WR Frank Darby COMMITS to IOWA

ottoman89

I'm sure this has been known here for a few hours, but I figured I'd start a thread on it.

Frank Darby is a 3* 6'0" 184lb WR from New Jersey, he averaged 28 YPC last season.

Had offers from Pittsburgh, MASS and a few others.

http://247sports.com/Player/Frank-Darby-81563
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2204488/frank-darby

CIHuB-MWgAAuxx0.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

FRANKDARBY-050618-1.JPG

Call me optimistic.. but these last two WRs we've had commit excite me. Nice size and speed.. I love this quote by Darby:
"I like to win. If we need to get a 1st down on 3rd and 18, throw me the ball deep. I'm going to catch it."

Great get boys and girls!

I just checked out his video and he looks real quick. It is obvious that he is the fastest player on the field. I really liked his video a lot. I hope it translates to the next level because we could use a quicker wideout than we are used to.

Not to be a Debbie downer on this get, bc I love his speed.. But the things that stuck out most to me:

1) looked small
2) caught the ball with his body a lot
3) ran with the ball down at his side a lot

all of those things can (and probably will) be fixed before he contributes meaningfully.

It'd be nicer if he was taller but the way he tracks the ball and positions himself coupled with his athleticism in going up for the ball make us up for a lot. I agree in he needs to tuck that ball. He's going to get that knocked out of his hand in college. Kennedy should be able to fix that. Have to disagree about the catching with his body though. I came away with the opposite view on that. Looked like he has a very natural ability to grab the ball with his hands. I'm guessing he has some big hands which probably leads to him wanting to hold the ball with one hand while he runs.

Not to be a Debbie downer on this get, bc I love his speed.. But the things that stuck out most to me:

1) looked small
2) caught the ball with his body a lot
3) ran with the ball down at his side a lot

all of those things can (and probably will) be fixed before he contributes meaningfully.

I'm sure those are things that a coach looks at and thinks, heck I can fix/coach those small things. What they can't do is coach speed, and athleticism (with Iowa lacks).

Darby is 6'1 180 lbs. When DJK committed to Iowa, he was 6'1 185 lbs. and he turned out ok (performance-wise). Darby has some intangibles that look really good, hopefully his work ethic will allow him to be a productive piece of the puzzle.

Darby is 6'1 180 lbs. When DJK committed to Iowa, he was 6'1 185 lbs. and he turned out ok (performance-wise). Darby has some intangibles that look really good, hopefully his work ethic will allow him to be a productive piece of the puzzle.

That's a pretty good spot on comparison. They guy is ripped.

Looks like he's carrying a loaf of bread when he carries the football. Maybe he has hands like Odell Beckham Jr? Yeah, nothing like delusional optimism.

I remember a lot of people made fun of Matt VandeBerg. My how that changed. The coaches will fix any ball handling problems he has. If he's like lighting I don't care he's only 6`. Welcome to the Hawks Frank! Hang on to that attitude!

If he wants to play consistently at Iowa and be more than a one trick pony like Powell then he'll need to learn how to block. That's a tough thing to do for someone his size. If you're running the ball, which Iowa does a lot of, he's a liability if he can't block. The coaches will put someone else in and rightfully so.

I'm glad to have him, and hope he turns into a playmaker for the Hawks. I have to be honest though. If I were him I would have picked a school with a pass first spread offense. Get him the ball in space, let him make plays, and don't ask a small WR to block all the time in order to stay on the field.

Latest posts