WR

Was there yesterday. There was not a unit walking out of there where I was concerned at this point. Makes the anticipation grow. And this was with still several players out.
A few offensive plays where deep sideline was 1on1 - a Keegan Johnson type missing was a difference maker. Was impressed with Elsbury at left guard. Thought he played like a man fighting for a job.
Colby looked good most times at RT. Lachey looks 2" taller - should be tougher red zone matchup w/ him and LaPorta.

Defense was itself after offense had 2 good drives to start day. VanNess, Shannon, Campbell, Jacobs, Benson, Merriweather, Moss, etc. - lots of experience and it showed. Would not want to be an opposing staff trying to deal with them.

All areas have dudes that are very physically impressive when you get up close.
3 weeks, Go Hawks!!
Thanks for your update.

Way to early to panic about receivers. Iowa has a lot of talented receivers that can play. The problem is getting a QB that can throw it to them.....Loved Jones, but in terms of college football, he's the enemy now, he's not coming back and he's a damm Boilermaker now. Best of luck against everyone else but hope he regrets his decision.
Um, I actually don't think Iowa has all that many scholarship receivers, from what I have heard.

Now, can they find another player and move over to WR, hmmmmmm. Not always an easy transition, learning that position.

I am very confident the QB position will be a problem.
Well in his defense he did say he was more confident in the QB position compared to the WR position. Not that he didn't think QB wouldn't be a problem...

I think it's both. Petras has to show it to me in games before I believe it. He's got 20 something starts under him so I feel like he is who he is at this point. To expect some drastic improvement would be nuts considering the Oline isn't going to be significantly better and neither are the WRs obviously...

Was there yesterday. There was not a unit walking out of there where I was concerned at this point. Makes the anticipation grow. And this was with still several players out.
A few offensive plays where deep sideline was 1on1 - a Keegan Johnson type missing was a difference maker. Was impressed with Elsbury at left guard. Thought he played like a man fighting for a job.
Colby looked good most times at RT. Lachey looks 2" taller - should be tougher red zone matchup w/ him and LaPorta.

Defense was itself after offense had 2 good drives to start day. VanNess, Shannon, Campbell, Jacobs, Benson, Merriweather, Moss, etc. - lots of experience and it showed. Would not want to be an opposing staff trying to deal with them.

All areas have dudes that are very physically impressive when you get up close.
3 weeks, Go Hawks!!

Thanks for the insight.

Hopefully the Mannings were able to work out some of the mechanics with him to help improve his accuracy.

Well in his defense he did say he was more confident in the QB position compared to the WR position. Not that he didn't think QB wouldn't be a problem...

I think it's both. Petras has to show it to me in games before I believe it. He's got 20 something starts under him so I feel like he is who he is at this point. To expect some drastic improvement would be nuts considering the Oline isn't going to be significantly better and neither are the WRs obviously...
I knew that and was partly being funny and partly serious. Not sure why Iowa didn't use Charlie Jones more at WR. Then again, I never understood why Fry didn't put the ball in Tim Dwight's hands more. Or even T Banks for that matter. I think what is missed is that Fry was actually pretty risk adverse and KF took it further.

Agree.
Did this QB issue contribute to the departure of Tracy & Jones?

It very well could have played into the decision. But, how does one separate out if it is a talent issue, vs offensive scheme vs O-line issues that played into the situation/results and their decision.
I think it was a combination, like it usually is, and probably why they chose to leave.

I don't think Tracy or Jones will ever admit or place blame on a player but it probably was a combination of the above. They probably thought they weren't going to get the touches to promote their NFL chances and this could be because of perceived lack of talent or skills at the QB postion, or offensive scheme concerns. Add into that the O-line not being up to where it should.

That isn't a good assessment. Purdue had some holes to fill. Iowa has been the better team overall, but which team has won? So, what is to be evaluated?
It's not a good assessment, I just don't give a shit about multi year players who got passed by incoming freshmen at their position that left for a program that can't hold Iowa's jock.

Lets also see how they do individually compared to their counterparts at Iowa.
I dont think they transferred to Purdue because it is or will be a more successful program.
see, then that makes me give AF even less about them. If they moved from one program to another because they want individual success and winning and losing doesn't matter to them then good riddance. If they were beat out I don't care about the attrition. Neither are going to make it in the NFL and going to Purdue definitely isn't going to change that. Who told them it would? Oconnel attempted 40 more passes then SP and AP did last season. Who would I rather have right now, Arland Bruce and Keagan Johnson or Tyron Tracey and Charlies Jones?

I think losing Jones obviously was big in the return game but feel like Iowa is going to have options there. I also really like TT as a person - his deal with the fan with Down Syndrome make him one of my favorite players to ever come through here. But it's an easy answer for me on who I want on the field more.

I do however worry about our depth at the position this year but I feel like Iowa definitely kept the better options.

Also - Iowa is going to win football games like it does every season... Purdue is going to lose a lot of games like it does every season.

Ultimately as a fan of the game that's all I care about.

I agree that Tracy may be replaceable with our current talent.
I think Jones was a big loss.
During the off-season I watched many of the season replays on the B10 Network. Jones always seemed to make big plays when we needed them. He was obviously talented, but he also possessed that intangible "playmaker" ability to do something extra - a punt return, kick return, diving catch, etc.
Talented as Bruce and Johnson may be, I believe we will miss Jones' contribution.

I forgot to mention Ritter

Dochterman and Howe mentioned that Raigaini is now on the shelf (hopefully minor). So without graduating anyone, they are currently missing 8 of their top 9 WR to finish last season. The practice photos are just Arland Bruce IV and a bunch of walk-ons I haven't heard of.

In positive news, Keagan Johnson showed up in the practice photos...not involved in team drills, but still a positive sign.

On a related note, they have 4 RBs they like...might be time to dust off the wildcat package.

Dochterman and Howe mentioned that Raigaini is now on the shelf (hopefully minor). So without graduating anyone, they are currently missing 8 of their top 9 WR to finish last season. The practice photos are just Arland Bruce IV and a bunch of walk-ons I haven't heard of.

In positive news, Keagan Johnson showed up in the practice photos...not involved in team drills, but still a positive sign.

I knew about KJ, I didn't know about Ragini. There is talk that KJ will likely miss the SDSU game....any truth to those rumors?

On a related note, they have 4 RBs they like...might be time to dust off the wildcat package.

2 and 3 TE sets are definitely in play. They are going to have to get a little creative, at least at the start of the season.

Latest posts