Winning going forward

• Thread starter Ian Pike Hammer
  • Start date
I

Ian Pike Hammer

We CAN win heading into the last week and beyond, but some things have to change. First and foremost, and been beaten to death, give a damn and play better "D". 10-15 points per, shouldn't be that hard to do. That alone gets us back into every game!

Even with a slightly improved def, we are giving away a lot of possessions on offense. T. Cook is the key moving forward, His asst to TO rate [2.4 - 3] is not terrible, but terrible LATELY. He has fallen in love with driving to the hoop and has had success, but too many TO's. He is a turn-over machine lately. Gotta stop! Just making better decisions will lead to fewer turns.
Also, his passing is horrendous. We don't need him to pass - get under the hoop, rise up and dunk the damn thing.

Fran has been resting the starters, basically all season now. Starters need to play more mins, if they ain't in shape now, it's too late.
Dailey needs to stop shooting 3's [20%] and stick to driving to the hoop.
Garza needs to hit his 3's or pass, [30%] Practice, practice, practice!
Joe W needs to be super aggressive on offense and be a dominant 3rd scorer.
Somehow, some way, JBo needs to replace Moss as the shooting guard, Moss 2nd string, sitting on the bench thinking about it!!!
Need some open looks to fall -entire team.

If these things would improve, we will revert back to simply outscoring opponents and winning, which was prolly the best option coming into the season.

We CAN win heading into the last week and beyond, but some things have to change. First and foremost, and been beaten to death, give a damn and play better "D". 10-15 points per, shouldn't be that hard to do. That alone gets us back into every game!

Even with a slightly improved def, we are giving away a lot of possessions on offense. T. Cook is the key moving forward, His asst to TO rate [2.4 - 3] is not terrible, but terrible LATELY. He has fallen in love with driving to the hoop and has had success, but too many TO's. He is a turn-over machine lately. Gotta stop! Just making better decisions will lead to fewer turns.
Also, his passing is horrendous. We don't need him to pass - get under the hoop, rise up and dunk the damn thing.

Fran has been resting the starters, basically all season now. Starters need to play more mins, if they ain't in shape now, it's too late.
Somehow, some way, JBo needs to replace Moss as the shooting guard, Moss 2nd string, sitting on the bench thinking about it!!!

If these things would improve, we will revert back to simply outscoring opponents and winning, which was prolly the best option coming into the season.

Pretty darn good analysis, Pike. I cannot figure out why we have cut back on feeding Cook and Garza, and Kriener, as well, on the inside. They are certainly capable of going to the basket, drawing fouls, getting points in the paint. Also, they can, when doubled, pass outside to JBO, Moss, and JW for open looks. When we have played well, this is the pattern that has been successful. Seems like we have gotten away from it. Against Rutgers, we spent the entire first half with our guards driving for the basket, with very little success. And, of course, we are only a decent defensive team when the effort is really over the top. Get back to it, guys, please. Yeah, I think we need to keep the starters on the floor for more minutes and back off the subs. I don't mean, don't play them. Just get more minutes for the starters. And, kick them in the butt and tell them we have to rebound better.

Other teams, including WI, have gone through some pretty rough stretches, and since I live in Wisconsin, I have heard plenty of criticism of Greg Gard, poor guard play, down on Happ, etc. Hopefully, as they have, we can rebound in these last two games + the BT Tourney and on into the Big Dance. We do have 21 wins, after all.

I think the part about increasing the starters minutes is huge. The conditioning of players can be affected by a deep rotation. Players may appear fatigued late in the year, not because they're out of shape or injured but because their bodies have spent the bulk of the season playing a set amount of minutes each night and suddenly they're asked to do more as the games get more important then what their bodies are accustomed to doing the past 2-3 months.

Some of Connor's minutes needs to go to Moss. I understand the goal is to get Bohannon to the 2 spot, but Moss needs to be involved more. A few games ago, he led the team at half-time in scoring and was the only thing going for Iowa in that first half and kept Iowa in the game. Then in the 2nd half pretty much went absent the entire half. He lost all his minutes to Connor.

