World Cup Team Championships

mendoza7

We were so focused on the NCAAs that no one posted information on the World Cup Team Championships from several weeks ago. I just found out about it yesterday, reading through some wrestling news. Here's a link to the story. http://www.teamusa.org/News/2014/March/17/US-Freestyle-Wrestlers-Claim-World-Cup-Bronze. At first I thought this was the individual World Cup, and since Metcalf went undefeated, I thought he was champion...but no, this is the TEAM competition. I didn't think Metcalf would have great success internationally, but he's really performed well.

I should state that I don't care for freestyle too much (though the recent rule changes may help) but I do keep up-to-date with what's happening. The U.S. team appears to be improving during the past 2 years, and guys like Dake, Stieber, Taylor, etc. may help them reach the top (assuming they'll be good freestylers).

If Jordan Burroughs keeps competing for a number of years and not retire early like most from the U.S., he will probably equal the careers of some of the great Russian guys - in this tourney he had 3 pins, a tech, and 7-1 win - IMPRESSIVE against some of the best in the world - why isn't he getting the attention that Gable and Sanderson got??? Watching him wrestle during his senior year in college, it was clear that he'd have great success internationally. I'm sure he's the big name in the international wrestling community, but certainly not here.

Burroughs is celebratd internationally. When USA wrestled in Iran last year, the crowd was chanting his name when he was on the mat. The guy is pretty amazing.

I would love to see Metcalf continue to perform well internationally. I am not real versed on the Internation weight classes. Would Dake fall into Metcalf's weight?

Mendoza no offense but you obviously dont keep "up to date" with whats going on internationally. I knew about, and was looking forward to the world cup for many months before it took place. I was able to watch every match for free on themat.com. it was awesome! And this website is not the place to look for information on wrestling fyi.

Also sp groth Dake is wrestling at Burroughs weight along with the likes of David Taylor and Andree Howe. Loaded!

Mendoza no offense but you obviously dont keep "up to date" with whats going on internationally. I knew about, and was looking forward to the world cup for many months before it took place. I was able to watch every match for free on themat.com. it was awesome! And this website is not the place to look for information on wrestling fyi.

Also sp groth Dake is wrestling at Burroughs weight along with the likes of David Taylor and Andree Howe. Loaded!

Maybe wrong choice of words --- by "up-to-date" I meant that I read the results of big competitions and know the names of who's at which weights, etc. I didn't mean that I closely follow international, since as I said freestyle doesn't interest me like folkstyle or even Greco.

Regarding Dake/Taylor/Howe, they'd better be prepared to wait some time behind Burroughs, since I doubt they'll beat him, and I've heard Burroughs say that he plans on wrestling for a number of years (I wish there were a few more weight classes, to allow some outstanding wrestlers to have an opportunity).

All of those guys are at the same weight during olympic years. the weight under it is around 145 and above it is like 185 so i don't think those would be options for those guys. Possibly Taylor i suppose since he has a long frame maybe he could focus on filling out to 185 but i don't see it. Or Howe i suppose. However during the other three years there is a weight class around 156ish i think. maybe one of those guys would want to go down to try to win a world title at that weight. Not sure who it'd be. I'm sure Dake is just planning on beating Burroughs and Howe/taylor just seem too big for that weight.

The weight class will really come down to Burroughs and Dake. Right now it's still obviously Burroughs' but I would never bet against Dake.

Well goooooooood for you....

Latest posts