win was nice

Basketballman doesn't get how to read a box score, one of many things he doesn't understand.

Really? Check again my friend. 31-27 on the defensive boards, 18-14 on the offensive end, with Pan Am getting 4 team rebounds vs us with 2. Add it up and we outrebounded them 51-45.

Herby, next time use your toes when adding their points together as they combined to score 12.

Woodburys 3 blocks was a nice surprise, hopefully that will continue against stronger competition.

THere are multiple box scores floating around. CBS Sports had the rebounding edge 49-41 Iowa, and that was after taking into consideration team rebounds.

Rebounds are notoriously inconsistent from one source's box score to the next. I don't know why, but I've noticed this for years.

You guys might as well be ******* into the wind. It would be just about as productive.

THere are multiple box scores floating around. CBS Sports had the rebounding edge 49-41 Iowa, and that was after taking into consideration team rebounds.

Rebounds are notoriously inconsistent from one source's box score to the next. I don't know why, but I've noticed this for years.

You guys might as well be ******* into the wind. It would be just about as productive.

Thanks JerkyHerky. You're right. But for someone to claim we "dominated" on the glass the other nite is moronic. The only kid that was strong on the glass was Basabe. Gabe was decent. White got 2-3 of his offensive rebounds on one play when he tipped it to himself a couple times before finally tipping it in. Woodbury with his 6 inch vertical got rebounds because of his height advantage. Period. That's not gonna happen very often in conference play. We are going to need better effort on the boards as the competition stiffens or it's gonna be a problem. My gut tells me things will indeed get better.

Neither Woodbury nor Olesani rebounded very well last night, despite the fact UTPA's tallest player was 6'7". Of course, Basabe and McCabe more than made up for it.

You are pretty quick and just validated my point. Woodbury/Olaseni cannot be ignored because of their size advantage, therefore Basabe/McCabe will have better rebounding numbers from last season.

Hence, the Hansen/Brunner scenario...as you know Brunner averaged more rebounds alongside Hansen and put up better rebounding numbers than Hansen. Woodbury/Olaseni have to take up the space that couldn't be taken up last season and Basabe/McCabe numbers didn't improve a whole lot from their freshman seasons.

I would even project that Aaron White's rebounding numbers improve as well because of having a big man in the middle. Other teams cannot ignore Iowa's size as Iowa couldn't ignore MSU's size, the difference this year is Iowa has guys that could potentially counteract their size.

The point being is having a Woodbury at 7'1" he takes up space and a lot of teams are going to put their best rebounder against him and it will open up chances for the rest of the team.

Thanks JerkyHerky. You're right. But for someone to claim we "dominated" on the glass the other nite is moronic. The only kid that was strong on the glass was Basabe. Gabe was decent. White got 2-3 of his offensive rebounds on one play when he tipped it to himself a couple times before finally tipping it in. Woodbury with his 6 inch vertical got rebounds because of his height advantage. Period. That's not gonna happen very often in conference play. We are going to need better effort on the boards as the competition stiffens or it's gonna be a problem. My gut tells me things will indeed get better.

You probably cannot find this out, but I would be interested to see what the rebounding margin was when there were 8:00 left in the game. Bottom line is that Iowa outrebounded them and it is something Iowa has to continue to do in order to beat the teams they are supposed to.

neither Woody or Gabe have to be big scorers, their impact will be felt in rebounding and blocking/altering shots. you will see less dbl'ing down with help defense allowiwing for better defense on the perimeter

The only part that you read from my post the other night involved rebounding. And you chose to make a condescending statement. That is fine. But as another poster mentioned earlier, lets see what they had roughly around eight or so minutes remaining in the game. You know, when all of the walk ons and the other bench players saw their floor time. As I stated, we need to see how they do against real competition. The same point that you seem to think you made in the drivel you slopped above. The thing is, I agree with you. That should have been obvious if you took the time to use what ever reading comprehension skills you may have. It was very plain and in English too. You chose to make a condescending statement and judging from several other posters in here, you lack in reading comprehension. Guess that's your loss my friend.

You are pretty quick and just validated my point. Woodbury/Olaseni cannot be ignored because of their size advantage, therefore Basabe/McCabe will have better rebounding numbers from last season.

Hence, the Hansen/Brunner scenario...as you know Brunner averaged more rebounds alongside Hansen and put up better rebounding numbers than Hansen. Woodbury/Olaseni have to take up the space that couldn't be taken up last season and Basabe/McCabe numbers didn't improve a whole lot from their freshman seasons.

I would even project that Aaron White's rebounding numbers improve as well because of having a big man in the middle. Other teams cannot ignore Iowa's size as Iowa couldn't ignore MSU's size, the difference this year is Iowa has guys that could potentially counteract their size.

The point being is having a Woodbury at 7'1" he takes up space and a lot of teams are going to put their best rebounder against him and it will open up chances for the rest of the team.

There is definitely some validity to this point.

Iowa was very hamstrung in allot of ways that don't necessarily show up in the stats by being so short at the 5 last year.

I have nothing intelligent to add (Do I ever? Of course I do) but winning is fun. I'm incredibly excited for the next one.

Latest posts