Wisc Game MVPs: Gatens, Cartwright, Marble

The half court press contributed to wisky's poor 3 pt. shooting today. After they got thru the press they didn't have their usual time to set up their shots, which may have resulted in their shooting more quickly and less accurately. The future is very bright.--Bo

Taylor is crazy good, but he has been off of his game, they don't really have a big guy who has asserted themselves yet, No. 40 (can't remember his name), is not bad, but doesn't command the ball.
I also thought Basabe/White played good post defense in the second half together. White got schooled against Purdue, but was aggressive and stuck his nose in the middle of everything today. Marble, wow, just continues to impress...only 7 points today, but four huge ones down the stretch and his defense continues to be the best of any Hawkeye.
Give big props to Gatens today, he defended Jordan Taylor good enough to not hurt Iowa when he had too. Gatens was aggressive all day today, maybe that three pointer at the end of the Purdue game is something he needed, he seemed much different today, not a big scoring day, but contributed in so many other ways like 12 rebounds.
Look at the five that were on the floor to end the game, if all are healthy, those are five best for Iowa. I like that combination of players and Oglesby hit a nice shot today as well. Another thing I really liked was seeing Olaseni on the floor, he didn't embarass himself either, aggressive and athletic, needs to not bite of every pump fake, it will come.
This is the team I expected to see start the season, no matter what combination on the floor and not saying beating Wisconsin, but not losing to some of the teams they lost too. Cartwright looked healthy today, hopefully there will be a little shakeup in minute distribution like the second half today.

You barely mentioned white. He is number 1 or 2 reason why we won.
I'm not discounting what he did. But Marble's D was amazing and his late game heroics were bigger. And Cartwright was amazing in this one. I would pick those two over him on that alone. White had some HUGE shots, though. The trey was big, some nice dunks, and kept balls alive. I won't argue that, just think Marble and Cartwright were bigger today. And Matt did everything - he was the glue.

not sure who was most important but i will agree that sometimes sheer number of points is weighed too heavily as cartwright had as many pts but also lots of assists which translate to pts. marble had a poor offensive game but his pts came in critical moments. this one was completely a team effort and not sure i can pick an mvp.

Shooting 49% at Wisconsin is a huge achievement in my mind. Especially with Gatens going 2-12. That means everyone else shot the ball well against one of the best defenses Iowa will face all year! Well done Hawks!

not sure who was most important but i will agree that sometimes sheer number of points is weighed too heavily as cartwright had as many pts but also lots of assists which translate to pts. marble had a poor offensive game but his pts came in critical moments. this one was completely a team effort and not sure i can pick an mvp.

I wouldn't say Marble had a poor offensive outing. He didn't play much in the first half (just 9 minutes, IIRC). He was 3-6 from the floor and grabbed four boards. Statistically inactive, but not poor. And with the way White and Cartwright were playing, Marble was smart enough to know he could let them do the heavy lifting today. He didn't force things because he didn't need to.

Best floor game of Gatens career. Played great D, forced bad shots. Hit some shots, but rebounded so well. Passed the ball well, smart game from him.

Cartwright showed his All Big Ten form. He was better than Jordan Taylor in this one, which says a lot. Some huge drives there to propel Iowa.

Marble - Ice in his veins. Not one, but two HUGE shots at the end of the game. Just insane jumpers he hit. Wow.

ALSO:
Can't forget about Mel. His inside presence was huge. Got the T and missed a crucial 1-1, but he was big today too. And Aaron White willed Iowa back, scoring 8 or 9 straight points for the Hawks when it looked like Wisc was going to open it up.

Good Lord, man. Aaron White comes off the bench for 18 pts and is the catalyst for this win. How do you forget Aaron White here??????

I wouldn't say Marble had a poor offensive outing. He didn't play much in the first half (just 9 minutes, IIRC). He was 3-6 from the floor and grabbed four boards. Statistically inactive, but not poor. And with the way White and Cartwright were playing, Marble was smart enough to know he could let them do the heavy lifting today. He didn't force things because he didn't need to.

you are correct poor was the wrong choice of words. he wasnt as active or aggressive on the offensive end as he has been. but when we neede him he stepped up. that is was a true star does.

I mentioned him.

Yes, but not quite enough... 16 of his 18 came in the 2nd half...

White, Cartwright, Marble, Basabe & Gatens, our top 5, are all the MVPs!

I am fine with White & Marble coming off the bench. It gives them a chance to study the game, their opponents in action, and then come in, disrupt their flow and kick a$s! Keep Brommer & Archie on the bench, give their minutes to Olaseni, he is our future.

The refs gave Wisky plenty of opportunity to get back in this game, they just didn't have it.

On Iowa!

The coaching staff deserves some credit also. There were a few points in the game when they really got into the guys to execute, dig deeper, defend, etc., and they pushed the right buttons. As the announcer stated, Iowa went zone after each time out, assuming WI's play would be designed for man to man.

Latest posts