Wisky, a heavy dose of straight ahead running

uihawk82

They have almost always been a straight ahead running team with Bielema, Anderson and Chryst (Alvarez also used that deep handoff wide running play). The occasional jet sweep or a rare reverse are about their only wide running plays. They just keep using these straight ahead running plays and get their yards and occasionally pop a big one. Wear the opponent down to win the 2nd half.

Iowa seems to have a negative running play every 3rd or 4th run usually with an outside zone run. Perhaps the hawks should go to straight ahead power running with fullback leads, an occasional counter run to the fullback, QB under center all the time, have a sneaky QB sneak every so often, just gouge out yards, control the clock, and have some great play action passing.

They have almost always been a straight ahead running team with Bielema, Anderson and Chryst (Alvarez also used that deep handoff wide running play). The occasional jet sweep or a rare reverse are about their only wide running plays. They just keep using these straight ahead running plays and get their yards and occasionally pop a big one. Wear the opponent down to win the 2nd half.

Iowa seems to have a negative running play every 3rd or 4th run usually with an outside zone run. Perhaps the hawks should go to straight ahead power running with fullback leads, an occasional counter run to the fullback, QB under center all the time, have a sneaky QB sneak every so often, just gouge out yards, control the clock, and have some great play action passing.
1635094549858.png

Totally agreed. If only the Ferentz clan were not stubborn asses when it comes to offensive philosophy.

Last edited:
I cannot 'like' this original post enough. Any zone run vs the Wisky defense will be asking for a TFL. This is not the time to do the same thing over and over again, while expecting different results. I'm not sure how to crack the BTen's and one of the nation's leading defenses, but I know if I got paid over $600,000/year, I'd come up with some pretty creative things. But if Iowa is going to run the ball -- and we know they will -- I agree you've gotta take advantage of the aggressive 3-4 Wisky scheme by running straight ahead...every 2-3 yds/run is better than a 2-3 yd loss.

Screw it, go 22 personnel(2 backs, 2 tight ends) 75-80% of time and try to win the chess match 10-6. Yes, I know I am speaking like a crazy fan.

As for the defense sell out against the run. It leaves you more susceptible to play action, but so be it. Their receivers are just as pedestrian as the Iowa receivers are.

Screw it, go 22 personnel(2 backs, 2 tight ends) 75-80% of time and try to win the chess match 10-6. Yes, I know I am speaking like a crazy fan.

As for the defense sell out against the run. It leaves you more susceptible to play action, but so be it. Their receivers are just as pedestrian as the Iowa receivers are.

I agree with you on defense you have to stop the run with great gap coverage and try to get some penetration by the Dline to disrupt the runners. And like you say, try to eliminate minus yardage plays on offense, go under center to better set up the running game angles, get your running back moving forward, and to set up play action.

Our last win in Madison was a very low scoring game with the hawks making huge plays.

I was thinking the same thing. great minds think alike. I think in certain situations, phil will sell out..but try not to telegraph it.

Perhaps the hawks should go to straight ahead power running with fullback leads, an occasional counter run to the fullback, QB under center all the time, have a sneaky QB sneak every so often, just gouge out yards, control the clock, and have some great play action passing.
Fullback or no fullback, you still need a tailback that can run in traffic. Goodson ain't that. He's a perfect slot back and a great guy to have in combination with a true power back like LeShun Daniels, James Butler, etc...similar to Akrum Wadley only he's bigger.

A running game in the Big Ten led by Tyler Goodson without a power back to balance things out and without utilizing him in the slot just ain't gonna work. Especially against Wisconsin's 3-4.

I-formation with Pottebaum leading LeShun Daniels, Goodson in the slot catching passes, bolstered by Sam LaPorta would be B1G championship caliber

Fullback or no fullback, you still need a tailback that can run in traffic. Goodson ain't that. He's a perfect slot back and a great guy to have in combination with a true power back like LeShun Daniels, James Butler, etc...similar to Akrum Wadley only he's bigger.

A running game in the Big Ten led by Tyler Goodson without a power back to balance things out and without utilizing him in the slot just ain't gonna work. Especially against Wisconsin's 3-4.

I-formation with Pottebaum leading LeShun Daniels, Goodson in the slot catching passes, bolstered by Sam LaPorta would be B1G championship caliber
Butler was such an under rated back... Wish he didn't get nicked up while with us I'm not sure we saw the best of him. I really liked Sargent and how he ran he was better in between the tackles then Goodson too.

