Would 6-12 in Big 10 Play Be Acceptable Next Year?

dncolo2

I ask the question because many people are saying if Iowa basketball reaches at least the .500 level next season that will be a vast improvement and reason enough to let Lickliter coach a 5th year here.

Well guess what. Going only 6-12 overall next season in Big 10 play likely will ensure us a .500 or even better overall record. I anticipate our non-conference schedule will be so watered down that winning at least 10 non-conference games is very possible.

Does a coach in his 4th year here, who wins as little as 6 Big 10 games in that year- which would be the most league wins during his tenure at that point- be allowed to coach a 5th season?

I'm asking because this scenario is extremely likely if an overall .500 record is what many seem should be the benchmark.

Nope. Also....the Hawks need to at least make the NIT or Lick should be fired.

My prediction: the Hawks do NOT make the NIT or NCAA and Lick still keeps his job.

Personally, I would find 6-12 disgusting. That record will ensure that Iowa remains a bottom feeder in the Big 10.

Barta and Lickliter probably would see that record as having definited TURNED the corner and being on our way. That record would probably get Lickliter another year. Many Iowa fans would just say the freshman class was young and that the team mostly had freshmen and sophomores and what did people expect. With the new class coming in, Iowa will be set for a big run to .500 in the Big 10.

.500 for TL would be an improvement and seemingly how it has worked at Iowa is that would be good enough for another year. I do think you can't give the guy a 5year extention until he makes it to a post season tournament.

Based on where the team is right now - record wise, talent wise, depth wise, etc.. - I think getting to at least .500 or maybe a game or so on either side of that would be a big improvement.

I don't think any of us can go into the season expecting this team to contend for a postseason tournament. The improvemet this team has showed as the season has gone (which is certainly up to individual interpretation) hasn't been linear by any means, so to expect a huge jump in results next year is unrealistic.

That being said, if Iowa does get into the NIT next year, I doubt they'll be many people here who think Lickliter needs to be shown the door.

Based on where the team is right now - record wise, talent wise, depth wise, etc.. - I think getting to at least .500 or maybe a game or so on either side of that would be a big improvement.

I don't think any of us can go into the season expecting this team to contend for a postseason tournament. The improvemet this team has showed as the season has gone (which is certainly up to individual interpretation) hasn't been linear by any means, so to expect a huge jump in results next year is unrealistic.

That being said, if Iowa does get into the NIT next year, I doubt they'll be many people here who think Lickliter needs to be shown the door.

I agree with this for the most part but its depressing that in year 4 getting to .500 would be a drastic improvement. Sigh

I don't even want to think about numbers like that right now...and numbers are not always telling, to the good or to the bad.

No.

Lickliter went 6-12 his very first year with Alford's players who "didn't fit the system" and "didn't want to be at Iowa" etc. etc. Therefore, 6-12 wouldn't show me any progress from when he was hired.

We can't keep languishing well below .500 in conference forever. At some point, the team needs to make a push forward and approach .500 in the league, or get to .500. Next year has to be that year, IMO.

Assuming we can beat Indiana tomorrow, that would give us 4 conference wins for the year. How many here would be happy adding just two conference wins to this year's. I think we all agree that this year has been pretty lousy, and 2 more wins isn't a big improvement IMO.

I don't get some of you that think a big improvement next year would be unrealistic and we can't expect much of a jump. Why the heck not? Practically the entire team is coming back next year. Shouldn't these guys improve? If we don't improve much next year, to me that would indicate either a lack of talent relative to the rest of the league, or players just are not developing enough.

Jon is right that sometimes numbers can be deceiving, but asking me right now if I would be happy with a 6-12 conference record next year, I have to give a big, fat NO.

Last edited:
No.

Lickliter went 6-12 his very first year with Alford's players who "didn't fit the system" and "didn't want to be at Iowa" etc. etc. Therefore, 6-12 wouldn't show me any progress from when he was hired.

