Women's basketball- Should the Rim be lowered?

I don't think you need to lower the rim.

However, I'd be in favor of getting rid of the three-point shot. I actually think scoring would increase if it went away. Right now, too many offense's revolve around the three-point line and there are too many poor shooters jacking up three's. The mid-range jumper is a lost art (However, Harrison Barnes is one of the few that have a nice mid-range jumper)

Here is the current typical offensive series. Pass the ball around the perimeter, jack up a 3, Shot misses badly. Rebound. Foul on the rebound. Shoot free throws. Rinse. Repeat.

The problem with basketball today is there is no flow to the game at all. Emphasis is on defense, not offense. Offensive fundamentals are terrible and kids can no longer shoot the ball. I used to love to watch basketball, but, with the exception of watching the Drake men three years ago, the game has evolved from a finesse game to something not much fun to watch.

I think you missed the title: "Women's basketball"

Cocky, your comment about how a competition between you and one of these ladies would end mad me laugh. It reminded me of my college days when my roommate got a little inebriated one evening, and during a discussion about women's athletics, challenged our schools center to a game of one on one.

Now, our center was the late, great Connie Kunzman, who played HS ball on the Everly Cattlefeederettes teams. Not only did he challenge her, he bet a steak dinner on it.

Keep in mind, Connie went on to play Professional ball in the WBL against players like Ann Meyers and Nancy Lieberman, so it really wasn't much of a contest as she kicked his backside while quite a few of us watched. And she even let him sober up first. He wanted to play that night. LOL

Unfortunately, Connie's career was cut short when some jack wagon took her life in 1981. She was a hell of a player, but an even better person.

I was referring to both men and women's basketball (I watch more women's games), but probably should not have used two men's bb examples.

My point was that we don't lower rims - we need coaches that are willing to teach kids how to shoot the ball.

This is a really interesting topic, and something I have thought about before. I have always thought WBB was strange because they play on the exact same surface as the men, with the same rules as men, despite the fact that it makes it a much different game. If they shot with a men's ball, the game would probably be unwatchable, because it is much hareder for a 5'8" person to shoot than a 6'1" person. If they modify the game in that way, I don't see the problem modifying it another way.

Women's soccer is played with equal men's rules and equal sized field, and it is a much slower game, whereas softball is played on a smaller field with modified equipment and rules, and it is a much more exciting game than if played on a men's baseball field.

They already play with a smaller ball in an effort to increase shooting percentage. If you make more changes, like lowering the rim, you are not playing the same game any more. I guess I don't see women having trouble making layups or grabbing rebounds. I say leave well enough alone.

I would be interested to hear what some of today's players would have to say on this subject. Interesting idea to say the least and I would be ok with it, from a fans perspective...

Without reading any responses no. In short its far to impractical to implement in arenas that host both girls and boys games. Can you imagine the costs involved for all the high schools in the us to put on all new and.adjustable height rims?

Do not agree.

Did you see what the FT %'s were for each team yesterday?

OSU 18/20 (90%) Iowa 19-28 (70%)

If anything the men's basket needs to be raised. :)

Do not agree.

Did you see what the FT %'s were for each team yesterday?

OSU 18/20 (90%) Iowa 19-28 (70%)

If anything the men's basket needs to be raised. :)

We can go through and find plenty teams and women that shoot at a high percentage.
So I see what you're saying. Good stats.

I think the feel and look of women being able to play EQUAL TOO or ABOVE the RIM will still make it easier to finish plays and be more athletic.

The men's basket does need to be raised! good point! :p

They already play with a smaller ball in an effort to increase shooting percentage. If you make more changes, like lowering the rim, you are not playing the same game any more. I guess I don't see women having trouble making layups or grabbing rebounds. I say leave well enough alone.

They aren't playing the same game now. It's a different game played on the same surface. Women play softball on a smaller field to represent our relative lack of strength and speed. Likewise, the basketball court should be modified to represent our natural athletic disparities from men. There is no harm in admitting that.

This is a really interesting topic, and something I have thought about before. I have always thought WBB was strange because they play on the exact same surface as the men, with the same rules as men, despite the fact that it makes it a much different game. If they shot with a men's ball, the game would probably be unwatchable, because it is much hareder for a 5'8" person to shoot than a 6'1" person. If they modify the game in that way, I don't see the problem modifying it another way.

