Wow! Never realized This!

MelroseHawkins

I was looking up some historical info on Iowa women's basketball. The women's team started playing at Iowa in 1974. I would have thought it would have started a couple decades before that. I was born before that! Just surprised me.

Seriously women didnt get emancipated as early as you think. Des Moines High Schools had zero, nada, no high school girls bball until about 1970 iirc. Not even 6-girl bball. Title IX wasnt passed until 1972 and I just looked up an article that said in 1970 20% of high school girl athletes were in Iowa even though the state had only 1% of the population. But that has all changed.

I graduated from Des Moines Lincoln in 1970 and there was no girls bball, volleyball, track and field, softball , hardly anything. Amazing how long women and girls have been held back in many areas, but not surprising.

I miss the old 6 on 6 game, it was unique to women's sports and fun to watch.

Yeah, I know what you mean but at the same time all the lady players needed to showcase their talents at both ends of the court by the mid-70's to get scholarships.

It is just amazing how good of shooters the ladies are. Put the men to shame at the free throw line

Latest posts