WR: 2011

DuffMan

Outside of McNutt and Davis I know next to nothing about this group. I remember the Cotton kids name, but know little about him or his game. Loosing DJK, Sandeman, and Chaney means we are going to see 2-4 new faces next year emerge out of necessity. Does anyone know who they are or much about them?

Outside of McNutt and Davis I know next to nothing about this group. I remember the Cotton kids name, but know little about him or his game. Loosing DJK, Sandeman, and Chaney means we are going to see 2-4 new faces next year emerge out of necessity. Does anyone know who they are or much about them?

I have heard that Shumpert will be a player at the WR position, but needs to get bigger and stronger. I have also heard that Martin-Manley could push for some time as well. haven't heard much about Cotton or any of the other WR. some of the freshman might make some noise as well. Who knows on them.

I wouldnt count out any potential incoming freshman at this point. We will have to see how things go in the next 6-8 months.

The top names that jump out are:

- Shumpert: A lot of buzz ... the kid has impressive speed, size, and athleticism.
- Martin-Manley: Seems like a pretty refined WR as a playmaker. He flashed a lot at most of the open scrimmages/practices. He probably "needs work" when it comes to physical development and blocking in the running game.
- Cotton: A lot of positives coming out early about him. However, my impression is that he's pretty raw ... a lot like Andy Brodell. My guess is that he hasn't quite yet "turned the corner." However, when he does, he should be a good one.

TR FR: I also think that we'll see AT LEAST 1 TR FR see early action ... albeit in a capacity where they get up to game speed and learn the ropes.

- Grant: In my estimation Grant strikes me as a guy who seems most ready step up and contribute right away. The kid actually had nice tape on his BLOCKING out of high school ... you rarely see that. Also, he has good size and strength.

Looking forward to seeing what Davis can do in a full time starting role. Seemed like he's got great hands in the limited time I've seen him this year. Specifically I'm remembering Ball State where Stanzi hit him multiple times on one drive. I just remember thinking "Wow this kid's got great hands"

The top names that jump out are:

- Shumpert: A lot of buzz ... the kid has impressive speed, size, and athleticism.
- Martin-Manley: Seems like a pretty refined WR as a playmaker. He flashed a lot at most of the open scrimmages/practices. He probably "needs work" when it comes to physical development and blocking in the running game.
- Cotton: A lot of positives coming out early about him. However, my impression is that he's pretty raw ... a lot like Andy Brodell. My guess is that he hasn't quite yet "turned the corner." However, when he does, he should be a good one.

These are the only 3 that I've really heard much of anything about.

From a purely speculative standpoint, we could see more of CJ Fed flexed out a bit as a WR, much like we do/have done with Moeaki/Reisner in the past.

Iowa's 3 leading receivers next year with be Mcnutt, Davis, and whoever starts at running back. Herman will obviously get more touches and expect CJ to contribute. If Mcnutt doesn't get at least 800 yards receiving and 7-10 td's I will be very disappointed. Davis should be close to matching Mcnutt in yards and td's if this year's trend continues and Davis fills the void that DJK will leave.

The names reference so far are correct...

The main concern heading into next year will be if MM decides to declare early. There have been some grumblings.

The main concern heading into next year will be if MM decides to declare early. There have been some grumblings.

No way this happens. Bad move on his part if he does. He "should be" a pre-season all Big Ten and Pre-season All American next year. If he backs it up on the field next he could be a first round pick. Spotlight will be on him with DJK leaving.

Even though I don't think he is quite polished yet and could use another year.........I don't blame him if he is doing his "homework" and getting a feel for where is at. If he has a certain round in mind and if the "right" people tell him he won't slide past that certain round then he probably should go.

Even though I don't think he is quite polished yet and could use another year.........I don't blame him if he is doing his "homework" and getting a feel for where is at. If he has a certain round in mind and if the "right" people tell him he won't slide past that certain round then he probably should go.

With the labor dispute that is looming, I just don't see him leaving early.

I've said this a million times.....if wegher comes back I wouldn't mind a position switch to wr.

With the labor dispute that is looming, I just don't see him leaving early.

This is it. I will never blame a player for leaving early to make money if they can get drafted at a place suitable for them. But, if he leaves early for a lower round to not play or make money when he can better himself as a player and draft prospect then that is stupid.

These are the only 3 that I've really heard much of anything about.

From a purely speculative standpoint, we could see more of CJ Fed flexed out a bit as a WR, much like we do/have done with Moeaki/Reisner in the past.

I agree. I think that we could also end up seeing our more versatile RBs lined up wide too.

Last edited:
I don't see McNutt leaving early. His whole career he's been the #2 receiver. If he goes pro, I see him falling into the Braylon Edwards career path. He'd be the #1 guy until a "REAL" #1 guy joined the team (see Holmes, Santonio). I think if he sticks around for another year and becomes THE #1 guy on the team (which is likely to happen especially with a new QB) he could play himself into the early 2nd round/late 1st.

With regard to other receivers for next year, they've been listed already. Shumpert I think will be a really good receiver with his speed and athleticism, but he's switching from D to O so it remains to be seen what kind of learning curve will exist. I'm really excited about Martin-Manley too. He has a list of HS accolades a block long and his film is extremely impressive. This year we've gotten commits from 3 TEs (Jake Duzey, Ray Hamilton, and Henry Krieger-Coble) but I doubt all 3 stay at TE. I think Hamilton is a no-brainer to stay there, and Krieger-Coble I think will stay at TE or transition to LB. But I think Duzey is perfect for the slot. He's 6-4, 220 and runs a 4.5 40. In HS he ran the screen EXTREMELY well and was good at losing LBs in coverage. I think he'll be a really effective receiver if we move him to the slot.

I think it will be Hyde. He was catching some during warm ups at tOSU game.

Not so sure. He'd be a good choice but we may also go to somebody like Willie Lowe because he's got more speed. Depending on depth we might also turn return duties over to Torrey Campbell who is likely to be the fastest player on the team the moment he laces up the cleats.

Latest posts