Connor's minutes need scaled back quite a bit, IMO.

What do you mean by Fran has been resting his starters? The fact is this is how Fran has always utilized his teams.

Re WI: we might just want to keep a reserve or two in and "hack-a-shaq Happ" all game..............I will take his foul shooting and score 2 to their 1.

Wisconsin is a winnable game. And Nebraska is too. But if the Hawks get blown out at WI, I am pitching the kool-aid and making a run for my 1.75 liter of Woodford Reserve.

Some of Connor's minutes needs to go to Moss. I understand the goal is to get Bohannon to the 2 spot, but Moss needs to be involved more. A few games ago, he led the team at half-time in scoring and was the only thing going for Iowa in that first half and kept Iowa in the game. Then in the 2nd half pretty much went absent the entire half. He lost all his minutes to Connor.

Connor's minutes need scaled back quite a bit, IMO.

To your point, Conner currently has played the 7th most minutes on the season, behind only the 5 starters and Baer off the bench. We all understand the need to move JBo/rest him, and groom McC for next season and beyond. The problem isn't Conners asst 2 TO ratio [2.58-1]= is pretty respectable, the problems arise when
1) he shoots a 3: 2 of 17, 11.8% [absolutely horrible!] and
2) when he comes in in tandem with M. Dailey- 2nd team substitutions- giving the starters a rest. Neither of they are likely to score, [tho Dailey has improved lately], giving us about 5 points a gm combined. If 1 or 2 others struggle to score at the same time, we are in deep, deep trouble!

We know this is Conner's 1st real season and he'll get better next year but...

I doubt Connor will be real successful if he doesn't devote 100% to basketball or baseball. The good news is if Maryland beats Minnesota tonight Minnesota can't pass Iowa even if Iowa loses its last two games.

I’m not even a little bit worried about this team ROS. Here are some numbers.

Season 3% - 36.7

Garza - 30.0
JB - 39.4
JW - 43.9
Moss - 43.3
Baer - 36.6
Kriener- 34.8

Last 4 games...1-3 - 29.3 (best being 31.6)
RUT/OSU/IN/MD

4 Games prior...4-0 - 42.9 (worst being 38.1)
RUT/NW/IN/MI

RUT & IN are in both groups. MI is better than MD. NW isn’t as good as OSU (with their best player).

We have gone cold from 3. When we make our threes we typically win. When we miss our threes we typically lose. And I’m not buying the grabbing, bumping,physical play, etc. arguments. Moss put up a wide open air ball. JB has missed open looks.

I may be the exception but I still think all 6 of those guys are decent to very good 3 point shooters. And I don’t think we are going to shoot 29.3 over the next 4 games. And I’m confident we will be 3-1 or 4-0 if we shoot 42.9 over the next 4.

Re WI: we might just want to keep a reserve or two in and "hack-a-shaq Happ" all game..............I will take his foul shooting and score 2 to their 1.

Wisconsin is a winnable game. And Nebraska is too. But if the Hawks get blown out at WI, I am pitching the kool-aid and making a run for my 1.75 liter of Woodford Reserve.

If we did that, Happ would just go 18-20 at the line. Our free throw shooting defense is terrible.

If we did that, Happ would just go 18-20 at the line. Our free throw shooting defense is terrible.
nicely done. And painfully could be oh so true.

Which Connie bench player will go 19 pts above his average?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a good feeling about this one guys.

Hawks steal a road game here, of course not without some drama. We are better on the road in second half of season.

I'm ready to watch some entertaining ball. Garza gonna score and play better D than he has been and Little Dog (Moss, playing off the Big Dog moniker) will be back scoring as well are my predictions

Wisconsin is a winnable game. And Nebraska is too.
I’m waiting for some stat/story line in each game to show that Connie and Nebby “hasn’t had ________ happen in 19years”

You can bet it against Iowa.
That stuff happens to us.

nicely done. And painfully could be oh so true.

Which Connie bench player will go 19 pts above his average?

That's impossible for me to answer because I've never heard of him yet. All I know is it's the guy who drills back to back 3s 5 minutes into the game.