Worst 2 assistant coach staffing decisions ever

guffus

#2. For the 2022 season,
Iowa replaces retiring Iowa QB coach Ken O'Keefe with Brian Ferentz while keeping Brian as the OC. Iowa ends up averaging 17.7 points per game and is ranked 123rd in total offense.

#1. For the 2023 season, Iowa decides to keep Brian Ferentz as the OC and QB coach. Iowa ends up averaging 15.4 points a game and is shut out 3 times against ranked opponents. Iowa finishes dead last in total offense.

Could there ever be a worse staffing decision than bringing back Brian Ferentz for another season in 2023 to once again be the OC and QB coach.

...and yet, I get the feeling that if Goetz hadn't announced BF's departure in October, KF would be trying to bring him back next year on a restructured contract. It feels like he completely believes none of this is BF's fault, and that all of it is blamed on injuries.

...and yet, I get the feeling that if Goetz hadn't announced BF's departure in October, KF would be trying to bring him back next year on a restructured contract. It feels like he completely believes none of this is BF's fault, and that all of it is blamed on injuries.
You got it here, on the KF observation, good news is Goetz is a business lady, not the fu___ing cowboy called Barta, Yee ha, hopefully one good thing out of this cluster fu___k they hire her as AD, not interim.

In retrospect KF should have no reason for blaming his son for the offense. This is Kirk's team, his style of complementary football and I for one guarantee Brian was not as bad as what Kirk made him. The control freak in charge designed this! I think twenty some years of proof was in the pudding and Kirk's offensive philosophy proves this. He never wanted to start Stanzi or Bethard until the tables of turm made him and regressed Bethards 2nd starting season as much as he could. The kid wasn't half the qb we seen his first year as starter.

You can bet 100% that if Iowa had reached the 25 points per game the Ferentz's would have mandated Iowa give BF a raise and sign him on to the extension as stated in the contract.

In retrospect KF should have no reason for blaming his son for the offense. This is Kirk's team, his style of complementary football and I for one guarantee Brian was not as bad as what Kirk made him. The control freak in charge designed this! I think twenty some years of proof was in the pudding and Kirk's offensive philosophy proves this. He never wanted to start Stanzi or Bethard until the tables of turm made him and regressed Bethards 2nd starting season as much as he could. The kid wasn't half the qb we seen his first year as starter.
You see Bethards stat sheet from yesterday? Pretty good day

I hope she's a business lady. Her job, and Iowa's biggest need right now is money, lots of money. That is not an easy job at Iowa. Raising money needs to be her highest priority.

BG has shown some creativity in raising money. Big credit if BG thought of that Kinnick Stadium game. More money has to be BG's daily mantra.

Execution*
(*Translation: The problem is not the coaching or the play calls. It is the players' fault.)

You are giving Ferentz credit for developing beathard? Lol
So, when the players turn out to be really good KF gets no credit for their recruitment or improvement, but when they turn out to be less than expected and don't really develop KF bears all the blame for bad recruiting and bad coaching?

The hate is strong with you. Maybe time to spend your time watching and writing about someone you like. I get the rage. You hate Kirk Ferentz. You hate him so much that you rail about almost every day and several times a day. But you are still sufficiently tethered to reality you understand all of your hatred, vile and bile rants make absolutely no difference to anyone in charge of anything. You have allowed your hatred to become pathologically self-defeating.

Give yourself a break and just walk away. You sound like a Michigan man-go root for Blue. Win win for everyone.

when the majority of the team is full of character guys with high motors and they play a team full of athletes who want to be playing doesn't much matter who the oc is.

I experience extreme cognitive dissonance around Brian on a nearly hourly basis. On the one hand, the overall philosophy and play calling in 3rd down situations was really hampered by Kirk. On the other hand, even within those parameters, Brian performed about as poorly as is possible. It can both be true that the high water mark for a ball control Kirk offense in modern football is somewhere in the 50-70 overall offensive efficiency range (Think a Stanzi or Beathard running the offense with a Joe Moore contending OL, a solid RB or two, and one or two second serviceable WRs); basically 2015 with a great receiver tacked on, and that Brian massively underperformed both in terms of playcalling and player development given the level of recruits Iowa brings in at the QB/WR/OL positions.

Ultimately, offensive development falls to the OC and the position coaches. Brian sucked at it, and Brian sucked at play calling. Even if we place most of the blame on Kirk, worst offense in the league two years in a row is not Kirk's fault. Handicapping the team to average at best on offense is, but we all know that with an average offense the last two years (really, every year since 2017) we are looking at an average of probably 10.5 wins per season and maybe a B1G title or two in that span.

I experience extreme cognitive dissonance around Brian on a nearly hourly basis. On the one hand, the overall philosophy and play calling in 3rd down situations was really hampered by Kirk. On the other hand, even within those parameters, Brian performed about as poorly as is possible. It can both be true that the high water mark for a ball control Kirk offense in modern football is somewhere in the 50-70 overall offensive efficiency range (Think a Stanzi or Beathard running the offense with a Joe Moore contending OL, a solid RB or two, and one or two second serviceable WRs); basically 2015 with a great receiver tacked on, and that Brian massively underperformed both in terms of playcalling and player development given the level of recruits Iowa brings in at the QB/WR/OL positions.

Ultimately, offensive development falls to the OC and the position coaches. Brian sucked at it, and Brian sucked at play calling. Even if we place most of the blame on Kirk, worst offense in the league two years in a row is not Kirk's fault. Handicapping the team to average at best on offense is, but we all know that with an average offense the last two years (really, every year since 2017) we are looking at an average of probably 10.5 wins per season and maybe a B1G title or two in that span.
Didn’t these guy’s watch the game time to clean house Kirk is the elephant in the room.

That's my final summation. There was too much Ferentz DNA in the offense. Sorta like the ancient pharoanic dynasties and and other royal bloodlines. If you don't mix in some other DNA, you're gonna have problems.

The stats bear out. Kirk Ferentz OCs in the past have had above average seasons, average seasons, and below average seasons. Nowhere in history did they have more than two bad seasons. And in every case that they did string together two below average seasons, the second one always showed significant improvement and created some hope.

For the moment, I'm more than happy with a lot of Ferentz DNA on the offense. Just not 100% Ferentz DNA.

I experience extreme cognitive dissonance around Brian on a nearly hourly basis. On the one hand, the overall philosophy and play calling in 3rd down situations was really hampered by Kirk. On the other hand, even within those parameters, Brian performed about as poorly as is possible.
I've seriously wondered this year if the team wouldn't have been better off overall by not calling plays from the sideline and just letting the QB draw them up in the dirt like we used to do as kids. Ranking wise it couldn't have been worse and I think TOs wise probably not worse either.

Totally.... That's the why Goetz made her move when she did. She saw the whole picture. So KF acting all high and mighty being mad about the timing of it all can just keep crying about it cause she did the right thing at the right time. If anything she coulda done it even sooner or ripped up the 25 pt/game part of his contract right away when she took over. But she was being prudent and not rash about it. I don't think she coulda done things much better frankly.

Latest posts