Worst game ever

okeefe4prez

What a letdown for Brian. His offense puts up double digit points, gets into triple digit yards and then that is the week the defense decides not to show up and give up double digit points.

I think I'm done watching for this year. That called off TD was totally ridiculous. I've already pretty much quit watching sports other than Iowa football, but I'm not going to watch this shit if they're gonna make judgment calls like that on a play where literally no one thought it was a fair catch signal. The NCAA and Big Ten and SEC can find some other pro wrestling fan to watch this fake ass garbage.

You guys want to know the real kick in the nuts? That play was a tinderbox spark play that will portend a few years of mediocrity at best. Two others have occurred, each on special teams. Absolute ball breaker plays that change the trajectory of the program for years. Onside kick at Northwestern in 2005 and the fake punt against Wisconsin in 2010. A bad streak has just started. I guarantee a loss to a MAC or D-2 team in the next few seasons.

I was going to start a thread simply titled "I'm Done", but u pretty much stated it here. I'm not gonna try to make arguments for Ferentz:s anymore. It's been 3 yrs of the most awful shit show of an offense in college football. It's a pattern. Time to turn the page now I feel. We are going to start to lose recruits and will really feel the pain.

Please fire everyone on staff
Im actually in favor of promoting Woods to HC so we keep Phil and letting him bring in a modern OC.

This depends on Kirk willingly stepping aside with dignity knowing his son gets fired.

What will happen is nobody gets fired, not even Brian, and the program burns until we have to fire Kirk and everyone is worse off.

Keep in mind we still owe this guy 50 million and he wants and will get every cent.

Keep in mind we still owe this guy 50 million and he wants and will get every cent.

No. We have to fire or demote Brian. I would be okay with him staying on in a capacity where he is line coach, run game coordinator or TE coach. That's it. If Kirk doesn't like it, tough shit.

In a normal circumstance I would say "man, you sure don't want to litigate against Ferentz in Johnson County" but I would call in some expert witnesses and put on 3 straight days of tape of Iowa on offense and by the time I was done the jury would be trying to concoct a remedy in the case where Ferentz owed the school money.

I have tried to be positive, I have tried to cheer everyone on. I have given big support to the Brain. I have continuously brought up the thrashing of Ohio 6 years ago as a reason for hope and optimism. It's gone.

There's enough of a core right now that if we promoted Woods I think we could hold it together and get a reasonable offense going in the next two years. If we fail to do that we are going to be staring down a big rebuild in an era where it will be even tougher.

I agree with the subject line of this.. I felt worse after that then I did losing to MSU in 2015. Or at least damn near it. This was a huge kick to the nuts. To review it to see if he went out of bounds or not and then just make that up out of the blue sky when the motion he was making wasn't above the shoulders and nobody on the field interpreted it as a fair catch in real time (players or refs) is compete BS.

If they'd have made the wrong call in the moment and flagged it then I'd have at least understood. To do what they did is illogical and unexplainable. I'm despondent about it really. I feel like utter shit for DeJean and the rest of the players.

But as far as the coaches go I hope BF sucks on it. He and KF deserve to feel how they do this morning. Never shoulda came down to it. That D and special teams deserved to win that game 100 out of 100 times yet somehow the O said nope you can't. That's on them

You don't have to love your son, you just have to not hate him to prevent him from signing on to an Iowa scholarship as an offensive player. You want to drive a budding career into the ground, sign on at Iowa.

Sat was 444 yards of punting and 127 total yards of offense, -11 minutes TOP, 3 TO's.

I was going to start a thread simply titled "I'm Done", but u pretty much stated it here. I'm not gonna try to make arguments for Ferentz:s anymore. It's been 3 yrs of the most awful shit show of an offense in college football. It's a pattern. Time to turn the page now I feel. We are going to start to lose recruits and will really feel the pain.
Our recruiting has suffered for several years. It is now becoming apparent how bad our recruiting and development has been.
As Hemingway said when asked how he went bankrupt:
"Gradually. Then suddenly."

I went on a quest to see if Iowa was ever held to 11 yards rushing. It would be tedious.
What I quickly found was an article by Hlas from 2017, following the Wisconsin game where they totaled just 66 yards on offense.

It was the first time in over 100 games that Iowa had been held to less than 200 total yards on offense.
Apparently you had to go back to 2009. Iowa wins 12-0 at home against MN with just 177 yards.

Since 2017, Brian's offenses have 6 times been held to under 200 total yards on offense.
I was going to count the number of games with less than 250, but I ran out of fingers.

Apparently the worst game ever was 1944. -15 total yards.

Is it just me or does it seem like we're trending in this direction more each game, each year?

No, it's not just you. You know the phrase...."follow the science".....

Avg yards per play:
2017: 5.1
2018: 5.4
2019: 5.5
2020: 5.4
2021: 4.7
2022: 4.2
2023: 4.12

The average for Iowa from 1999-2016 is 5.4
Prior to 2017, they exceeded the 5.4 average 10 times and failed to match the average 8 times.
Roughly the 50-50, you would expect.

