Wisconsin going for 2 up 41-16 in the 4th

As a Hawkeye BB probably reads this board so he would've read all the negative comments about not putting enough points on the board after the PSU game so maybe he was trying to add some style points.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFlRIBlyIrw]YouTube - Wisconsin/Minnesota 2010[/ame]

link to the video of it

Wow where is all of the MN love coming from? Who cares. 1 point or 2 points when you're down 25 you better be concentrating on some more important things like why did you get yourself in a position to have that done to you.

Thats the thing... it is 1 or 2 points. Why would you go for 2 at that point other than to be the exact opposite of classy?

I hate the gophers, but I would be disappointed if Ferentz did that. To me that is worse than getting the ball back and scoring another touchdown.

And like others have said... if you have the balls to do pull something like that... you should at least have the balls to not use a lame excuse such as "well the sheet said to go for it."

If making decisions as a coach = reading a sheet/being told what to decide without taking into consideration the time on the clock/the score/the circumstances.... Even I could do the job.

Makes me even more grateful to have a classy/respectable coach like Ferentz

Just my opinion though.

I don't like bielema. He's a crappy coach and a worse person.
It is embarrassing by increasing degrees that he was ever a Hawkeye. :mad:

Wow where is all of the MN love coming from? Who cares. 1 point or 2 points when you're down 25 you better be concentrating on some more important things like why did you get yourself in a position to have that done to you.

Come on. Really? You think this is Minny love? It's about football and the situation. I get going for two if it is in the first half or early in the 3rd. That wasn't the case. It shoudn't have to be explained. Just my opinion.

I think Beils may cherry pick a bit off Iowa's early recruiting offers, but I have no problems with him

jon..if you have no problem with "BIELS" after that than either the big ten network thing has gone to your head and you have some fear of ******* off a coach you may have to do a face to face with later....or you don't deserve the "football" respect that people seem to give u here.. that was a classless move. "BIELS" is a tool and it showed on national tv..embarassing for the big ten.....the whole scene being played on sportscenter......Espn is garbage outside of herbstreet....I hope you don't let the big ten network thing put blinders on you......but looks like it already has. next you will be saying that "BIELS" sends a tingle up your leg when he speaks.....

It was a dick move. Going for two when you're up by 25 doesn't make any sense. That would push you to 27 points, and that's still allows for 4 TDs for a win (if you're concerned about the comeback). Wouldn't have changed had it been a 26 point lead with the XP instead.

As for "If you don't like being scored on, stop them!", I'd agree, if it was about the Badgers scoring a TD when up big. But this is different. In an era where going for 2 is reserved for comebacks or preserving a somewhat small lead, and XPs are the norm, going for two when you're up big is considered bad sportsmanship.

Last edited:
Regardless of how he felt, Brewster shouldn't have talked about it afterwards. He could have downplayed the exchange or said no comment.

But that being said, Wisconsin should be embarrassed by Bielema. The fact Bielema and Brewster have had a testy relationship confirms Bielema wasn't merely going off a sheet when deciding to go for two. He acted like a high school bully. And who else has he had run ins with? I recall Paterno a couple years back, and then also Walden when Bielema was still playing.

Hayden Fry should tell him he needs to remove his Hawkeye tattoo.

I agree... I would be more embarrassed if I was a Gopher fan for the way Brewster reacted. I would be more concerned about the previous 54 mins of football on his side and how he was put in that position in the first place if I was TB. Is it running up the score if they won 43-23, 42-23, or 41-23? It's not like he was throwing with a minute left with his 1st team offense vs. the Gophers 2nd Team D. This isn't pee wee. If they don't like it, then stop them.

I agree... I would be more embarrassed if I was a Gopher fan for the way Brewster reacted. I would be more concerned about the previous 54 mins of football on his side and how he was put in that position in the first place if I was TB. Is it running up the score if they won 43-23, 42-23, or 41-23? It's not like he was throwing with a minute left with his 1st team offense vs. the Gophers 2nd Team D. This isn't pee wee. If they don't like it, then stop them.