We can't keep languishing well below .500 in conference forever. At some point, the team needs to make a push forward and approach .500 in the league, or get to .500. Next year has to be that year, IMO.

Assuming we can beat Indiana tomorrow, that would give us 4 conference wins for the year. How many here would be happy adding just two conference wins to this year's. I think we all agree that this year has been pretty lousy, and 2 more wins isn't a big improvement IMO.

But improvement has to be based off of something doesn't it? Assuming they beat Indiana tomorrow, is it realistic to see this team getting 5 more wins in conference play next year?

i disagree with your last part. The NIT is a miserable end to a mediocre season it's ncaa or bust we need to be making the ncaa at least 6 out of every 10 years, the nit 2 of the remaining years and the last 20% are throw away / injury / off cout / self destruct years.

But improvement has to be based off of something doesn't it? Assuming they beat Indiana tomorrow, is it realistic to see this team getting 5 more wins in conference play next year?

It is tough to answer what is realistic, but Tom Davis' 1989-90 team went 4-14 in the conference. His 1990-91 team went 9-9 in the conference.

Why would it be unrealistic for next year's team to show a similiar improvement? I am not saying that is going to happen, I just think it's in the realm of possibility considering we have almost the entire team coming back, and really aren't losing anybody major.

It is tough to answer what is realistic, but Tom Davis' 1989-90 team went 4-14 in the conference. His 1990-91 team went 9-9 in the conference.

Why would it be unrealistic for next year's team to show a similiar improvement? I am not saying that is going to happen, I just think it's in the realm of possibility considering we have almost the entire team coming back, and really aren't losing anybody major.

I agree with this and have thought the same thing. As Jon said, i don't like to attach specific numbers to my expectations but I do think that it's getting close to the point where improvment in this neighborhood should be expected for next year.

i disagree with your last part. The NIT is a miserable end to a mediocre season it's ncaa or bust we need to be making the ncaa at least 6 out of every 10 years, the nit 2 of the remaining years and the last 20% are throw away / injury / off cout / self destruct years.

Well, at least you're consistent. I think most of us here would be happy if Iowa got into the NIT next season, as that would mean they've won somewhere around 17 or 18 games.

But you're one of the more consistently negative people on this board, so you have to stay that way, and I can respect that.

I just don't want to go into the season hoping for great things only to be disappointed in the end. If you set your expectations low, anything above said expectations is gravy.

The last thing we as fans need to next year is what Iowa State fans did this year, when they all convinced themselves that the Clones had a Sweet 16 team this year.

6-12 in the Big 10 would not be acceptable to me. If the Hawks can get manage to get 4 wins this season with these players, then Lick must be at least .500 in the Big 10 next year plus make a tournament.

Well, at least you're consistent. I think most of us here would be happy if Iowa got into the NIT next season, as that would mean they've won somewhere around 17 or 18 games.

But you're one of the more consistently negative people on this board, so you have to stay that way, and I can respect that.

I think you are one of the more "ankle level standard/expectation" people on this board, so you have to stay that way,a dn i can respect that.

I think you are one of the more "ankle level standard/expectation" people on this board, so you have to stay that way,a dn i can respect that.

Because you've been here long enough to know how I think, right? Just signed up this morning? Do you agree with 12345, that Iowa should be in the hunt for an NCAA bid next season?

Because you've been here long enough to know how I think, right? Just signed up this morning? Do you agree with 12345, that Iowa should be in the hunt for an NCAA bid next season?

I've been watching these boards long enough before starting to post and it's easy to see where most posters stand on things, and yours is of little objectivity and low standards. Not trying to be mean towards you, just stating my clear observation and you're entitled to it. Iowa won't be anywhere close to an NCAA bid next year, and likely not even close to an NIT bid next season because getting into the NIT is nowhere as easy as it was in the past.

Last edited:
I think 8-10 in the Big 10 and about 18 wins overall should be the cutoff for Lick next year. Anything less and he should get the axe.