Winning with a 1 dimensional offense

NCHawker

So, here we are (again) with a terrible offense...or rather more specifically a terrible passing game.

The question is how can Iowa win with a 1 dimensional attack? Has it been done before? Yes. In 2004, Iowa lost several running backs and went primarily to a passing attack. So how could that lesson help this team now? This is crazy, put in the QB who can run and and be a threat...double down on the run game. I know that sound ridiculous at iowa..isn't that what iowa does anyway? Not really. But imagine if PM was QB and created a credible running threat.

dang I felt like a teenager writing that. But hey what the ...

Throw the rock Kirk to win?
HeavyLiquidEastrussiancoursinghounds-max-1mb.gif

Happy with the win but I'm not sure there was any "dimension" of offense on Saturday........2.9 yards avg. per carry.

Would like to see Mansell get some decent playing time if we can create some distance with UNI. I do think a QB that can run to some degree has value to Iowa with their offensive issues so far. Unfortunately his lack of experience probably brings on other issues.

Happy with the win but I'm not sure there was any "dimension" of offense on Saturday........2.9 yards avg. per carry.

Would like to see Mansell get some decent playing time if we can create some distance with UNI. I do think a QB that can run to some degree has value to Iowa with their offensive issues so far. Unfortunately his lack of experience probably brings on other issues.

I am thinking Mansell gets time against Bucky after we gain 9 yds in the first half.

I agree with Ohhawk. Is flat a "dimension?" If I was coaching against Iowa, I would stack the box, go man on the outside because they can't out run my DB's. Make sure my edges are covered and keep crashing the line. I already know that if a pass does get thrown I have more that 50/50 odds that the ball will be in the dirt or a wide open receiver will flat out drop the ball.

I really hope, although I doubt if the press has the balls to do it, that they grill Ferentz during his press conference with regards to his offense. I'm sure that we'll get the whole hey we are 2-0 against really good teams (Ferentz thinking, not mine). Or "it is all about execution". BS, 110th ranked offense last year, and more of the same this year.......do something different! It is your offensive scheme, play calling, change it.

This is a championship caliber defense, don't waste it by being unwilling to make some changes on offense.

Last edited:
Can Iowa get enough points on the board in the game against UNI to create enough comfort for Kirk to play #2 and #3 QB?

THAT

is the question

I really hope, although I doubt if the press has the balls to do it, that they grill Ferentz during his press conference with regards to his offense. I'm sure that we'll get the whole hey we are 2-0 against really good teams (Ferentz thinking, not mine). Or "it is all about execution". BS, 110th ranked offense last year, and more of the same this year.......do something different! It is your offensive scheme, play calling, change it.

This is a championship caliber defense, don't waste it by being unwilling to make some changes on offense.

Well technically squandering championship defenses is kind of our jam bro.

With Iowa's great defense and TE play, yes it's possible but not probable. This all dependent on a solid running game, though.

If we don't start utilizing our WR's, our recruiting at that position is never going to improve. Stanley's play and the play calling in general haven't helped either.

If we don't start utilizing our WR's, our recruiting at that position is never going to improve. Stanley's play and the play calling in general haven't helped either.

You can add in there top notch QB's as well. No QB wants to go to a school just to hand the ball off and get 110 yrds a game, which doesn't show much to NFL execs. That's the next position to take a hit unless this gets turned around.

Iowa’s QBs and WRs have just had sips of the NFL. Been that way for decades. This is nothing new.

And for each anyone is going to mention that had plus average career length in the NFL, it proves the rule.

Latest posts