Wisconsin Tells Spring Sport Seniors, Sorry, Time is Up

Guess I don't really have a problem with this assuming they allowed the seniors to complete their academic semester this spring. It sorta sucks for the students, but not many college athletes go pro anyway. Not to mention the schools have already committed to the next incoming class of athletes. So either schools will have to crap on outgoing seniors or pull scholarships from incoming freshman... you can't win either way.

At least the seniors can all transfer elsewhere if they want to keep competing.

That's something to really throw around on the recruiting trail, parents won't like it even if the kids don't care. That's with the assumption Iowa does honor these scholarships. The NCAA will probable not count the extra scholarships against the school since it's their ideal to allow the extra year.

No shocker here. There are no spring revenue sports. Since at minimum, there will be reduced revenue from no or low gate from Football this fall, this is a no brainer. It will almost certainly be what other athletic departments do as well.

I'm torn on the subject. On one hand I agree that it doesn't do the school any favors in terms of image. However on the other side, when your uncertain as to what will happen with your revenue generating sports come fall, I can see how you wouldn't want to financially bind yourself to the non revenue generating athletes returning to grant them an extra year of eligibility.

Latest posts