Would you want Iowa in a bowl at 5-7?

The only way I'd want to go would be if the team had tanked out at 2-12 and got better the next year at 5-7. I'd only want it then to further develop the players. To be honest I'd be embarrassed to say my team is bowling with a 5-7 record. Go post this at cyfan and I'm sure 99% would say yes.

No. There is a point where enough is enough and 5-7 is that point. I gained a measure of respect for Notre Dame a few years ago when they turned a bowl down at 6-6. Yes they had some unique circumstances because they fired Charlie but any bowl a power 5 team gets at 6-6 or 5-7 this year is beneath them.

Rather than the bowl practices, hand the players off to Doyle and let him do his job.

Yes, absolutely. Beathard would not be starting this year if he hadn't looked good in the "bowl practices" last year!!!!
Oooohh. He looked so good in bowl practices that he was not named the starter for the bowl game.

I would take any bowl invite. Any chance to watch the Hawks over the Holidays is good. Something is really missing when they don't.

Nope...in fact I agree with Xerxes, I don't think I would be that up for it at 6-6 either....I'd watch if they went, but wouldn't be all "get out the tailgate gear mama, it's game day"!

Only circumstance I see where it helps is what holihawk said above about rewarding a young improving team from the privious year being in the cellar. If it's Iowa at 5-7, id rather the coaches to get more milage by focusing on recruiting and their own self development at that point.

Last edited:
Nope. I wouldn't want it. It took awhile for me to rationalize 6-6 teams going to bowls. But 5-7? No way. It's not up to college football to save some of these lower-tier bowls from their own stupidity. Rather than touting these extra practices as manna from heaven why not go back to the drawing board and work on a plan for next year?

No. I don't care about an extra game or 15 extra practices.

No.

I can understand that perspective from a fan's standpoint, but a coach would take take those 15 practices every time. That's almost a whole other camp. It could make a huge difference going into the next year in allowing some young guys to emerge. Especially at a school like Iowa where the recruits need time to develop and blossom.

I am still upset about 2007. That had to have been one of the last times that a 6-6 Iowa team would not have gone. They should have went! Now 5-7 teams are, I don't have a problem with that per say, but I wish that it would have been a little better in 2007.

No. I don't even want a bowl game at 6-6. That is a crappy season and 1 more win against some other crap team isn't going to change it.

Those kids put their blood sweat and tears into the program. I don't see any harm in giving them a vacation and 15 extra practices to get better.

Honestly, do you have an original thought in your head, or, do you just pick an opposite side just to argue?

P.s. it's not making me look bad at all when you do it....just so you know.

No, you do plenty of that on your own.

If Iowa ended 5-7, I'd be thinking about viable alternative head coaches for Iowa.

At least there'd be that motivation to get better we saw this season. I hope Iowa retains that motivation for next season.

Last edited:
Hell no. Stay home and get locked down in Doyle's dungeon.
Dude, no bowl means the coaches don't get their bonuses. How can you be that cruel? Also, would Doyle be able to over-see them during December?