Wisky is going to dare us to throw over em. We won't run on them very well. Maybe we break one but it'd take a broken tackle or something to do it. This could be as ugly of a game as you could imagine. Take the under on whatever the spread is.

Our undersized DL could get exposed this week unless Phil's brings the safety into box to overload numbers. Our corners need to be able to hold up without help.

I do not see our offense moving the ball a whole lot against Wisky. Field position and turnovers are needed as usual. Neither one of these offenses are going to drive the ball 70 yards.

Our undersized DL could get exposed this week unless Phil's brings the safety into box to overload numbers. Our corners need to be able to hold up without help.

I do not see our offense moving the ball a whole lot against Wisky. Field position and turnovers are needed as usual. Neither one of these offenses are going to drive the ball 70 yards.
I thought the same thing heading into ISU and they did all right. It helps that two of our LBs are massive for their position and all of the back seven tackles well (at least assuming Moss is healthy). Keep the d line rotation rolling, make things difficult in the red zone and I think Iowa's defense can be fine this game. Our d tackles are small, but ZVV and JW are solid against the run and bring decent size at DE.

Wisconsin had two 90-yd drives a few days ago vs the BTen's 2nd ranked Defense, so I think their odds of having long drives are better than Iowa's, but I get your drift, and agree about needing to stack the box and take away what they want to do which is run the ball.

Wisky will bulldoze Iowa. They're currently about 2:1 rush / pass and I expect it to be closer to 4 or 5:1 vs Hawks. Their QB will rush more than throw and, if he ain't airing it, Hawks can't get it. Classic Iowa-Wisky physical game with Vadgers winning 27-17.

Wisky will bulldoze Iowa. They're currently about 2:1 rush / pass and I expect it to be closer to 4 or 5:1 vs Hawks. Their QB will rush more than throw and, if he ain't airing it, Hawks can't get it. Classic Iowa-Wisky physical game with Vadgers winning 27-17.
I would be pretty shocked if this Wisky squad were the one to break the 25 point streak. If either team hits 20, that team wins. I would bet neither does

IKM seems to be cured of the fumblitis. I wouldn't be surprised if he got 10-12 carries this game. He isn't quite the power back you are describing, but he will plant, cut, put his head down and go. If he could get 30+ yards on those 10 or so carries it will mean Iowa would be ahead of the sticks which they need to be to win this game.

Apparently, some of HN’s illustrious posters don’t remember that T Good was first team all BT last season. Will you please stop making asses of yourselves claiming that he is not an outstanding running back? The same posters bitch about our O line and then put blame on T Good. Damn. Do you know anything about football?

Totally agree with you as T Goodson had a very good game last year vs Wisky. Ten rushes for a 3.5 ypc avg and then that big time 80 yard TD. Granted last years OLine was cooking and humming right along the final 6 games of last season.

Goodson is awful damn good as long as he doesn't see 4 enemy jerseys in his face as he gets the hand off. He has enough power to get 4 yards if he can actually see and get into a hole. This year's running game has seen a lot of really good runs many times due to the RBack making some really good moves but also there have been a whole bunch of major floodgates opened and TG and IKM getting smothered in the backfield.

Last edited:
Check with me after the game on Saturday. I don't think Iowa will score more than 2 field goals and that will be a stretch. If I'm wrong, you can criticize me on Saturday night.

Goodson is awful damn good as long as he doesn't see 4 enemy jerseys in his face as he gets the hand off. He has enough power to get 4 yards if he can actually see and get into a hole. This year's running game has seen a lot of really good runs many times due to the RBack making some really good moves but also there have been a whole bunch of major floodgates opened and TG and IKM getting smothered in the backfield.
Great post. My biggest concern with our RB's is when the hole isn't there and then it becomes dancing time in the back field. I think they get to the hole or out in space were in good shape, but that hole closes and the no gains are replaced by the 3-4 yard losses, which we have to avoid at all costs this weekend.

Sure wish we had a thick and stout guy to send up the middle following our FB. We would have a better chance of moving chains with this up the gut plan mixing with passes and cuts from Goodson. Coaches see what we see and they get to plan coach and pull the levers. Wisky's best game was last week imo, and Iowa's worst was their last game. Gonna be an interesting game, and I am curious to see what the coaches come up with and how are guys execute it. A late game comeback win wouldn't hurt my feelings any, with Petras kicking butt in that final qtr.