Women's soccer is played with equal men's rules and equal sized field, and it is a much slower game, whereas softball is played on a smaller field with modified equipment and rules, and it is a much more exciting game than if played on a men's baseball field.

I think the comparisons to other sports are interesting. I think a modification to the height of the rim can give women's basketball it's own pulse, it's own heartbeat.
Why not make it different than the men's game? I think you can see by the number of posts regarding women's basketball on here that it needs a new heartbeat. And our women are good.

Fair enough. appreciate your response.

I see it in nearly every game where a girls player has difficulty around the rim. "nearly every game" is offily subjective..... but just watching UCONN.... I see there players struggle with it when they get in the lane. That's using the best program ever as an example.
High school girls basketball- average college players- eeesh.

I think playing on a lower rim would make womens basketball a joke. More so than many fans (myself not included) already find it.

I think playing on a lower rim would make womens basketball a joke. More so than many fans (myself not included) already find it.

Understandable.

What are some of the reasons it is viewed as a joke in your opinion?

(not that you view it as a joke- as you said- but why do people view it as a joke?)

I would be interested to hear what some of today's players would have to say on this subject. Interesting idea to say the least and I would be ok with it, from a fans perspective...

I agree with this. It's an interesting topic.

International basketball is toying with the idea. So it isn't too far fetched.

If the main figure heads in the women's game squashed the idea- well then, who cares what some dumbo like me says. Stupid topic then. :p

But I wonder what they would say.

Without reading any responses no. In short its far to impractical to implement in arenas that host both girls and boys games. Can you imagine the costs involved for all the high schools in the us to put on all new and.adjustable height rims?

I guess I don't know the costs- but i just can't buy this argument at all. it is just a fun topic- not that big of a deal- but this argument for not doing it would not hold water IMO.

In high school baseball- starting 2012- all high school teams will have to use BBCOR sanctioned bats- the current bats they use WILL NOT be allowed.

That means EVERY program in the state is going to be spending between $1,000-$2,000 on new bats. Any program that takes baseball seriously anyway. To supply freshman, JV, and Varsity with bats. To supply all three teams EASILY closer to $2,000 and maybe more.

They don't have a choice. It's a new rule. other states are starting this year.

High school baseball isn't going to just stop because there is a new financial hurdle to overcome.

I guess I don't know the costs- but i just can't buy this argument at all. it is just a fun topic- not that big of a deal- but this argument for not doing it would not hold water IMO.

In high school baseball- starting 2012- all high school teams will have to use BBCOR sanctioned bats- the current bats they use WILL NOT be allowed.

That means EVERY program in the state is going to be spending between $1,000-$2,000 on new bats. Any program that takes baseball seriously anyway. To supply freshman, JV, and Varsity with bats. To supply all three teams EASILY closer to $2,000 and maybe more.

They don't have a choice. It's a new rule. other states are starting this year.

High school baseball isn't going to just stop because there is a new financial hurdle to overcome.

For smaller schools, they can't afford to spend that much money on bats all at once. When my dad took over at my school when I was in 8th grade, he got 5-6 brand new bats (the ones the team had were awful). That was between $1,000-$1,200. But he paid for most of them out of his own pocket, because the school wouldn't pay for them.

For basketball, there wouldn't be coaches forking over the dough for new hoops. And every school would have to either get the hoops, or drop girls basketball. Which would put a lot of small school in a financial bind. Girls basketball wouldn't just stop because of a financial hurdle, you're right. But the athletic union isn't going to supply a new (and arguably unnecessary) hurdle if a lot of schools can't clear it.

Fair enough. appreciate your response.

I see it in nearly every game where a girls player has difficulty around the rim. "nearly every game" is offily subjective..... but just watching UCONN.... I see there players struggle with it when they get in the lane. That's using the best program ever as an example.
High school girls basketball- average college players- eeesh.

I watch a fair amount of WBB also. The lane struggles you mention are mainly due to the increasingly physical nature of the womens game IMO. Everybody is shoving, slapping and hacking, usually without much being called.

I do see a surprising number of shots taken directly underneath the basket in the womens' game, with the predictable result of bouncing off the bottom of the rim. I don't understand this, but I don't see how lowering the basket solves the problem. Unless you want it low enough for most WBB players to dunk, but you haven't said that.

Latest posts