The fact that Brewster shouldn't have commented has nothing to do with Bielema's level of d0uchiness...

If i was a Gopher fan i would be proud of my coach for telling it like it is....

The fact that Brewster shouldn't have commented has nothing to do with Bielema's level of d0uchiness...

I'm thinking there's a close race between Tiger Hawk Tat Bret and Mike the maniac Stoops for biggest D-bag in the Hayden Fry coaching tree

I think Beils may cherry pick a bit off Iowa's early recruiting offers, but I have no problems with him

The fact that you don't have a problem with "Biels" leads me to believe that you either A) enjoy loudmouth, immature, frat-boy-like coaches or B) are too afraid to call a coach out for a complete bush-league, d-bag move because of your affiliation with the "mothership of the Big Ten".

This isn't about "stop the other team if you don't want them to score again". This is about the coach of a team, who up 25, does something completely unnecessary and unconventional by going for a two-point conversion just to rub the other team and it's head coach's nose in sh!t. It's NOT the same thing as allowing your 3rd team QB to throw some passes up 25. He's put in the work and deserves to operate like the starting QB. This is completely different.

I'm embarassed this guy was ever a Hawkeye. I'm just as disappointed that you wouldn't call him out.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I have posted this elseware, and will re-post. I have played and coached competitive sports all my life. I played with sportsmanship and always respected my opponent. If you are telling me that Tim Brewster (or any coach) is going to quit trying to win the game down 25 with almost 7 minutes left in the game, then I will say that is why TB has been so unsuccessful. There is a difference in running up the score and putting it out of reach. BB has the responsibility to make sure his team wins the game. I would submit that if BB did not go for 2 in that situation, he has very little respect for his opponent. If I was TB, and BB did not go for 2, I would have made it known to him that at some point it would come back to bite him. Did TB send a note over to BB telling him he gave up, and was no longer trying to win the game? By your standard, Chris Peterson/Chip Kelly/Gary Patterson should be considered way bigger "d-bags" than BB. I would say they "run it up" unnecessarily against teams that have absolutely no shot of doing anything against them. You are making a big deal out of nothing here. I would be embarrassed with the way TB reacted if I was a Gopher fan to tell you the truth.

Brett might be wearing out his welcome in Madison if he doesn't shape up. You would think he would get the hint when they insisted he move to the suburbs that his past actions wouldn't be tolerated in Badger town.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I have posted this elseware, and will re-post. I have played and coached competitive sports all my life. I played with sportsmanship and always respected my opponent. If you are telling me that Tim Brewster (or any coach) is going to quit trying to win the game down 25 with almost 7 minutes left in the game, then I will say that is why TB has been so unsuccessful. There is a difference in running up the score and putting it out of reach. BB has the responsibility to make sure his team wins the game. I would submit that if BB did not go for 2 in that situation, he has very little respect for his opponent. If I was TB, and BB did not go for 2, I would have made it known to him that at some point it would come back to bite him. Did TB send a note over to BB telling him he gave up, and was no longer trying to win the game? By your standard, Chris Peterson/Chip Kelly/Gary Patterson should be considered way bigger "d-bags" than BB. I would say they "run it up" unnecessarily against teams that have absolutely no shot of doing anything against them. You are making a big deal out of nothing here. I would be embarrassed with the way TB reacted if I was a Gopher fan to tell you the truth.

Once again, this has nothing to do with "running it up" as it's a difference of only 1 point.

There was NO REASON to go for two (being up 27 is no different than 26 as 4 tds still beats you). The only reason you do is if you want to be a complete pr!ck and have no class. Sports, for all the money involved, is still about class and respect for your opponent. BB has no clue about either of those and, apparently, neither do you.

If you are a "coach" and can't see the difference, then that's a you problem.

Latest posts