win was nice

redhawk55

Banned
but they have alot to work on, FT shooting less than 70%, giving up to many drive penetrations, the big positive was getting 47 rebounds 30 of which were defensive. Woodbury/Olaseni combined for 10 points, 10 rebounds and 5 blks in 28 minutes of play, + 2 stls, if not for McCabe's 4-4 the team shot 3-12 from 3

We're gonna need to do a better job on short white kids raining threes all night too. It was troublesome that he could get his shot up without anyone in his face so many times. He was like 5'10", yet multiple times we didn't have anyone close enough to get a hand up.

They don't have to be short and white, we need to be better about defending the 3 regardless of the shooter.

but they have alot to work on, FT shooting less than 70%, giving up to many drive penetrations, the big positive was getting 47 rebounds 30 of which were defensive. Woodbury/Olaseni combined for 10 points, 10 rebounds and 5 blks in 28 minutes of play, + 2 stls, if not for McCabe's 4-4 the team shot 3-12 from 3

No way. After 1 game we still have a lot to work on? With this veteran team? I don't believe you.

Of coarse there is going to be things to work on early on in a season when we've only one senior on the team. The good news is that they are light years ahead of where we've been in years. The press is working quite well and everyone seems to be getting involved. My concerns are also that they tend to let a lot of wide open three balls get jacked up but also that they seem to have short term lulls on offense. Both of those things are fixable as I think Fran is tinkering with his lineup a lot. As he should be. Last night they dominated on the boards but I'm really wondering how they will fare against legitimate competition. Obviously we have some concerns but again, the early performance of the team and the optimism surrounding the program are both light years ahead of what we've had in years.

Of coarse there is going to be things to work on early on in a season when we've only one senior on the team. The good news is that they are light years ahead of where we've been in years. The press is working quite well and everyone seems to be getting involved. My concerns are also that they tend to let a lot of wide open three balls get jacked up but also that they seem to have short term lulls on offense. Both of those things are fixable as I think Fran is tinkering with his lineup a lot. As he should be. Last night they dominated on the boards but I'm really wondering how they will fare against legitimate competition. Obviously we have some concerns but again, the early performance of the team and the optimism surrounding the program are both light years ahead of what we've had in years.

Dominated on the Boards? We outrebounded a very weak opponent 51-45. Dominate? Not sure what game you watched.

Outside of ISU/VT and the Cancun challenge, Iowa must shoot over 50% from the field. I was surprised to see a 36% mark in the first half last night. That said, they picked it up shooting in the second half to end up at 44%. It was the first game and they won easily, it would be easier to question things if they let this team play remotely close longer than they should. Iowa had one of those lulls in scoring, but it wasn't a 10 minute lull like last year.

Outside of ISU/VT and the Cancun challenge, Iowa must shoot over 50% from the field. I was surprised to see a 36% mark in the first half last night. That said, they picked it up shooting in the second half to end up at 44%. It was the first game and they won easily, it would be easier to question things if they let this team play remotely close longer than they should. Iowa had one of those lulls in scoring, but it wasn't a 10 minute lull like last year.

I agree that the offensive lull wasn't a prolonged one as we've been accustomed to and I would add that when they got it going again they managed to extend the lead and that is a very good sign.

for them to get 14 minutes each is a good sign. each game one will get the points and the other will get the rebounds in the exhibition Gabe got the point with Woody got the rebounds, this time it was the other way around..
to get 28 mpg and a dbl dbl out of the center position is a very good job

for them to get 14 minutes each is a good sign. each game one will get the points and the other will get the rebounds in the exhibition Gabe got the point with Woody got the rebounds, this time it was the other way around..
to get 28 mpg and a dbl dbl out of the center position is a very good job

Iowa also got 9 blocks out of White, Woodbury, Olaseni and Basabe...not to say that is going to happen every game, but having Adam/Gabe at the Center spot and having size make a difference. I don't think if Eric May plays every game he will lead Iowa in blocks this season.

The impact of Woodbury/Olaseni is not going to be felt on the offensive end because they don't have to be big scorers, oppotunity scorers, yes...you will see it in the Rebounding and Blocked shot numbers, not to mention overall defensive stats.

Brunner wasn't the biggest guy in the world, but he played alongside Hansen, that made a huge difference in what Brunner could do, if Brunner was playing the 5-spot during his career, I doubt we would think he was nothing more than an average player that "tried hard." McCabe/Basabe will have better numbers than they did last year when all is said and done becuase Woodbury/Olaseni will be occupying space and will not be ignored.

Iowa also got 9 blocks out of White, Woodbury, Olaseni and Basabe...not to say that is going to happen every game, but having Adam/Gabe at the Center spot and having size make a difference. I don't think if Eric May plays every game he will lead Iowa in blocks this season.

The impact of Woodbury/Olaseni is not going to be felt on the offensive end because they don't have to be big scorers, oppotunity scorers, yes...you will see it in the Rebounding and Blocked shot numbers, not to mention overall defensive stats.

Brunner wasn't the biggest guy in the world, but he played alongside Hansen, that made a huge difference in what Brunner could do, if Brunner was playing the 5-spot during his career, I doubt we would think he was nothing more than an average player that "tried hard." McCabe/Basabe will have better numbers than they did last year when all is said and done becuase Woodbury/Olaseni will be occupying space and will not be ignored.

Neither Woodbury nor Olesani rebounded very well last night, despite the fact UTPA's tallest player was 6'7". Of course, Basabe and McCabe more than made up for it.

1st game jitters. I would rather they have mistakes to work on in practice rater than a perfect game wih no mistakes,

also please show proof of this so called dbl dbl prediction by any poster

Latest posts