Votes: 36 56.3%
  • No, without exception

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Yes, conditionally

Votes: 16 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DuffMan

Honeset question, would you have any problem with your child wrestling as a youth or in HS?

Personally I enjoy the sport a great deal, and feel wrestling gives atheltes a type of one on one competetive environment that is increadibly unique and valuable to the athlete. That said if my child wanted to wrestle in HS I would have hesitations, primarily around the culture of cutting weight and restrictive diet. Young atheltes are still in the process of developing physically, and restricting diet in any way will undoubtedly impact their physical develpoment.

If my child decides wrestling is his chosen activity I would begrudingly allow him to do it, but I would weigh him the day after his last football game/practice and restrict him to wrestling at (withing a few pounds) of his weight or above. I understand HS programs have restrictions on how much weight a wrestler can "safely" lose but frankly that doesn't go far enough.

Last edited:
Not a big fan of the cutting weight...but regardless....he will be a basketball player. so it's a moot point.

I just like to go to wrestling meets so I can mindlessly scream "TWO!!!" while holding up two fingers.

My 7 year old wrestled pee wee this year for the first time. As long as he is having fun then I will let him do it. But no way at his age would I make him cut weight and it pisses me off watching other parents do it to their kids.

To be honest, I thought you were trying to keep the momentum of busting our balls. You bring up a valid point. Cutting weight is very dangerous and I'm glad that you would keep on top of it.

My 7 year old wrestled pee wee this year for the first time. As long as he is having fun then I will let him do it. But no way at his age would I make him cut weight and it pisses me off watching other parents do it to their kids.

Kids are cutting weight at 7 now? Freaking insane.

Almost every sport you run risks with allowing your child to play weather it's steroids, concussions, cutting weight or whatever else. I'd let my child wrestle if that's what he wanted to do, no question.

Kids are cutting weight at 7 now? Freaking insane.

Yep, my wife witnessed a parent coming unglued on a teacher for allowing their son to eat pizza because he was cutting weight for the tournament last Saturday. The boy is in 1st grade.

haha nice work! Im not a big fan of sex in cars. just BJ's. To much restriction! Now a truck bed... hell yeah..

Funny you mention that as I came across this on Amazon yesterday while I was shopping for a new air mattress.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Truck-Bedz-Weekender-Model-VFSB-F1/dp/B000EGWO5Y/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1331059559&sr=8-5]Amazon.com: Weekender Model VFSB F1: Home & Kitchen[/ame]

Almost every sport you run risks with allowing your child to play weather it's steroids, concussions, cutting weight or whatever else. I'd let my child wrestle if that's what he wanted to do, no question.

Agreed, but wrestling carries all those other risks PLUS this. Wrestling is the only sport other than womens gymnastics in which restricting diet is a "normal" part of.

The mere fact wrestling has that in common with womens gymnastics should be reason enough to be concerned.

I dont know about you guys, but a lot of kids i see around these days need to cut weight. Their parents are jamming processed, sugar snacks in their bellies. Not Good! after school snacks have turned into a huge meal for some kids

Agreed, and I'd argue that that teacher as a manditory reporter has the legal and moral responsibility to contact the police.

Actually my wife is as well. But I am not sure there are grounds here for child abuse. The boy is not starved and he is in good health.

I dont know about you guys, but a lot of kids i see around these days need to cut weight. Their parents are jamming processed, sugar snacks in their bellies. Not Good! after school snacks have turned into a huge meal for some kids

There is a major difference between cutting weight by starvation and because of proper nutrition and exercise. That said, the parent being upset at the teacher for serving pizza could be associated with the latter.

Latest posts