Would you Support Gregory Hire?

Would you be SATISFIED with the Gregory Hire?

• Yes

Votes: 40 51.3%
  • No

Votes: 38 48.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Popular sentiment seems to be settling that Drew will be a no-go and that Brian Gregory is the man that stands in the way of (my personal choice) Steve Forbes.

I want to know if you would be SATISFIED (even if not your ideal) with the Gregory hire.

So what have you heard on Drew? I have heard NOTHING about him this week, one way or the either. Do you have some info on this?

So what have you heard on Drew? I have heard NOTHING about him this week, one way or the either. Do you have some info on this?
No. Nothing concrete. I wanted Drew to be assumed out for the purpose of this poll. My statement regarding sentiment toward him being a no-go was due to a thread where Mr. Maggard was strongly supporting the belief that Drew would not take the Iowa job.

Whomever we hire Ill get behind, Gregory is by no means my top choice, but whomever Barta hires ill be behind 100%. I think Forbes would be the best fit for Iowa. but whoever gets the job Ill give a chance to win back my enthusiasm for Hawkeye basketball! cause the last 5 years have been tough!

Yeah but those coaches go to the tournament more times than not. And recruit top 10 to 15 classes. And win conference titles.

Gregory hasn't done that. He has finished 7th or worse in conference 4 out of 6 years

Exactly, and there is a big difference between the A-10 and the Big Ten/Big East.

I'd be uncomfortable with him if he's really asking for $2 million. I'd pay that for some coaches but going to 2 NCAAs in 7 years at Dayton is worth 33% more than Bo Ryan? How?

The only thing Gregory has going for him is that he was once an assitant to Izzo, and that's it. His conference record sucks, and if he can't compete in the Atlantic 10 how do you think he will fare in the Big 10? I would rather see Jacobson before Gregory if we are going the mid major route again, at least Jacobson wins his conference. I would not support this hire until the man proved himself by winning. Until then I will continue to support the financial anchor that is the Iowa basketball program with my season football ticket purchases.

Last edited:
I will support whatever coach is hired. As it is, it looks like we are going to have to settle for a wait and see coach. Alford was "here comes the next level," Lick was get Iowa back to where we should be," the next guy looks like it will be more like, "please let the bleeding stop."

So you wouldn't take Pastner, Roy Williams, et al?

Interesting...

With this logic we should have hired Ed DeChellis, hell he won the NIT last year! And look how he has fared since. Not interested in a mid major coach who finished 7th in the Atlantic 10.

I would support a hire of Gregory, without a doubt. Did anyone see his team beat Illinois in Champaign the other night. When was the last time Iowa went down there and won a game? He coaches an exciting style of basketball. Also, the athletes he had on the court for UD were outstanding. And they were recruited by Gregory. Their team speed was something that we would love to have at Iowa.

I, like many of the other posters, like Forbes. He is my top choice, and he wants the job. But I would also 100% support Gregory, who is my #2. I honestly do not think we could go wrong with either of them. I think they are our most realistic choices to coach our beloved Hawkeyes.

With this logic we should have hired Ed DeChellis, hell he won the NIT last year! And look how he has fared since. Not interested in a mid major coach who finished 7th in the Atlantic 10.

That's not what I am saying. What I am saying is to dismiss a coach simply because his team is in the NIT isn't the smartest approach.

I would support a hire of Gregory, without a doubt. Did anyone see his team beat Illinois in Champaign the other night. When was the last time Iowa went down there and won a game? He coaches an exciting style of basketball. Also, the athletes he had on the court for UD were outstanding. And they were recruited by Gregory. Their team speed was something that we would love to have at Iowa.

I, like many of the other posters, like Forbes. He is my top choice, and he wants the job. But I would also 100% support Gregory, who is my #2. I honestly do not think we could go wrong with either of them. I think they are our most realistic choices to coach our beloved Hawkeyes.

Out of all the coaches out there, Forbes is your #1 and Gregory is your #2???? Seriously??? Just because those are the names being tossed around doesn't mean we can't do better. We don't know who the search committee and/or Barta has talked to or who they plan to talk to.

I think you should set your sights a little higher.

Out of all the coaches out there, Forbes is your #1 and Gregory is your #2???? Seriously??? Just because those are the names being tossed around doesn't mean we can't do better. We don't know who the search committee and/or Barta has talked to or who they plan to talk to.

I think you should set your sights a little higher.

I have been setting my sights high...I just think these are the 2 most realistic chances to be our next coach. That's all. Just like 99.9% of the people on here, I think Pearl is our guy. But that isn't going to happen.

So you wouldn't take Pastner, Roy Williams, et al?

Interesting...

No to Pastner, at this point. Roy Williams actually coaches in a major conference and has won a National Championship, much different. One year struggling in the ACC is much different than 7 years in the A-10, with 2 NCAA Tournament appearances and 3 seasons with no postseason.

Latest posts