Wonderlic

50 is a perfect score. Average score is 20. That's really damn good by Nate.

For comparison, Jake Fromm got a 35, Joe Burrow got a 34, and Tua Tagovailoa got a 13.

I have mixed emotions about Wonderlic scores. It is equivalent to the 40 yard dash times, you have to be smart on how you assess it.

Last edited:
When ever the Wonderlic comes up I can't help but remember the pride of Story county; the Davis brothers. How the hell did those guys remain eligible.

Last edited:
I have mixed emotions about Wonderlic scores. It is equivalent to the 40 yard dash times, you have to be smart on how you assess it.
Agree. If anything Nate is sometimes too mechanical on the field, processes too much, is too afraid of the big mistake.

Nobody ever confused Ken Stabler with a Rhodes scholar, but he was football smart and ultra cool when the game was on the line.

Who knows, maybe, just maybe, Nate lands with a coach that understands quarterbacks, like a Jon Gruden for example, or Pete Carroll, and lands in the ideal situation for that big arm and has someone who can fill in the blanks for him. How about Cliff Kingsbury at Arizona taking a late flyer on him?

IIRC Brian Griese or some other QB quite awhile back scored mid 40s and the announcers would bring that up time to time to comment "he is such a cerebral qb". Funny because it is good to be cerebral pre-snap, in the weekly meetings etc, but most qbs can handle pre-snap reads if they do the film and practice.

The real winners are after the snap as someone mentioned that you cant think a lot of just react and process fast.

As much as anything the really great QBs seem to have that mental, moving picture of the field in their head during plays and know where everyone is and who is open.

Not sure if the wonderlic high scores measure that.

If your three year starter at QB has a 40 on the Wonderlic, good thing Iowa didn't tweak the playbook. That would have been a disaster. Best to run off tackle and sweep to the short side of the field.

Sorry I don't have a link but Stanley's score was 40. Highest of all QBs.
Sometimes too much thinking is a negative for a QB. Stanley might fall into that category, too much thinking, too mechanical, not enough free flow. It is like a golf swing, too much think, you often stink.

If your three year starter at QB has a 40 on the Wonderlic, good thing Iowa didn't tweak the playbook. That would have been a disaster. Best to run off tackle and sweep to the short side of the field.

Lol

50 is a perfect score. Average score is 20. That's really damn good by Nate.

For comparison, Jake Fromm got a 35, Joe Burrow got a 34, and Tua Tagovailoa got a 13.
Sometimes a low scoring Wonderlic can mean a player has difficulty reading, or difficulty with a English, which could be a second language, other times it means the player isn't that bright and probably shouldn't have been admitted to college. At other times it means he is from Alabama or Nebraska.

Sometimes a low scoring Wonderlic can mean a player has difficulty reading, or difficulty with a English, which could be a second language, other times it means the player isn't that bright and probably shouldn't have been admitted to college. At other times it means he is from Alabama or Nebraska.

This...at Alabama especially, they are not paid to go to school.

I would love to see someone publish an history record of draft Wonderlic scores by school...going back to when they first started taking them. I would think that may reveal a serious lack of educational priorities. I guess you have graduation rates...but an intelligence measure would be interesting.

IIRC Brian Griese or some other QB quite awhile back scored mid 40s and the announcers would bring that up time to time to comment "he is such a cerebral qb". Funny because it is good to be cerebral pre-snap, in the weekly meetings etc, but most qbs can handle pre-snap reads if they do the film and practice.

The real winners are after the snap as someone mentioned that you cant think a lot of just react and process fast.

As much as anything the really great QBs seem to have that mental, moving picture of the field in their head during plays and know where everyone is and who is open.

Not sure if the wonderlic high scores measure that.

Have to agree -
"Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes, the NFL’s Most Valuable Player, scored a 24 on the test, which ranked ninth out of 12 quarterbacks. Oakland’s Nathan Peterman, who had a 38.4 quarterback rating in four games with the Bills in 2018 (including five touchdowns and two interceptions), had the second-best Wonderlic score of 33.

At the top of the list: Brad Kaaya, who was drafted by the Detroit Lions in the sixth round. He’s bounced to the Panthers, Colts and now Bengals. His Wonderlic score was 34. At the bottom of the list: Texans Pro Bowl quarterback DeShaun Watson, who scored a 20 on the test"

Read more here: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/s...etes-sake/article229573299.html#storylink=cpy

Latest posts