Wonderlic

Have to agree -
"Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes, the NFL’s Most Valuable Player, scored a 24 on the test, which ranked ninth out of 12 quarterbacks. Oakland’s Nathan Peterman, who had a 38.4 quarterback rating in four games with the Bills in 2018 (including five touchdowns and two interceptions), had the second-best Wonderlic score of 33.

At the top of the list: Brad Kaaya, who was drafted by the Detroit Lions in the sixth round. He’s bounced to the Panthers, Colts and now Bengals. His Wonderlic score was 34. At the bottom of the list: Texans Pro Bowl quarterback DeShaun Watson, who scored a 20 on the test"

Read more here: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/s...etes-sake/article229573299.html#storylink=cpy
As I share with my wife off and on, "thinking is under-rated, you might want to try it more often."

After constantly losing phone, leaving lights on in car, misplacing billfold, forgetting to shift a manual transmission to the highest gear, yada yada

This is awesome. Got the size, arm, smarts, sneaky athleticism, and a lot of guts and grit. People, he just might be a heck of a pro!
No he won't. Decision making is slow, doesn't handle pressure well at all, accuracy is a huge issue, footwork is bad within the pocket. He just doesn't have it. Strong arm yes, and smart, at least on the wonderlic. A lot of his attributes aren't transferring to the field, especially in big games.

The NFL has obviously been using the Wonderlic for quite a long time. And there are some interesting (touchy) social issues to unpack... Why are people facsinated by Tua's low score? What does it mean? Do people not think he's smart enough to play QB at a high level? It's all a bit messy...

Above all else, I think it's weird the NFL still uses it, as opposed to other more advanced metrics. I'm not an expert on the NFL's process, maybe they DO use other tests, etc. But I think what's really interesting for the NFL (or companies that are hiring people, generally) is to look at personality index analyses... which provide insight into how people think, not irrelevant assessments of how "smart" they are. The NFL, and the player vetting process, is such a lucrative enterprise. There is so much money riding on these draft selections. Crazy to me that they'd use such a controversially outdated test.

The NFL has obviously been using the Wonderlic for quite a long time. And there are some interesting (touchy) social issues to unpack... Why are people facsinated by Tua's low score? What does it mean? Do people not think he's smart enough to play QB at a high level? It's all a bit messy...

Above all else, I think it's weird the NFL still uses it, as opposed to other more advanced metrics. I'm not an expert on the NFL's process, maybe they DO use other tests, etc. But I think what's really interesting for the NFL (or companies that are hiring people, generally) is to look at personality index analyses... which provide insight into how people think, not irrelevant assessments of how "smart" they are. The NFL, and the player vetting process, is such a lucrative enterprise. There is so much money riding on these draft selections. Crazy to me that they'd use such a controversially outdated test.
A non-timed, take-home, essay seems to be more fitting.

I am always amazed at the "silly season" leading up to the NFL Draft. Every single year its like a parade of stupid distractions leading up to the event. I know there is nothing else going on sports wise, and people need something to talk about now. But the silly stuff coming out before the draft every year is just ridiculous, and down the road its almost always trivial little notes on some guys careers.

There is one aspect to using any test like the Wonderlic that is often missed by those that look only at the results. A fair number of people are afflicted with dyslexia. They are obviously not going to answer as many questions as someone without it. I've administered occupational aptitude test in the past and it wasn't unusual for a test taker to say he didn't do well because he forgot his glasses or he needs new glasses. This generally was a tip off that reading was a problem. Given the volume of athletes tested it would be predictable that you have some that have a learning disability. I'm sure the NFL has measures in place to consider the possibilities of learning disabilities.

No he won't. Decision making is slow, doesn't handle pressure well at all, accuracy is a huge issue, footwork is bad within the pocket. He just doesn't have it. Strong arm yes, and smart, at least on the wonderlic. A lot of his attributes aren't transferring to the field, especially in big games.
The first two are critical because those can't be coached. Chicago is finding this out with Mitch Tribusky which is why they brought in Nick Foles to probably take his job. A coach that understands QB's, like Andy Reid, John Gruden, Pete Carroll or Cliff Kingsbury might be able to help him with the other issues, if he even sticks with a team.

I’m just saying...Successful teams and Qbs at college level seems to be MOSTLY about just pure athleticism. At Pro level athleticism seems to have little.
Tom Brady and Joe Montana barely started or had much success in college. The Wonderlic score makes me think he CAN make good decisions. And we KNOW he has prototypical measurables of the successful qbs at the pro level. And they guy does also have heart and stoicism. Nothing seems to bother him. I feel he’s a lot like Tom Brady. Maybe the Pats pick him up w Belli coaching him.

I read through a lot of NFL player evaluations on The Athletic, a guy there (Bob McGinn) is doing a series where he lists the opinions of GMs and scouts on each of the top, combine invite, players and others. They are not candy coated opinions for sure.

I was surprised (or perhaps not) about all the evaluations that mention many of the top players as not "having their hearts in it" "afraid to hit and tackle" "playing to get drafted but not hurt." Opinion is that this is the trend among the pool of players, more now than ever. Players now, by and large, are much "softer" and selfish than they used to be, even when compared to more recent drafts. Finding a player with some talent and lots of heart seems to be the key. Perhaps Iowa's player more often fall into the "good heart" category, "love to hit."

I am tracking the draft more this year than normal, not much else going on in the world of sports. Seldom watch NFL games but do enjoy the draft.

Latest posts