wrestle offs

pin2win

@hagertony
be nice if someone had some inside info im very curious to hear whats going on leading up to these...hoping to collect on some bets from last year

I will be writing up a little preview before wrestle offs, but a few weights that will be interesting are 125, 141, and 157. It will be interesting to see where McDonough is at, Krutsinger got some experience last year and the new guy Ramos came in highly touted. Ramos has been dinged up and missed some time. I'm anxious to see what McD looks like at 125, he has looked good in workouts, but I want to see how he handles his weight.

At 141 the big surprise to me has been Marion and at this point I think he is the favorite. Leclere has proven himself to be a force and has looked solid. As we all know Slaton is capable, but you have to wonder where he is at mentally and he isn't in great shape either.

With Janssen dropping to 157 it will be interesting to see how he handles his weight much like McD. Ballweg has made improvement, but I still think he lacks the ability to create motion on his feet and in his defense. Newcomer St. John is very gifted, but has a way to go yet.

Hope that gives you a little taste to carry you over. Plan on catching a few more practices this week then I'll get something together.

Last edited:
I will be writing up a little preview before wrestle offs, but a few weights that will be interesting are 125, 141, and 157. It will be interesting to see where McDonough is at, Krutsinger got some experience last year and the new guy Ramos came in highly touted. Ramos has been dinged up and missed some time. I'm anxious to see what McD looks like at 125, he has looked good in workouts, but I want to see how he handles his weight.

At 141 the big surprise to me has been Marion and at this point I think he is the favorite. Leclere has proven himself to be a force and has looked solid. As we all know Slaton is capable, but you have to wonder where he is at mentally and he isn't in great shape either.

With Janssen dropping to 157 it will be interesting to see how he handles his weight much like McD. Ballweg has made improvement, but I still think he lacks the ability to create motion on his feet and in his defense. Newcomer St. John is very gifted, but has a way to go yet.

Hope that gives you a little taste to carry you over. Plan on catching a few more practices this week then I'll get something together.

This is good stuff, whatever you are able to put together in the next few weeks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks USAF. I will look forward to your write up and can't wait for wrestle offs. It is getting down to crunch time as wrestle offs are really only 2 weeks away now.

I agree that it will be interesting to see how McD handles the weight as he has been doing a good job getting down close. I think that if he can do it with success that he will do very well and be the guy. Krutsinger is a more than capable back up though and could challenge him. I hope that Ramos redshirts and gets completely healed up and adjusted to the college life. I really wish that Clark could wrestle this year!

141 will probably be the best battle but I still think that Leclere is the favorite for this weight. I still think that he will frustrate Marion with his solid position and defense. Montell has made huge strides and will make it interesting but his mat skills still aren't terrific. Slaton needs to make up his mind on what he really wants and realize that this is his last go round. He is as talented as anyone but needs to get things right.

157 should be a good battle but I still think that Ballweg wins this spot. He has made progress and will fair better this year but I definitely agree with most of the points you made and he will still struggle against top competition.

Hwt will be fun for the people that haven't been able to see any practices as many haven't seen much of Rasing or Johnson at this weight. I think that the Raser wins this battle and will do well for the Hawks but it should be fun to watch.

Krutsinger really exemplifies what an Iowa wreslter is. He works his butt off and gives 100% all of the time. He's the type of guy that doesnt have all the talent in the world but makes up for it in work ethic. He did a fine job filling in last year and would do fine if he end up with the spot this year. Having said that I think that it would be great if McD can make it down and stay down the whole season. He is the more talented of the two and would probably score more points at NCAA's. It owuld also be great for him to gain valuable varsity experience for his career.

Slaton has really got to sh*t or get off the pot. He's a great wrestler but wtf!? Does he even want to wrestle? Are accademics too much for him? Does he have a bad attitude? What gives with this guy? Why is he not in shape? I know he doesnt get to wrestle for the Hawks until second semester but he can still compete in open tournaments. If I were him and I have been letting the team down for over a year now I would be working my *** off jsut to prove to my coach that I deserve a shot to be the man when I get back the second semester.

I hope Marion lives up to the hype that he gets. So far weve seen him wrestle good in open tournaments and get into trouble a few times outside of wrestling. These are two guys that havnt or hadn't until recently bought into Brands' philosophy of living your life right in all aspects of it. I dont' think he's saying you have to be a choir boy but making good decisions is a big part of it. I hope Marion has turned it around and shows everyone what he is capable of.

LeClere is the guy that deserves the spot, imo based on his dedication to Iowa wrestling, keeping his grades in check and staying out of trouble. He is a hard worker and has put his time in to earn this spot on those variables. I hope he is the frontrunner right now and can prove it with his wrestling. I am in favor of putting the best wrestler on the mat and I hope it is Dan.

ive been impressed with marion's off the mat life...atleast what is reported in the papers...seems brands has made him realize that this isn't valley high school anymore...i hope his attitude has shaped up because i don't trust him with a W or a L!

I had not heard that Slaton can not go until second semester. What is the reason for this? I had understood that he got his academic things in order. Can someone please explain? Thanks!

"Slaton doesnt get to wrestle for the Hawks until second semester"

Latest posts