World Championships

Angel Escobedo advances to bronze-medal match at World Championships | TheMat.com - USA Wrestling

FILA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
Papp Laszlo Sports Arena, Budapest, Hungary

Gold-medal matchups

55 kg/121 lbs.
Amit Kumar (India) vs. Hassan Rahimi (Iran)

66 kg/145.5 lbs.
Devid Safaryan (Armenia) vs. Livan Lopez (Cuba)

96 kg/211.5 lbs.
Khetag Gazyumov (Azerbaijan) vs. Reza Yazdani (Iran)

U.S. results

55 kg/121 lbs. – Angel Escobedo, Columbus, Ohio (New York AC/Titan Mercury WC)
WIN Andre Dukov (Romania), 6-0
WIN Robert Kardos (Hungary), 8-0
LOSS Amit Kumar (India), 0-6
WIN Zoheir El Ouarraqe (France), 8-2
vs. Sezer Akgul (Turkey) in bronze-medal match

66 kg/145.5 lbs. – Brent Metcalf, Iowa City, Iowa (New York AC/Titan Mercury WC)
LOSS Mehdi Taghavi (Iran), 2-5

96 kg/211.5 lbs. – J.D. Bergman, Columbus, Ohio (New York AC/Titan Mercury WC)
LOSS Alexey Krupnyakov (Kyrgyzstan), 3:58

It seems that in International wrestling that they give two Bronze medals/trophies. What is the reasoning for this? Does it hold true in this tournament? Thanks for covering on here and Twitter, Pin!!

I think it has to do with the fact that there's two finalist. The guys finalist A beat get to go for bronze, and the guys finalist B beat get to go for a seperate bronze.

Don't quote me on that though, just a guess.

SP I have learned not to try to figure international rules out because they change every damn month but my guess would be pump's reasoning.

The reason for two bronze is because of the repechage rules FILA has (which i hate by the way). The losers of the semi finals go down and wrestle each other for a bronze medal. all the other wrestlers who have been beaten by the finalist in the early rounds get kicked into a mini tourney and the winner of that also gets a bronze. it's stupid, you have the best wrestlers in the world, they train all their lives and they can't even have a double elimination tourney. not to mention it's a blind draw too so many times you get tons of the best guys on one side. Many of the international rule changes have helped immensely but there are many things that are still so frustrating. the criteria is so confusing and no overtime is ridiculous. The rules at the US world trials were so much simpler/better.

Metcalf just didn't look very aggressive. Granted he's wrestling a stud, but didn't see that edge we used to see.

Dlagnev going for bronze. Here is his big win against Ghasemi. Ghasemi has beat him three times already I believe.

[video=youtube;GZtzgpHen_k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZtzgpHen_k&list=PLDo9M4UVhQm5rGCkikCZ_xOQb9v01Epef[/video]

[video=youtube;ws2H4dVP0lE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws2H4dVP0lE&list=PLDo9M4UVhQm5rGCkikCZ_xOQb9v01Epef[/video]

The reason for two bronze is because of the repechage rules FILA has (which i hate by the way). The losers of the semi finals go down and wrestle each other for a bronze medal. all the other wrestlers who have been beaten by the finalist in the early rounds get kicked into a mini tourney and the winner of that also gets a bronze. it's stupid, you have the best wrestlers in the world, they train all their lives and they can't even have a double elimination tourney. not to mention it's a blind draw too so many times you get tons of the best guys on one side. Many of the international rule changes have helped immensely but there are many things that are still so frustrating. the criteria is so confusing and no overtime is ridiculous. The rules at the US world trials were so much simpler/better.

Your close except for the semi-final losers never actually wrestle each other in the repechage. This is how the repechage and 2 bronze medals works. You start with a 32 man bracket say wrestles 1 and 2 make the finals.
Lets also say wrestler 1 beat 32, 16, 8, 4 to get to the finals
Lets also say wrestler 2 beat 31, 15, 7, 3 to get to the finals
Repechage1 would consist of the following matches
Match#1 32 vs 16 winner wrestles 8
Match#2 8 vs ?? winner wrestles 4 for Bronze
Match#3 4 vs ??
Repechage2 would consist of the following matches
Match#1 31 vs 15 winner wrestles 7
Match # 2 7 vs ?? winner wrestles 3 for Bronze
Match # 3 3 vs ??

Your close except for the semi-final losers never actually wrestle each other in the repechage. This is how the repechage and 2 bronze medals works. You start with a 32 man bracket say wrestles 1 and 2 make the finals.
Lets also say wrestler 1 beat 32, 16, 8, 4 to get to the finals
Lets also say wrestler 2 beat 31, 15, 7, 3 to get to the finals
Repechage1 would consist of the following matches
Match#1 32 vs 16 winner wrestles 8
Match#2 8 vs ?? winner wrestles 4 for Bronze
Match#3 4 vs ??
Repechage2 would consist of the following matches
Match#1 31 vs 15 winner wrestles 7
Match # 2 7 vs ?? winner wrestles 3 for Bronze
Match # 3 3 vs ??

So I'm the man.

Yea rough morning but now Mango and Adeline are wrestling for Bronze. Crazy matches

Thanks for the follow on twitter btw

Latest posts