Wow

There are three things that have stopped Iowa from taking it to the next level over the last 8 years. 1)Iowa basically spent 2012-2014 starting a FB as their featured runner. Most of this had to do with attrition at the position whether it was transfers, injuries, or being players being dismissed from the team. It shouldn’t be hard to find at least one capable Power 5 RB and Iowa’s bad luck over a 3-5 year time frame was incredible. 2) Iowa’s OL’s always seem to have had a couple of good pieces, but the units overall have been more along the lines of average to above average. Even in 2015 when the Ol paved the way for a pair of 1,000 rushers, they struggled in pass protection. 3) Much like the OL, the DL usually has a solid individual, but they often haven the had two difference makers simultaneously up front.
I forgot about your miserable luck at RB back then. It was horrendous.

We've been right there with you every year, 4th as far a recruiting goes. There's no question you do develop well, I just don't know why the results aren't as consistent as ours have been. This is the best class by far we've had in forever.
Your 5 year avg is 36.6, that's a ton of ground between that and 53rd.
I'm not saying recruiting rankings are everything.
But the scope or broader picture, it does matter.
As for is this guy a high 3 and that one is a low 4, no it doesn't matter. I trust they know what they are looking for, but then go get it. But if you figure 22 per class over a 5 year span, the numbers start to matter.

There are three things that have stopped Iowa from taking it to the next level over the last 8 years. 1)Iowa basically spent 2012-2014 starting a FB as their featured runner. Most of this had to do with attrition at the position whether it was transfers, injuries, or being players being dismissed from the team. It shouldn’t be hard to find at least one capable Power 5 RB and Iowa’s bad luck over a 3-5 year time frame was incredible. 2) Iowa’s OL’s always seem to have had a couple of good pieces, but the units overall have been more along the lines of average to above average. Even in 2015 when the Ol paved the way for a pair of 1,000 rushers, they struggled in pass protection. 3) Much like the OL, the DL usually has a solid individual, but they often haven the had two difference makers simultaneously up front.
This is the most important word in this post when comparing the different trajectories Iowa and Wisconsin have taken the last 10 years or so.

Four or five years ago, Hawk Central had a nice article about both programs and the stark differences in regards to attrition. It was eye-opening. Over a 5 year span, Iowa had something like 26 players lost due to injury, transfer, dismissal, etc., whereas Wisconsin had something like five. For whatever reason, Wisconsin has simply done a much better job retaining players. It's hard to consistently develop when you keep starting over.

My assumption is the inordinate amount of attrition Iowa suffered over that time served as the impetus for the change in recruiting philosophy we are currently experiencing. The staff has had a renewed emphasis on character, and buying into the culture of the program as opposed to simple statistics and ratings. It seems to be paying off the last few cycles. Now we just need to see it transfer to the field.

Not sure what to make of NFLdevelopment. One the W results, Nebby is a disaster. Wisk actually is pretty good. The east is eay to understand. Nw does well. Iowa better hope Lovie doesnt figure things out or it coud be Iowa IL duking it for the 3 spot.

Latest posts