With Adrian Martinez in the portal

Wow, got this tidbit from the Husker board. Hmm.. Ya question if he was really hurt for the Iowa game. Was Frost trying to pull all the stops to beat Iowa then go into next season with just a bit of leverage?

1 hour ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Didn't see this one coming
:facepalm:
Rumors going around saying he didn’t have much of a choice. Frost wanted to move on.

Has any Hawkeye QB ever had .872 fumbles per game (34 fumbles per 39 games played)???

Honest question because I'm curious. That's astounding, IMO.

I watch every Husker game and have since the Riley era, and I know for a fact that it's not safe to say the majority of them are caused by getting hit. The guy has butter fingers and handoff issues.

Rumors are that he is heading to Kansas St.. I think Kliemann and staff could coach him up to a 8 or 9 win season. I say that assuming he is in decent shape health wise or will be.

And we all know how much and long it takes for BF and KF to brainwash.....I mean groom.....their Iowa QB's. There is no way they are gunna take a veteran feral QB with bad habits and try to make it work in their system which is a disciplined pocket passer. Same reason they wouldn't go after Spencer Rattler.
I think KF would use him the same way as Frost because they're so comparable as coaches. For starters, they both have 4 losing seasons with their current teams.

Would he in Iowa's offense? He wouldn't need to carry 90% of the offense. I don't know what he could do at Iowa, but he would be interesting.
I would tend to agree with you. Frost runs an offense that is very dependent on the QB, requiring him to make decisions in the pass game and the run game. If he were to be taxed less mentally (such as getting under center 20X per game to hand the ball off, for example) I wonder how much different his game would look. Not saying it would be different...just that I'd be interested to see what it looked like.

I have reconstituted my views on this.

Bring the kid on, full ride, but ONLY play him on Black Friday. Beat the ever loving holy shit out of nebraska with their own QB who couldn't win to save his ass.

In Kinnick.

There is no way you could possibly give Frost a bigger F YOU than that. It's going to be his last game as a Husker coach and I can't think of a better way to send him to child support court.
Maybe Frost will have a ride waiting for him, like Minnesota's Joe Salem in 1983.

Joe came up to Hayden before the game and offered a pregame handshake, explaining to Fry that he had already been fired and had a ride waiting after the game. Iowa pasted Minny that day as the gophs decided to quit tackling and three Iowa backs, including then wideout Ronnie Harmon, eclipsed 10o yards. Whatever the final score was (and I believe Iowa was in the sixties) it still wasn't indicative of how dominant they were that day. I want to say we possessed the ball for over forty five minutes.

As for Salem, it is widely believed that he disappeared sometime in the second half and for a time Minnesota was playing without a head coach. Oh would it be funny if Frost met a similar fate.

Has any Hawkeye QB ever had .872 fumbles per game (34 fumbles per 39 games played)???

I watch every Husker game and have since the Riley era, and I know for a fact that it's not safe to say the majority of them are caused by getting hit. The guy has butter fingers and handoff issues.

Wonder if he has small hand syndrome. That could contribute to this.

I would tend to agree with you. Frost runs an offense that is very dependent on the QB, requiring him to make decisions in the pass game and the run game. If he were to be taxed less mentally (such as getting under center 20X per game to hand the ball off, for example) I wonder how much different his game would look. Not saying it would be different...just that I'd be interested to see what it looked like.

Two points to what you state.

1) Iowa doesn't primarily work from under center all that much anymore. At least 85% of their snaps are out of the gun. They transitioned to that from at least Beathard forward.

2) The statement that if he came to Iowa he would not be taxed mentally is completely wrong. Many fans say Iowa doesn't run a very complicated offense and is not too involved. Contrary to popular belief, actually it is, and very involved, much like an NFL style. People that know football understand this. I am not saying you don't know football, either.

The QB in Iowa's system is making a lot of reads prior to the snap. They are running a complex offense. A runner going in motion is not to trick a defender, per se, a runner goes in motion to allow the QB to gain info, such as is the defense going to be in zone or man-to-man that play. This will cut down on the QB reads. In addition, the QB's are making very technical passes depending on the situation. Back shoulder throws, fade routes, air under the ball just a bit for a certain route, zip on the ball for others. This all comes into play. Not all QB's excel at all the throws. Is KF really going to bring a QB in for one year which would have to make fit his system, again, just to get one year out of him. I don't think KF would be interested in this project for a 1 year gain, in addition, upset the QB room. Would Joey Labbas or the current #2 on the depth chart appreciate this. Coaches do not want players who have been in the system and who could be the future leaving after grooming them.

Again, Martinez would come from a completely different style than what Iowa runs with a stiff learning curve for 1 year. Is it worth revamping that skill set or risking the QB room to bring that situation into play. Those are the questions.

Are those just fumbles lost?

I doubt Iowa QBs have lost 34 fumbles in the last 23 years. Probably longer.

Are those just fumbles lost?

I doubt Iowa QBs have lost 34 fumbles in the last 23 years. Probably longer.
That’s total, not lost.

But still…that’s a hell of a lot. And like I said he’s just plain dropped balls and muffed tons of handoffs/snaps. He’s butterfingered.

Maybe Frost will have a ride waiting for him, like Minnesota's Joe Salem in 1983.

Joe came up to Hayden before the game and offered a pregame handshake, explaining to Fry that he had already been fired and had a ride waiting after the game. Iowa pasted Minny that day as the gophs decided to quit tackling and three Iowa backs, including then wideout Ronnie Harmon, eclipsed 10o yards. Whatever the final score was (and I believe Iowa was in the sixties) it still wasn't indicative of how dominant they were that day. I want to say we possessed the ball for over forty five minutes.

As for Salem, it is widely believed that he disappeared sometime in the second half and for a time Minnesota was playing without a head coach. Oh would it be funny if Frost met a similar fate.

Joe's son, Brad, was my OC for a couple year when I was at Luther...he was a good dude.

How many years of eligibility does he have?

I only ask as it will probably take 3 years to unfuck what Frost/Nebby/Nebby's OLine did to him.

Latest posts