Worst Professional Sports Management

cockyhawkfan

Top 5 off the top of my head:

1. Washington Redskins-Spend tons of money but always still suck or under perform.

2. NY Mets-Same as above

3. Chicago Cubs-It's not a curse there hasn't been a WS ring in nearly a century.

4. Oakland Raiders-Al Davis, nuff said.

5. Detroit Lions-No explanation needed.

There are plenty of other poor managed pro sports teams but these are the top five that stick out the most to me.

1. Washington Redskins-Spend tons of money but always still suck or under perform.

2. NY Mets-Same as above

3. Chicago Cubs-It's not a curse there hasn't been a WS ring in nearly a century.

There are plenty of other poor managed pro sports teams but these are the top five that stick out the most to me.

I would agree there, but the management post-2006 to this point has been fairly decent. Ownership was the problem in the past, as the team (especially under McFail) was runs as a small market team despite being in the 3rd largest media market in the country. Hopefully, the new ownership will spend the money and get a competent full-time front office staff together. Right now, the Cubs have the fewest full-time, year round front office employees in MLB.

Actually from a business point the Redskins management is amazing. I'm pretty sure Dan Snyder has managed to increase profits since taking over despite driving the team into the ground.

2. NY Mets-Same as above

Also Phoenix Coyotes, New York Knicks (even though they make a ton of scrilla) for some different sports

Here is my top 5:

1. Oakland Raiders -> an absolute train-wreck of a franchise. Al Davis still believes it's 1975. No clue what he is doing.

2. Pittsburgh Pirates -> Pirates plan: Find a good prospect. Bring him up to the big leagues. Develop him. And trade him to a contender before he reaches his prime for more good prospects, then repeat.

3. LA Clippers -> Bad management with a team that absolutely nobody cares about. Never will succeed with the Lakers in the same town.

4. New York Knickerbockers -> They just aren't sure what style of basketball they want. They will be off of this list if they sign Lebron.

5. Phoenix Coyotes -> Terrible idea by the NHL to put a franchise in the desert. Bad team with bad attendance. They won't be in Phoenix much longer.

Honorable Mention:
Washington Nationals -> Nice new stadium. Bad team with little hope but have some nice prospects in their farm system.

Detroit Lions -> They would be on the list but since they have fired their GM they seem to have a plan and hope for the future.

Minnesota Timberwolves -> Had some nice teams in the late 90's and early 00's but never did much with the likes of Garnett and Co. They have been dreadful ever since. Some good young talent though which provides a glimmer of hope.

Cleveland Indians -> This might surprise you but next to the Cubs they hold the longest drought without a World Series title. That's not why I chose them though. Indians fans haven't been happy with the team since they allowed several players to leave in recent years for basically nothing in return. CC Sabathia, Cliff Lee, Victor Martinez, Jim Thome, Brandon Phillips, Ryan Garko, Franklin Gutierrez and Coco Crisp. They have really fallen the last two years in the AL Central.

Chicago Cubs -> When you can't win a championship in over a century you're not doing much right. Management has fallen behind on Wrigley Field upkeep in recent years as well.

New York Islanders -> Basically have been irrelevant since the early 90's. A few playoff appearances scattered since keep them out of the top 5.

Last edited:

Latest posts