Since Brian has assumed the role, they have been average twice, and barely above the average once. And, there is a clear trend the last 5 years. Almost 50-50, depending on whether you want to count "average" as a success. I would actually argue there is a trend from day 1 and earlier marginal success can be attributed to players he didn't recruit and that there was at least a different QB coach.

No, it's not just you. You know the phrase...."follow the science".....

Avg yards per play:
2017: 5.1
2018: 5.4
2019: 5.5
2020: 5.4
2021: 4.7
2022: 4.2
2023: 4.12

The average for Iowa from 1999-2016 is 5.4
Prior to 2017, they exceeded the 5.4 average 10 times and failed to match the average 8 times.
Roughly the 50-50, you would expect.

Since Brian has assumed the role, they have been average twice, and barely above the average once. And, there is a clear trend the last 5 years. Almost 50-50, depending on whether you want to count "average" as a success. I would actually argue there is a trend from day 1 and earlier marginal success can be attributed to players he didn't recruit and that there was at least a different QB coach.
Needless to say the stats back up his thoughts... Start back when Petras became the starter till now. It's been a total shit show.

Needless to say the stats back up his thoughts... Start back when Petras became the starter till now. It's been a total shit show.

I think the COVID year plus getting ranked 2nd in 2021 may have irreparably screwed the program. We won a bunch of consecutive games in 2020 and then beat the shit out of vastly overrated Indiana, ISU and PSU and we got too damned big for our britches. Brohm showed us loud and clear what was wrong with the offense in the Purdue game in 2021 but we didn't want to listen. I don't want to look too deeply into when O'Keefe left, but it sure as shit hasn't been pretty since then. I seriously think that O'Keefe is the only man on Earth who has the proper brain meld with Kurt to run an offense the way Kurt wants it run.

I think the COVID year plus getting ranked 2nd in 2021 may have irreparably screwed the program. We won a bunch of consecutive games in 2020 and then beat the shit out of vastly overrated Indiana, ISU and PSU and we got too damned big for our britches. Brohm showed us loud and clear what was wrong with the offense in the Purdue game in 2021 but we didn't want to listen. I don't want to look too deeply into when O'Keefe left, but it sure as shit hasn't been pretty since then. I seriously think that O'Keefe is the only man on Earth who has the proper brain meld with Kurt to run an offense the way Kurt wants it run.
Yup pretty much. I'm not so sure about KOK today being able to help a whole lot. He stepped away a couple yrs back for good reason he's pretty old. He's gotta be north of 70. I do think the game and defenses have evolved some since KOK was in his hay day. But at least he'd scratch where it itches more. Now our O is just stubbornly lining up in obvious running formations on 1st down and then doing it. Or passing formations/shotgun on 3rd and longs and calling a 5 yard out. Only rarely taking shots down the field.

The DJK/McNutt days seem like a generation ago.....

No. We have to fire or demote Brian. I would be okay with him staying on in a capacity where he is line coach, run game coordinator or TE coach. That's it. If Kirk doesn't like it, tough shit.

In a normal circumstance I would say "man, you sure don't want to litigate against Ferentz in Johnson County" but I would call in some expert witnesses and put on 3 straight days of tape of Iowa on offense and by the time I was done the jury would be trying to concoct a remedy in the case where Ferentz owed the school money.

I have tried to be positive, I have tried to cheer everyone on. I have given big support to the Brain. I have continuously brought up the thrashing of Ohio 6 years ago as a reason for hope and optimism. It's gone.

There's enough of a core right now that if we promoted Woods I think we could hold it together and get a reasonable offense going in the next two years. If we fail to do that we are going to be staring down a big rebuild in an era where it will be even tougher.
What’re the chances firing Kirk for cause passes muster under the theory that he only kept an OC who is the definition of underperforming due to nepotism?

I almost started another thread, but Minnesota Football Saturday 2023 was Kirk and Iowa's Bobby Bowden Moment. In 2009 Bowden was cut loose by FL ST as the program was declining and after FSU had to vacate wins for improprieties. Bowden didn't have any losing seasons leading to his firing. He was older than Kirk when he was fired.

I believe a different offensive coordinator was in order prior to this season. The evidence is beyond obvious after 8 games, and Iowa being dead last nationally speaks for itself. At this point I think the Athletic Director should be questioned to clarify where the athletic department is at in this matter. I would like to know:
1. Are you the person directly responsible for evaluating Brian?
2. If yes, is the contract Brian signed with Barta still applicable?
3. If no, is there a revised contract?
4. If yes to question 2, Are you prepared to dismiss him as a offensive coach of the Hawkeyes?
5. If no, what are the terms of the revised contract.

