Woodbury most important recruit since...

DesertHawk2010

I have been brought up watching Iowa Bball, but didn't start following recruiting until after Alford was coaching a few years. Is Woodbury the most important recruit in Iowa basketball ever? I can't think of anyone even close in the last 10 years and I know Mr. Davis had a history of poor recruiting.

Most important recruit that we actually landed, or just most important recruit? Not sure who the former would be, but the latter would almost certainly be Raef. At least in hindsight.

I have been following Iowa basketball for 30 years and I would have to say Woodbury is the top recruit we have landed from a fan excitement level. Now, who knows what type of career he ends up having but this was a huge get for a program that has been down for quite some time. It used to be that Iowa basketball was more popular than football. In the late 70s and early 80s Iowa basketball was the show in town (until Hayden came along). Iowa fans have always been passionate about basketball and that is why this 'get' was so important. The closest thing I can relate this to is when Raef opted to go to Kansas instead of staying home. I still remember the day he made that announcement. Iowa fans were devastated. Sure, when it is all said and done there will may be players who ended up having a better career but right now this program needed this commitment. Adding Gessel as well was huge. That gives Iowa a solid foundation to build around. Bringing in two (4 star) recruits will open the eyes of other recruits. Boy Wonder had some nice recruiting classes in his early years but that was before the program headed south. This also helps from the standpoint that maybe it won't be a given our elite players automatically bolt the state to play basketball.

I agree that the timing of this commitment makes it bigger psychologically for the program than any in recent times. Reiner,Worley and Pierce were actually higher rated recruits,but as was said, the program was not in the straits then that it is now.

Woody's commitment feels like the turning of the page into a new era for Iowa bb.
We have the coach,the facilities,and now the recruits. Here comes Iowa bb express!

what was Pierce rated? IIRC he was a huge get, and if he could have just kept his crap together he would be in the NBA now. oh well.

Hes the biggest in my lifetime I think. Not saying he will end up being the best player, but this is as low as Iowa basketball has ever been since Ive been alive and to land a kid of this calibar is huge in turning this thing around.

Latest posts