Would you want Iowa in a bowl at 5-7?

H

heatdawg

I know it will never happen now that we're at the next level, and btw thank you Kirk and the assistant coaches and the players. You guys are making Hawkeye dreams come true.

Would you guys want Iowa to go to a bowl at 5-7?

When ya think about it, how cool is it knowing Iowa will always be bowl-eligible with Captain Kirk at the helm.

I dont think so, I know they would probably need the extra 15 practices but that would be a pretty avg to below avg team

I think the better question is: If you were a renowned school in a p5 conference and went 8-4, having been ranked a few times through-out the season and being on the cusp of a top 25 final ranking, would you want to play against a 5-7 team? I for one would be offended. There is no glory in beating a 5-7 team in a bowl and only bad things can come from losing to a team like that.

I'd be up for watching another game. Doesn't mean I'd take much pride in them winning or anything.

No. I don't care about an extra game or 15 extra practices.

No.

Well, as a Husker fan, I'll take another opportunity to see my team play. In this case, it's in my backyard, so even better. Nothing proud about the record, but it's not going to hurt the team to get the extra reps, especially with the new systems this year. I love bowl season, but we do have way too many of them now so I wouldn't be upset if we they upped the threshold to 6-6 (even if we managed to go 5-7 again next year).

Well, as a Husker fan, I'll take another opportunity to see my team play. In this case, it's in my backyard, so even better. Nothing proud about the record, but it's not going to hurt the team to get the extra reps, especially with the new systems this year. I love bowl season, but we do have way too many of them now so I wouldn't be upset if we they upped the threshold to 6-6 (even if we managed to go 5-7 again next year).

Actually I think the threshold is 6 wins. It was waived when a shortage of 6-win teams became clear. If there had been a shortage of 5-win teams then it is probably lowered to 4 wins. So in theory under the right circumstances our 2012 team is bowl eligible and we add a sweet-*** trophy to our sweet-*** football complex. Nowledge is good.

It is a myth that teams need the extra bowl practices. There is no proof they make Iowa better or worse

2011 go 7-6 go to a bowl
2012 go 4-8 even though they had bow practices the year before
2013 go 8-5 even though they did not have bowl practices the year before
2014 go 7-6 even though they did have bowl practices.
2015 go 12-1

I do not see any recognizable patten if they have bowl practices or not.

With that said I think its possible for fans to develop bowl fatigue if they go every year.

So I think the best answer is if Iowa went a bowl the year before, then they should skip a bowl if they go 5-7. If they did not go to bowl the year before, then yes go to a bowl at 5-7.

I would probably say no,how ever we did go to the Alamo Bowl only because we were playing Texas and San Antonio is a great place to be.Can't remember but I think our record was 6-6.Refs cost us that one also.

Yes, absolutely. Beathard would not be starting this year if he hadn't looked good in the "bowl practices" last year!!!!

If someone wants to invite your team to play a team (in most cases) a team you don't usually play why not. No matter what the situation is I do not think it is a bad thing. I should clarify that I think our coaches keep it pretty grounded with the athletes. I don't think this is the best situation for all teams. If your team doesn't want to play then no don't go because you will most likely be sending some kids home early.

Yes, absolutely. Beathard would not be starting this year if he hadn't looked good in the "bowl practices" last year!!!!

Yep. You'd never see Kirk say he doesn't want more practices. I'm guessing cuz he remembers what he learned in 1st grade: Practice makes perfect. Or at least better.

No, no, a thousand times no.

#1--If you're 5-7, the 'extra practices' are merely perpetuating a failed season. Why prolong it?
#2--If you're 5-7, the best thing is to just STOP the season and start over
#3--If you're 5-7 and in a bowl, chances are probably better than average you're going to lose (yet another one).

It's called addition through subtraction.

Is a bowl game at 5-7 better or worse then going to the playoffs, I'm not sure and need someone to explain both sides of this issue to me. Thanks!

Is a bowl game at 5-7 better or worse then going to the playoffs, I'm not sure and need someone to explain both sides of this issue to me. Thanks!

Honestly, do you have an original thought in your head, or, do you just pick an opposite side just to argue?

P.s. it's not making me look bad at all when you do it....just so you know.

If you're 5-7, and if you choose the bowl game, I'd assume the coaches are not bowl-prepping at that point as much as they're looking at/working with the younger talent for next year.

If that's the case, then OK, but it defeats the "spirit of the law" for having the extra "bowl prep" practices.

Latest posts