With Ingram and Clemmons...

franstheman

we dont lose that game. That's why Fran recruited them. He knows that when you have only two guys who can guard on ball decently(May and Gatens) that you need quicker defenders. Nebraska was isolating their guards all night and when you have multiple guys who can create you usually get to the free throw line on slow perimeter guarding teams like Iowa and when you lead your conference in free throw % you usually win in that kind of game plain and simple. We also need Woodbury for more interior defense and rebounding as Basabe has clearly quit.

Iowa play horrible help defense that contributes to a lot of easy looks as well, team defense is a lost concept at times with Iowa.

We need more perimeter explosiveness. We also need our bigs to hedge on screens better. White kept losing his man after hedging which was allowing for open shooters. And as you mentioned we need better shotlbocking and defensive rebounding. It's hard to play aggresive man defense without a rim protector and perimeter quickness.

I think part of our problem defensively is we are young. Marble, White, McCabe, Oglesby are all playing major minutes and the lights are coming on for them. But just as they are growing into their offensive games, they are also still growing in the their defensive games. Basabe is clearly lost right now. Not sure how to fix him. Cartright was terrible at defense last year and still is. May is just a guy.

Exactly right about perimeter explosiveness. The best way to get the fast break started and play up-tempo is to get steals out on the perimeter where we can get numbers in transition. What Ingram and Clemmons will bring is quick defense and much better ball handling. Gesell will be able to contribute some solid perimeter defense as well, I believe. As for the shotblocking, Basabe needs to pull his head out of his *** defensively as he is a good shot blocker and Gabe needs to get ready to contribute next year.

Good post. I hope some wake up and realize that May will not be starting next year and Marble will most definitely not be playing PG with Gessell, Clemmons and Ingram coming in. Marble has done a great job this year, but he is too big to guard quick PG's in space.

The NIT bubble burst tonight.

Where would Iowa be if we didn't lose Ben brush and Cody Larsen?? Gotta think a different team

With Brust, we maybe lose Gesell in the next class. I'll take the future over short-term.

Larson is an Anthony Tucker redux, only with more talent and more serious charges. We dodged a bullet with him.

Iowa play horrible help defense that contributes to a lot of easy looks as well, team defense is a lost concept at times with Iowa.

I agree. That 2nd half was brutal. It looked like the purdue games. Screen up top for the point guard, watch him blow by our big man with our point guard 5 feet off the ball and out of position. He then drives and kicks for a wide wide wide open 3 time after time. The lack of any changes to what we are doing on defense is what has me frustrated. Try something, ANYTHING different. Frankly we just are not good enough yet athletically to guard one on one. When that includes Nebraska, that is really sad. I think it shows we are still very far away from being a legitimate threat to smell the upper half of the big 10.

I agree. That 2nd half was brutal. It looked like the purdue games. Screen up top for the point guard, watch him blow by our big man with our point guard 5 feet off the ball and out of position. He then drives and kicks for a wide wide wide open 3 time after time. The lack of any changes to what we are doing on defense is what has me frustrated. Try something, ANYTHING different. Frankly we just are not good enough yet athletically to guard one on one. When that includes Nebraska, that is really sad. I think it shows we are still very far away from being a legitimate threat to smell the upper half of the big 10.

Sadly, what I would like to see different is just let the guard to to the hoop and not kick out to the hot guy for a three...or better yet, the player not guarding they guy that is on fire rotate off of his man to give up a hard foul.

Latest posts