With kf at the helm, we are becoming an embarrassment.

I say we all wait and see how the rest of the season plays out. How many of you think if we don't go to a bowl this yr Ferentz will be fired? GO HAWKS!

tumblr_lvpl9gSkZ71qkxjew.jpg

False. It was one loss to an extremely good defense. This just after a week where there was plenty of love from analysts and media members. No need to be all Henny Penny the sky is falling.

The Hawks will bounce back.

I'd love to agree with you, but I just can't buy this team. Do you really think we are contenders? I've been pleased with the progress this team has made since last year, but I don't see us being able to finish near the top of the league. We're a middle to just below middle team imo.

And I think we may take a step back next year. The defense will lose a lot. I see us continuing to be feisty the rest of this year and next year, but we're not really going to be making any noise in the near future.

I don't think we are an embarrassment but I think most teams look at us as a victory for their schedule. I have always been a KF supporter but I think the pro style offense that he runs is not the pro style offense that the pro's use. In today's game you have to have speed. You have to have a deep threat on the field at all times and you need two backs so you have a change of pace. For years I've watched other college teams and they always seem to have speed and quickness. I've always wondered why we couldn't recruit speed. Now we have Damond Powell. I think he needs to be on the field every play. The days of brute force doesn't work if we don't have the players to fit that model. I've read that Michigan State and Northwestern modeled their programs the way Kirk Ferentz built Iowa. Wisconsin is another team that took the Iowa concept and ran with it. The thing is they've added to it and they are all doing it better than Iowa. I don't want Iowa playing dirty football like MSU but if Kirk Ferentz is simply unwilling to change anything we will not improve. Hayden Fry hired coaches who challenged him and had aspirations to be head coaches. I think KF hires coaches who won't rock the boat or threaten him. We had a chance to hire an OC who was young, innovative and who could recruit but we hired Greg Davis. His offense is playing better this year but it certainly has not reached results of anything KOK did while he was at Iowa. I would be in favor of a change at head coach if KF is not willing to make changes in his game plan. I think in football 8-10 years is the longest you should have a head coach because inevitably complacency sets in over time. If KF implements some newer ideas I would be happy to have him as coach. Sometimes I watch the game and wonder if the pride of being an Iowa Hawkeye is still there. I believe the players have it, I'm not so sure the coaches do. By the way I miss the days of Norm Parker coaching the defense when everybody would fly to the ball. At the end of every play there would be 6-8 players around the ball. Just my thoughts.

I stopped caring what other people thought when I got out of junior high. I could care less if other people think we are an "embarrassment."

Another solid post Jack. Agreed.

I agree! Great post. AND this type of post shows the vast gap in thinking process and common sense between real, loyal fans and those chest-pounders who think their musty hindsight is relevant, informed insight. I think the Hawks - the team and the fans at Kinnick - had a slip in energy against a very strong team who played near the top of their game. The credo for this year's team is have a short memory. I expect to be delighted by the team that shows up in Columbus. Go Hawks!

An embarrassment? Bit strong. Ok lot strong. Being a Hawkeye fan is often a rollercoaster ride. An embarrassment? Like Joe Pa overlooking a Pedo? That's an embarrassment! A coach who doesn't care about whether the players graduate. That's an embarrassment.
Kirk may not be the best coach but he is not an embarrassment. Maybe you need a coach with a lot of drama. It's not Kirk.
Go be a Buckeye fan. It's easy for them. They get NC's an long winning streaks.

7 for 7 on punt fakes. This is embarrassing, Miller said so in the podcast and it all comes back to Ferentz. So yes he himself is an embarrassment to the program. 8-4 should be the floor for the program. Asking to go 4-4 in conference play is not asking the world of this man.

I don't think we are becoming an embarrassment so much as we are an afterthought.

Not even an afterthought, really. Iowa is just lost in the shuffle of dozens of mediocre D1 teams that nobody really talks about, not counting some of the talking heads in the B10 Network studio, fans of the teams we are playing during the current week, and people who follow Iowa sports. It's a shame, because I remember a time when this program finished Top 10 nationally three years in a row.

Other side of the coin, I do think we've shown improvement over last year and generally have improved since NIU this year. I think we'll get Purdue and maybe collect an upset scalp somewhere along the line.

But overall, we're merely a quasi-competitive team this year.

Serious question. Why do you think we take a step back next year?

And we'll probably take a step back next year.

Serious question. Why do you think we take step back next year?

I don't think we are becoming an embarrassment so much as we are an afterthought.

Not just an afterthought but irrelevant. When was the last time you could say that OSU, NW, Wisc, and Michigan will be able to NAME the Score against us. Those teams will Avg. 45 points a game against us. Kirk needs to saunter off into the sunset cut a deal with Barta tell him thanks and leave for 50% buyout of contract just to save face. Then the board of regents needs to go fire Barta's arse for being SOOOOOOO stupid to give him a long term contract we cannot afford to buy out.

