Wisconsin already campaigning to play Neb final week

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Bielema tweeting about it. Alvarez has quite a bit if Big Ten cache. I am not optimistic Iowa and Nebraska will play the final game of the year.

I dont care if they do or not. I like kicking the crud out of MINN for the season finale.
Gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling going into the holiday season.

I would say Wisconsin is lobbying for this because they do not have a consistent season-ending Big 10 game like the rest of the conference. With some exceptions, the final games are usually set as:

Ohio State - Michigan
Penn State - Michigan State
Iowa - Minnesota
Indiana - Purdue
Illinois - Northwestern

Interestingly, they are scheduled to play Northwestern last in 2010. NW was also their last Big 10 game last year (they played at Hawaii after).

I think they have a case, i know everyone wanted an annual game against OU and Stoops. Both schools will have a say, but ultimately it will probably come down to UNL. Based on the ESPN poll i have to think it will be Iowa.

I have been thinking that it would be awesome to have the game early in the season and connect a county fair type atmosphere.

Interestingly, they are scheduled to play Northwestern last in 2010. NW was also their last Big 10 game last year (they played at Hawaii after).

I believe originally that was scheduled in the middle of the year but they moved it so they would have less of a layoff to the bowl game.

Iowa vs Nebraska on Thanksgiving day. That would be fun. Corn is a staple at the dinner table on that day anyway. It makes perfect sense.

Wis. has no real tangible connection to Neb. Alverez has as much connection to Iowa has Neb. And he is on his way to retirement soon anyway. Iowa is the only school with an actual border with Neb...and the resulting border rivalry that existed long before they came to the Big Ten. How many other fan bases in the league actually argued with Neb fans the last decade on a daily basis? None.

I think common sense prevails and Iowa -Nebraska becomes the appetizer on Thanksgiving Friday to The Game on saturday...Big Ten has two big events to promote.

Jon said earlier that Iowa might have to compete with a Neb vs PSU final game...

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

I would prefer to play a bigger name team at the end of the year.

Wisky needs to realize that they have a border war going on with Minnesota. It starts in recruiting and ends on the field...there's their final game. Everyone knows they consider each other as their conference rival...Wisconsin wants Nebraska for this game because Minnesota sucks right now, plain and simple, so the game wouldn't carry any kind of cache for tv.

I think this is a brilliant move by wisky. lets assume the cleveland writers divisions were accurate. If Wisconsin wants to get out of the division with UM, OSU, & MSU, the best way to do it is convince people to give them the Nebraska rivalry. If they were able to do that, it is a short step suggesting to be in the same division since you shouldn't risk back to back weeks playing the same opponent. and over the last 25 & 10 years who is the team that is about the same Win% and who would most likely need to be moved to keep the competitive balance? Iowa.

Brilliant.

Wis. has no real tangible connection to Neb. Alverez has as much connection to Iowa has Neb. And he is on his way to retirement soon anyway. Iowa is the only school with an actual border with Neb...and the resulting border rivalry that existed long before they came to the Big Ten. How many other fan bases in the league actually argued with Neb fans the last decade on a daily basis? None.

I think common sense prevails and Iowa -Nebraska becomes the appetizer on Thanksgiving Friday to The Game on saturday...Big Ten has two big events to promote.

I have to agree, and for those that don't care, having a big game at the end of the year that people outside of the Big Ten would find interesting or would watch is huge for Iowa, the late season pub a lone is well worth it. Sorry but beating a crappy Minny team the last game of the year does nothing for the program other then adding another W to the W/L record. Getting the Iowa/Nebraska rivalry up and running is the best thing for both schools and in my mind the Big 10 as a whole.

Latest posts