Woody's missed dunk

I think Adam got a bit too close to the backboard and the angle caused him to miss. However, I think he hit two nice midrange jump shots and in both the last two games moved well around the basket. As someone else pointed out, guys miss layups all the time, only that in the case of this dunk the rebound didn't lend itself to an easy put back. Woody also deserves credit in the second half for not letting Purdue's big guys score at will. I guess there a lots of fans out there that want Woody to be someone that he is not that plays a super power game slamming everything in sight and have not figured out yet that this is not who he is. I am glad he chose Iowa and suspect he'll have a nice pro career even if the NBA is not a part of it.

As in Sapp? Missed an open layup, but Jok was there to put it back. As in Jok? Missed a layup, granted it was contested, but it was a break-away. Geez, get over the hating on Woody. Bottom line is we would not have won the game without him. Seven rebounds and the Hammons/Haas two headed center took only 10 shots.

It was a great game from Woody and all our frontcourt players. Worked like hell to deny the ball from getting inside. There was also really good weakside support from the guards so Purdue couldn't lob the ball into their bigs. It was a really well designed defensive gameplan and the players executed wonderfully in the second half.

Woody for all his faults is a great defender and I'm glad he gave Roy the cold shoulder.

So you just wanted to bag on the kid anyway. Despite the win, and the fact he was a big part of it on the defensive end. Was that your point?
To bag on him anyway in spite of the win and Woody's role on defense.

I'm super glad and appreciative of woodys work on the boards..on defense...setting screens...creating havoc....we need him. I agreed with the part of the post that said it was a huge play for purdue..it was a part of a stretch of the game that got the lead to 18....it was a 5 point swing...at a critical time. If you watched his play after it he was sulking and made defensive errors immediately following. And there is no way a 7 footer should miss a dunk..come on. That's just fact. That's coordination. Lay it up if you can't dunk.

Look Woody baggers....he's never going to be an offensive threat except for garbage around the basket.
(Which is somewhat perplexing but is reality nevertheless).

Once you get over that, you'll be OK and can cheer him on accordingly.

Look Woody baggers....he's never going to be an offensive threat except for garbage around the basket.
(Which is somewhat perplexing but is reality nevertheless).

Once you get over that, you'll be OK and can cheer him on accordingly.

Pretty much. His offense is good screen setting and passing ( except for his random outburst in the tourney game vs tennessee). He's always been a solid defender.

He was hyped coming in so people expect a super star when in reality we just got a solid player.

Pretty much. His offense is good screen setting and passing ( except for his random outburst in the tourney game vs tennessee). He's always been a solid defender.

He was hyped coming in so people expect a super star when in reality we just got a solid player.

I've posted this before, but what is perplexing is that Woody has never established a 'go to' move....say, a mid-range jumper, fade jumper, drop step then hard to the basket....something he's practiced a million times.

After four years in the program, he has nothing in that bag of tricks....again, perplexing.

Woody has two bad things going for him, well three if you count his horrific vertical. But, he has very short arms for a 7 footer. In addition, he obviously has small hands for a 7 footer as well. Quite an anomaly for his size, which isn't all his fault. He's a role player to plug the middle & play D and rebound. Don't expect him to be a major offensive force or average 10 points every game, because he won't.

People shouldn't be surprised or upset still in his 4th year. Except who he is and what he does bring, I guess. He is what he is, a small 7 footer.

I've posted this before, but what is perplexing is that Woody has never established a 'go to' move....say, a mid-range jumper, fade jumper, drop step then hard to the basket....something he's practiced a million times.

After four years in the program, he has nothing in that bag of tricks....again, perplexing.

So, the "eye poking" doesn't impress you?

Anybody here remember Guy Rucker? 6'11" seemed to miss a dunk just about every game. Eddie Horton was another, couldn't dunk in any kind of traffic and missed more than I ever remember him making. Huge impact player though, Life as a G, not as much.

I get the defense that Woody had a decent game and played well on defense. That said, I don't think it's anything out of the ordinary for people to get a laugh out of a 7 footer that has a hard time dunking or in this case missed one. I find it hilarious regardless who it is. At 7 feet tall you should be able to throw it down.

I get the argument for bigs to struggle from the line, but not being able to dunk consistently at that height is hilarious.

To all of woodys relatives posting on here...chill. I get all of the little hands, short arms..blah blah blah...he's valuable to the hawks. The purpose of the thread was that it was a bad play for iowa. The next thing is...don't try to dunk then. That is another flaw...pride. lay it up if you can't dunk..we will take the two points. Quit defending his missed dunk. He missed a bunny. Jump stop and two hand it down or lay it off the glass.

To all of woodys relatives posting on here...chill. I get all of the little hands, short arms..blah blah blah...he's valuable to the hawks. The purpose of the thread was that it was a bad play for iowa. The next thing is...don't try to dunk then. That is another flaw...pride. lay it up if you can't dunk..we will take the two points. Quit defending his missed dunk. He missed a bunny. Jump stop and two hand it down or lay it off the glass.

He shoots a lot higher percentage on dunks than he does lay ins.

To all of woodys relatives posting on here...chill. I get all of the little hands, short arms..blah blah blah...he's valuable to the hawks. The purpose of the thread was that it was a bad play for iowa.
What then is the purpose for not starting a thread about the other 12-15 bad plays in the game?

I'm not a woody apologist...i wouldn't bag on him or talk about him walking on water with his bestie J. Christ. Woody is very valuable in a lot of non offensive ways. Hey, if he wants to turn and face the basket he has a good 8-15 foot shot. I hope he looks for that when it's there. We have enough weapons on offense and so him passing back out to an open guard sounds good to me. He isn't much of an offensive board and score threat...but he does get some offensive boards and or tips balls out to reset the offense. He is a role player. He is valuable. He is not all conference. He is limited as a skill player. I'll still take him as an important part of our team. If he is having an off night...he can get benched and we go small. Zone. But i'm seeing him play a game that is good for the hawks this year.

I see improvements on offense, and some pretty decent moves at times. The consistency is not there but progress has been made. i guess I don't get the same joy out of laughing at others' mistakes as some, but Woodbury will have to deal with those that do.

Latest posts