Serious question. Why do you think we take step back next year?

I think the LBs are a lot more valuable than people realize, and we lose all three next year. This is my biggest concern. The last time we replaced LBs like this was 2010 and we know how that turned out. LBs are the lifeblood of this defense.

We also lose our best corner and our d-end from the defense (a position in which we are already fairly thin). I know people aren't real high on Tanner Miller, but that is another three year starter we're replacing. In total, I think the D takes a big, big step back next year.

On offense we will lose at least 2 o-linemen, CJF, and possibly lose Scherff. If Scherff goes to the NFL, I think run blocking will take a big step back. I'm not positive, but I would be close to 70% of our rush yards come on the left side.

We do return a lot of skill players so, depending on what Scherff does, I would bet we see some decent improvement or mild deterioration in the offense.

Oh, and we also lose our (mostly) dependable kicker.

All together, I just see a team losing too much next year. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
You mean we have run blocking?! Not sure but it looked as though they all stayed on the bus Saturday.

Iowa just lost ONE game on Saturday, right? They didn't forfeit the rest of the season I hope.

The way some of you carry on and complain, it sure sounds like it.

Iowa just lost ONE game on Saturday, right? They didn't forfeit the rest of the season I hope.

The way some of you carry on and complain, it sure sounds like it.

You are wrong, sire. We entered Saturday's game with a record of 6-0, and here we sit at 2-7. The humiliation of losing by 12 points was so great that we forfeited most of our wins.

I think the LBs are a lot more valuable than people realize, and we lose all three next year. This is my biggest concern. The last time we replaced LBs like this was 2010 and we know how that turned out. LBs are the lifeblood of this defense.

We also lose our best corner and our d-end from the defense (a position in with we are already fairly thin). I know people aren't real high on Tanner Miller, but that is another three year starter we're replacing. In total, I think the D takes a big, big step back next year.

On offense we will lose at least 2 o-linemen, CJF, and possibly lose Scherff. If Scherff goes to the NFL, I think run blocking will take a big step back. I'm not positive, but I would be close to 70% of our rush yards come on the left side.

We do return a lot of skill players so, depending on what Scherff does, I would bet we see some decent improvement or mild deterioration in the offense.

Oh, and we also lose our (mostly) dependable kicker.

All together, I just see a team losing too much next year. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Really good post. The loss of the LB's given we play no one else will be a huge loss and a reason for concern. I am in the camp that thinks Miller will be addition by subtraction as his overall play is not good enough for the B1G.

I do think the o-line can fill some wholes using Donnal and the young Ward next year. CJF has done nothing and has been a major disappointment.

Bottom line to me is if this season starts to go south like it may then a smart coach, not KF, would go to a youth movement to get some kids experience for next year lessening the graduation factor.

Really good post. The loss of the LB's given we play no one else will be a huge loss and a reason for concern. I am in the camp that thinks Miller will be addition by subtraction as his overall play is not good enough for the B1G.

I do think the o-line can fill some wholes using Donnal and the young Ward next year. CJF has done nothing and has been a major disappointment.

Bottom line to me is if this season starts to go south like it may then a smart coach, not KF, would go to a youth movement to get some kids experience for next year lessening the graduation factor.

The season went south last year and Kirk stuck with a 5th year senior in a meaningless game knowing he had a quarterback with no game experience to start '13 with. Why will he go with youth when he doesn't see any problems with his starters.

False. It was one loss to an extremely good defense. This just after a week where there was plenty of love from analysts and media members. No need to be all Henny Penny the sky is falling.

The Hawks will bounce back.

Wish I could agree. The reality is this.
We have played two teams with a pulse this season. Both games were at Kinnick. We lost to both and were BADLY outcoached in each.
The hawks have a couple beatable teams left on their schedule this season. My guess is they find a way to lose to both.

Not just an afterthought but irrelevant. When was the last time you could say that OSU, NW, Wisc, and Michigan will be able to NAME the Score against us. Those teams will Avg. 45 points a game against us. Kirk needs to saunter off into the sunset cut a deal with Barta tell him thanks and leave for 50% buyout of contract just to save face. Then the board of regents needs to go fire Barta's arse for being SOOOOOOO stupid to give him a long term contract we cannot afford to buy out.

Must be lots of cash to go around in Iowa..
Ferentz, 8 years at 3 million. Ferentz has went from an "underpaid, over producer" to an "overpaid, under producer".
Rhoads, 10 years at 2 million. Just another coach who will exit Ames at some point with nothing to show for it. (except millions in his pocket)

Fans in Iowa are really getting what they pay for.

Latest posts