Woody and the Jump Ball Trick

I have yet to hear a coach, commentator, or player say that the outcome of the game is/was determined by the jump ball.

Besides, if you don't think a hand grab, hip push, or butt-bump doesn't happen 20 times in a game on a rebound during more pivotal points . . . you're just not watching.

Just another excuse to pile on Woody.

Now that Woodbury has added the eye gouge to his skill set look for that when he tips off against Purdue.

I have yet to hear a coach, commentator, or player say that the outcome of the game is/was determined by the jump ball.

Besides, if you don't think a hand grab, hip push, or butt-bump doesn't happen 20 times in a game on a rebound during more pivotal points . . . you're just not watching.

Just another excuse to pile on Woody.

Not all eyes are on the 1 or 2 players those other said "20 times a game" as they are at the 1 play jump ball at the beginning of the game. Yes, in b-ball there are a lot that happen behind the scenes, but happening during the flow of the game is different than at the opening tip.

I do agree that it prob does not have an impact on the outcome of the game, so this is fruitless debating. If a team cannot overcome not getting the ball first, they have more issues that game than the opening tip. The opening tip is more of a basketball novelty or tradition, IMO. It's not a back breaker not getting the opening tip.

I think Woodbury being L handed offers him this bush league move. When going up against a R handed jumper, Woody can use his off hand.

Heck, put Oleseni in just for the tip, then sub Woodbury in at the first stopage if you really want Woody to start the game with the more significant minutes.

I never understood why he jumps to begin with, this just adds to the embarrassment that he can't jump that high. I'd rather have White, Uthoff or Oleseni jump than watch Woodbury do bush league tactics to gain an edge. We'll see if the refs catch it going foward.

That's not part of the contract signed with Frantrum. He has to START every game for 4 years.

Not all eyes are on the 1 or 2 players those other said "20 times a game" as they are at the 1 play jump ball at the beginning of the game. Yes, in b-ball there are a lot that happen behind the scenes, but happening during the flow of the game is different than at the opening tip.
while all eyes are on the 2 players at the jump it must not be important because refs dont call fouls and all 6 of their eyes are on the jump.

The only one who made an issue of it was the OPPOSING coach Thad Motta. The OP didn't start this to pile on Woody but there are hawk fans who have used it to bash woody and side with Motta.

I noticed a couple of other things from the vid on the osu site:

1. Woody took fingers/hand to the face at the end of the jump.

2. Before Thad complains about an arm bar, he should put a guy in that can outjump Woody because even with a feeble arm bar Woody had him beat by a foot.

Now let's wait and see which points the Wood-haters respond to.

Latest posts