The members of the media need to collaborate on their questions for the AD to build a decision tree to find out just what the situation is with Brian. If Kirk refuses to fire Brian then the AD has to issue the ultimatum of quit or be fired. That is the Bobby Bowden Moment for Iowa. If he agrees then the AD has to put the onus on Kirk to meet the performance goals that Brian was given. Adding the 4 best programs from the PAC 12 requires doing things differently. Iowa can't get by beating the little sisters of the poor.

What’re the chances firing Kirk for cause passes muster under the theory that he only kept an OC who is the definition of underperforming due to nepotism?

You have to scrutinize his every move in the weeks before and months after you fire Brian. I firmly believe the man will try to burn the organization down. There is a bunch of vague and ambiguous shit in his cause definition so it wouldn't be a slam dunk that he'd win it. You owe him fifty, you tell him you'll pay him two years salary and a third for his lawyer to go away. He'll take it. The offense is simultaneously easily defended and indefensible right now. They really need to make a contingency plan with Woods right now because I believe there is a nonzero Kirk is gone by New Year's. He also has looked a bit jaundiced, I seriously don't want the guy to go out with an inferno burning and that is where the ship is heading right now, even if we win out.

Say what you will about Steve Alford, but when Sam was losing heat on his fastball Steve-o got him extricated from the program ASAP. And again, I think Brian has shown flashes of brilliance as an X and O guy, but he is pathologically incapable of being a P5 coordinator at this juncture in his career. He needs a rehab stint without nepotism in the background. I honestly think he could be a very solid NFL coordinator if he doesn't have to worry about personnel. Personnel is what will do him in at Iowa. I feel like Obiewon Kenobi right now. As the scoreboard turned off at that Ohio game in 2017 I thought this young man was the chosen one. I looked past the 66 yard effort the next week. I can't look past this anymore.

In all seriousness if Brian went to Bama or Georgia as line or TE coach I think he could work his back into the limelight, but he needs to get his paws off of this offense ASAP.

I almost started another thread, but Minnesota Football Saturday 2023 was Kirk and Iowa's Bobby Bowden Moment. In 2009 Bowden was cut loose by FL ST as the program was declining and after FSU had to vacate wins for improprieties. Bowden didn't have any losing seasons leading to his firing. He was older than Kirk when he was fired.

I believe a different offensive coordinator was in order prior to this season. The evidence is beyond obvious after 8 games, and Iowa being dead last nationally speaks for itself. At this point I think the Athletic Director should be questioned to clarify where the athletic department is at in this matter. I would like to know:
1. Are you the person directly responsible for evaluating Brian?
2. If yes, is the contract Brian signed with Barta still applicable?
3. If no, is there a revised contract?
4. If yes to question 2, Are you prepared to dismiss him as a offensive coach of the Hawkeyes?
5. If no, what are the terms of the revised contract.

The members of the media need to collaborate on their questions for the AD to build a decision tree to find out just what the situation is with Brian. If Kirk refuses to fire Brian then the AD has to issue the ultimatum of quit or be fired. That is the Bobby Bowden Moment for Iowa. If he agrees then the AD has to put the onus on Kirk to meet the performance goals that Brian was given. Adding the 4 best programs from the PAC 12 requires doing things differently. Iowa can't get by beating the little sisters of the poor.

For the record, the name Tommy Bowden is mud in the area of SC where I live, but I think 10/10 residents of this great state would trust Tommy Bowden infinitely more than Brian Ferentz at this point. The folks down in Columbia are dealing with the remnants of the Frank Beamer family tree and they sure are less than happy right now as well. Coaches hiring their kids should probably end and be replaced with an "I scratch your back you scratch mine" system of placing them in other programs. These family relationships in entities flowing up to the government are just no bueno. Maybe we could have the legislature amend the law so that any job with pay over $500k can't go to an immediate family member or something. Some statute to take it out of the hands of the AD, something that Ferentz can't get around, and something that will have no practical impact except on this very specific circumstance.

For the record, the name Tommy Bowden is mud in the area of SC where I live, but I think 10/10 residents of this great state would trust Tommy Bowden infinitely more than Brian Ferentz at this point. The folks down in Columbia are dealing with the remnants of the Frank Beamer family tree and they sure are less than happy right now as well. Coaches hiring their kids should probably end and be replaced with an "I scratch your back you scratch mine" system of placing them in other programs. These family relationships in entities flowing up to the government are just no bueno. Maybe we could have the legislature amend the law so that any job with pay over $500k can't go to an immediate family member or something. Some statute to take it out of the hands of the AD, something that Ferentz can't get around, and something that will have no practical impact except on this very specific circumstance.
I have no objections... They just treat these all as family businesses and feel entitled to do what they do. And I have no idea why ADs and programs feel like they need to acquiesce to it. They have options. Lots of them and what's crazier is most of them are better. It's downright lazy to just allow a KF to be able to pass the baton to his kid without really seeing what your options are.

Latest posts