Wow

Being young only helps out the future IF you can develop well. Generally, I think Iowa's staff does that but for some reason it doesn't consistently show on the field. I'm not sure why that is. Is it recruiting guys with a limited growth potential? Is it a mental issue? Is it a ultra-conservative game plan, etc.? I've never quite figured out why it can't be a little more consistent from one year to the next.

To me, it seems like Ferentz and staff are following a similar plan as Wisconsin. Even on the field. Why they can't put multiple very good seasons back-to-back mystifies me.

Being young only helps out the future IF you can develop well. Generally, I think Iowa's staff does that but for some reason it doesn't consistently show on the field. I'm not sure why that is. Is it recruiting guys with a limited growth potential? Is it a mental issue? Is it a ultra-conservative game plan, etc.? I've never quite figured out why it can't be a little more consistent from one year to the next.

To me, it seems like Ferentz and staff are following a similar plan as Wisconsin. Even on the field. Why they can't put multiple very good seasons back-to-back mystifies me.
F2zg.gif

That maybe true however at least we didn't make this list. Lol
https://www.google.com/amp/s/fiveth...all-teams-are-always-overrated-in-august/amp/

People keep saying Iowa develops talent. Can someone post real numbers on how they really rank in terms of recruits coming in and out in accomplishments and NFL results compared to other programs weighted by teams results compared to other teams?

People keep saying Iowa develops talent. Can someone post real numbers on how they really rank in terms of recruits coming in and out in accomplishments and NFL results compared to other programs weighted by teams results compared to other teams?
Funny you should ask.
I was looking for something and stumbled across the following. It doesn't exactly answer your question, but coupled with the link I posted above about what schools are over rated, there is a lot to hash over and think about.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/97422242

BTW, I am glad we have decided to put more effort in recruiting!!!!!!

So even with lower recruiting rankings ( did I mention I'm glad to see us recruiting better? Lol)

We have 34 in the league.
Nebraska best recruiting in the west, has 33
Wisconsin second best in recruiting in the west has 36
OSU with top 5 recruiting classes has 54.
Even friggin Northwestern out recruited us, yet only has 14 in the pros.

Last edited:
Yeah, but in some ways that means being rated, doesn't it? ;)
It means that almost half the time Wisconsin doesn't live up to being ranked 20th.
Development. It's about where you finish.
The other links show that there are very very few schools that develop talent like Iowa.
The problem has been, if we could string together a 5 year span of top 25 recruiting classes, look out.
It's been picking up, that combined with the proof we develop better than almost anyone, means I would be very bullish on the Hawks for the next several years. As soon as Iowa gets off it's arse about sports betting.

It means that almost half the time Wisconsin doesn't live up to being ranked 20th.
Development. It's about where you finish.
The other links show that there are very very few schools that develop talent like Iowa.
The problem has been, if we could string together a 5 year span of top 25 recruiting classes, look out.
It's been picking up, that combined with the proof we develop better than almost anyone, means I would be very bullish on the Hawks for the next several years. As soon as Iowa gets off it's arse about sports betting.
Actually, 4th, it means that more than half the time Wisconsin does live up to the expectations. As I said, you do develop well but it's just short on the field which often leads to going into a season unrated and finishing that way. Or being so low in the ratings that it's not hard to improve upon that rating. OSU is on the other end. ND and Texas are classic unperformers. Just being honest, 4th. I'm sure you can figure it out too.

Actually, 4th, it means that more than half the time Wisconsin does live up to the expectations. As I said, you do develop well but it's just short on the field which often leads to going into a season unrated and finishing that way. Or being so low in the ratings that it's not hard to improve upon that rating. OSU is on the other end. ND and Texas are classic unperformers. Just being honest, 4th. I'm sure you can figure it out too.
Hey I didn't come up with the numbers or write the article.
Like I said, it's pretty tough to seriously compete when you have an avg of 53rd in recruiting.
You asked why we couldn't string together more winning seasons and I'm telling you why.
Jesus, Illinois was at 46 last year and we were at 41. Which according to the link I posted was our best class in 5 years. Illinois???
Yet our 41st ranked class (we played a ton of freshman) had no problem taking Nebraska and OSU out back of the wood shed. :) ;)
It's not development that is the problem. The numbers show we are one of the best in the country.
Imagine if our avg of 53rd with a best of 41st was say 25th.

Last edited:
Hey I didn't come up with the numbers or write the article.
Like I said, it's pretty tough to seriously compete when you have an avg of 53rd in recruiting.
You asked why we couldn't string together more winning seasons and I'm telling you why.
Jesus, Illinois was at 46 last year and we were at 41. Which according to the link I posted was our best class in 5 years. Illinois???
Yet our 41st ranked class (we played a ton of freshman) had no problem taking Nebraska and OSU out back of the wood shed. :) ;)
We've been right there with you every year, 4th, as far as recruiting goes. There's no question you do develop well, I just don't know why you never seem to be able to take the next step and consistently win more than 8 games. This is the best class by far we've had in forever.

Last edited:

There are three things that have stopped Iowa from taking it to the next level over the last 8 years. 1)Iowa basically spent 2012-2014 starting a FB as their featured runner. Most of this had to do with attrition at the position whether it was transfers, injuries, or being players being dismissed from the team. It shouldn’t be hard to find at least one capable Power 5 RB and Iowa’s bad luck over a 3-5 year time frame was incredible. 2) Iowa’s OL’s always seem to have had a couple of good pieces, but the units overall have been more along the lines of average to above average. Even in 2015 when the Ol paved the way for a pair of 1,000 rushers, they struggled in pass protection. 3) Much like the OL, the DL usually has a solid individual, but they often haven the had two difference makers simultaneously up front.

Latest posts