would they fire Harbaugh if Iowa blows them out of the water?

Harbaugh has had a really interesting but weird coaching history, both in the NFL and in college. He took Stanford over when they were really down (I think coming off a 1 win season) and got them winning and to a Rose Bowl in short order. He took a down 49'ers team and got them to the Div c-ship game and almost to a Super Bowl. But, in both places he seemed to wear out his welcome quite fast. So you have an accelerated success followed by him leaving, usually on mutual terms. Really strange.

I was listening to the radio talk show with Chuck Long and Sage Rosenfels. I can't remember which one said it but they commented on Harbaugh is a really good recruiter and rah rah guy in the locker room to pump up players but is not really a good X's and O's coach at all. This makes complete sense looking at his quick success followed by mediocrity wherever he goes. He seems to get talent right away but his shitick gets old after a few years and he's not a great X's and O's coach so it goes downhill. That might be where he currently is now at Michigan.

Harbaugh has had a really interesting but weird coaching history, both in the NFL and in college. He took Stanford over when they were really down (I think coming off a 1 win season) and got them winning and to a Rose Bowl in short order. He took a down 49'ers team and got them to the Div c-ship game and almost to a Super Bowl. But, in both places he seemed to wear out his welcome quite fast. So you have an accelerated success followed by him leaving, usually on mutual terms. Really strange.
I saw some interviews and stories on that phenomenon back when Michigan first announced they were hiring him, and every single person that they interviewed said it wasn’t necessarily because he wasn’t a smart coach or because he was an asshole, but because of how weird the guy is. He loses locker rooms and front office support because he’s crazier than a shithouse rat and you can definitely hear it in his press conferences and interviews.

It goes way beyond just being “quirky” or “eccentric,” the guy is like John DuPont-level bonkers.

Except for the fact that Michigan's name/history essentially recruit for themselves and Harbaugh's inability to win games in which they aren't favored has spoken for itself. I guess there's no shame in keeping him long term and being happy with 2nd place in the east most years.

I definitely see where you're coming from, but their "long term" goal in hiring him was winning conference championships and NC's and he's not delivering. I don't think a program with the prestige of Michigan is going to stay with a golden boy who can't get it done. I see them in the same boat as Nebby with regards to expectations, the difference of course being Michigan is still somewhat relevant nationally.
Very true I agree. It's tough to get over the hump. OSU is on top of the mountain in our league with Bama and Clemson ruling the larger picture. For Michigan to break through it'd take a perfect scenario. They'd need stud players a favorable schedule and one or more of those other schools namely OSU to take a step back. There's things out of a coaches control that have to happen too. Not making excuses for him but. Well yeah I guess I pretty much am. But doesn't make it less true. Idc what they do frankly. I just don't think firing Harbaugh would speed up the process for them to get to where they want to be..

Let's get this out of the way right now. I can't stand Jimmy. There's literally nothing about him I can stand. From his recruit sleepovers to his thousand yard stare to his uppity "who has it better than us" attitude.

But this thread has to be a joke, right?

The guy is 41-15, which is damn near 75%. Are you people seriously debating if Michigan would fire their native son with a 75% winning %?

Yeah, he hasn't beaten OSU....big deal, so has damn near no one else either.

So yeah, I can't stand Harbaugh....but I hate "stupid" even more.....

The one thing I'll add to this is he can't keep getting beat by MSU. If Ohio St is going to dominate Michigan like it has been, he can't be losing to MSU very often at all.

They've really struggled in this rivalry since Carr left and while Jimmy is 2-2 against MSU, Michigan fans want that to be more like 3-1 at the worst over a 4 game span. Also, he's going to still catch heat for his predecessors failing to win this game.

Very true I agree. It's tough to get over the hump. OSU is on top of the mountain in our league with Bama and Clemson ruling the larger picture. For Michigan to break through it'd take a perfect scenario. They'd need stud players a favorable schedule and one or more of those other schools namely OSU to take a step back. There's things out of a coaches control that have to happen too. Not making excuses for him but. Well yeah I guess I pretty much am. But doesn't make it less true. Idc what they do frankly. I just don't think firing Harbaugh would speed up the process for them to get to where they want to be..

No need to fire him. I like them right where they are.

No. Jimmy is never getting fired.

He’ll be told behind the scenes to start looking for an NFL job or

he’ll step down having concerns with health issues from having the khakis hiked up high and tight for years.

He is never getting fired.

Agreed. They won't out and out fire him. He will be told behind the scenes ahead of time to look for a different job so he can save face. He's also not going anywhere before this season is over.

I bet there's a better chance of Jimmy walking away on his own back to the pros then for him to get fired. He seems to be a guy that would get out ahead of the posse. Till now 4 or 5 yrs has been the most he's been anywhere really. He's not like his brother. I'm sure he'd hoped Michigan would have been his last stop but if the boat keeps sinking...

I was listening to the radio talk show with Chuck Long and Sage Rosenfels. I can't remember which one said it but they commented on Harbaugh is a really good recruiter and rah rah guy in the locker room to pump up players but is not really a good X's and O's coach at all. This makes complete sense looking at his quick success followed by mediocrity wherever he goes. He seems to get talent right away but his shitick gets old after a few years and he's not a great X's and O's coach so it goes downhill. That might be where he currently is now at Michigan.
Yeah. I can see that. Which makes it all the more important to have X & O co-ordinators

I'm sure he'd hoped Michigan would have been his last stop but if the boat keeps sinking...
Row the boat .... faster?

Sounds familiar. Maybe Michigan should change their helmet to 3 oars and a split canoe on each side

If Michigan continues to perform the rest of this season as they have so far they will lose 3-4 games. Harbaugh will be out. It's quite easy to see the ceiling is not high with this guy. Folks with the power at MU have to see this as easily as I can. Plus the wacko thing.

If Iowa beats down on Mich on Sat. And Harbaugh gets fired, that is an insult to Iowa. Just sayin’.

eat-more-chicken.jpg

harbaugh2.jpg

His job is safe.

Latest posts