Win-Lost %

bubbadunk

Fran McCafferty has a worse W-L % than Kirk! Why do we support a guy that makes over 3 million a year doing that poor of a job.

And by the way, Fran is about to pass Mr. Davis for the most wins in Iowa history and this is his 13 season, which was Davis' tenure at Iowa. Remember how things went when we ran that bum out of town......

You can't even spell Fran's name correctly and we're supposed to take you serious?
Sorry about that "McCaffery" Now! answer the question Administrator!!
And by the way, Fran is about to pass Mr. Davis for the most wins in Iowa history and this is his 13 season, which was Davis' tenure at Iowa. Remember how things went when we ran that bum out of town......
I see you settle for mediocracy! Hey! let's pay a guy 3 mil to be just above .500. Funny how some people think!!
That's not saying a hell of a lot! If Tom's a bum, then Fran's a bum!!

Short of a billionaire taking an interest in Iowa basketball Fran is as good as things will get at Iowa.

You can’t develop talent in basketball to the extent you can in football.

We like to laugh at recruiting rankings but when was the last time Duke or Kansas didn’t make the tournament? Those 5 star guys are really good and have been thru the AAU gauntlet. They are ready to start on day 1.

Sorry about that "McCaffery" Now! answer the question Administrator!!

I see you settle for mediocracy! Hey! let's pay a guy 3 mil to be just above .500. Funny how some people think!!

That's not saying a hell of a lot! If Tom's a bum, then Fran's a bum!!
Dumbest post in the history of HN. And that's saying something because I own at least 4 or 5 of the top 10 myself.

Funny how you think.

Look at the table below and you can see how ignorant (at best) you are to Big Ten coaching salaries relative to success. Here are some points to consider that I don't think you are sharp enough to deduce on your own just by looking at the data, so I'll hold your hand for you...

1) The average salary in the league is $3.64M. Fran makes $440K less than that. Three current coaches have performed worse than Fran and have a higher salary. No B1G coach who has performed better than Fran makes less money than him.

2) Column F is salary dollars divided by WP points. A "rustic" measure of value, showing how much coaches are paid relative to their success rate. The league average $/W% is $6,409. Fran is paid $5,351 and ranks 12th in the B1G. Only Painter (getting screwed) and Johnson make less money per WP% than Fran.

So...we have a coach who ranks 12th out of 14 in salary, 12th out of 14 in salary per W%, but is 9th in W%.

In every measure we are getting a bargain for McCaffery. Because if you're using pay compared to success rate, there are 10 other coaches who are make more money relative to their W%. I seriously tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, but It's official. You're a dumbass.

Screenshot 2023-12-07 065455.png

Underwood is paid! Fran usually outcoaches him. I still think we can get a step up from Fran even if he is good "value". I don't subscribe to he is the best we can get. Keeping a coach that is or turns out to be really good might be an issue. If we can get no better than Fran than get that level but someone who believes more in defense and rebounding.

Fran has returned Iowa basketball to Mr. Davis level post Raveling recruits, which Alford and Lick could not do.

Kirk has Iowa Football to the level at which Hayden had it after his rebuild.

There's some nuance and obviously times change, but that's where we are.

Underwood is paid! Fran usually outcoaches him. I still think we can get a step up from Fran even if he is good "value". I don't subscribe to he is the best we can get. Keeping a coach that is or turns out to be really good might be an issue. If we can get no better than Fran than get that level but someone who believes more in defense and rebounding.
The point of the OP was that Fran is overpaid. Regardless of whether he's the best we can get, he is absolutely not overpaid.

Fran McCafferty has a worse W-L % than Kirk! Why do we support a guy that makes over 3 million a year doing that poor of a job.

Boy, Dec. 5th and you just got it in time, the douche post of the year award.

Congratulations!

Add into that the fact that you don't understand the rudimentary rules of board posting by putting a basketball thread in the football forum is hilarious.

Last edited:
Fran has returned Iowa basketball to Mr. Davis level post Raveling recruits, which Alford and Lick could not do.

Kirk has Iowa Football to the level at which Hayden had it after his rebuild.

There's some nuance and obviously times change, but that's where we are.
Rob, I hate to split hairs, but I partially disagree. The Fran/Mr. Davis comparison is fair. Once Ravelings recruits were gone, both men are pretty consistent in their records, although Mr. Davis did slightly better in the NCAA tourney. That said, Fran inherited a dumpster fire and Mr. Davis inherited a treasure trove.

KF has exceeded his mentor though. If you look at HF's record, it was much more up and down. There were a lot of years with .500 or below records in the middle there, and at the end, Coach Fry fizzled out. KF has maintained consistency during pretty much all of his tenure. The average year is 8-9 wins under KF, and like Coach Fry, KF has taken a few trips to national relevancy and fallen just short. Given the number of Top 10 finishes, high-end bowls, overall consistent winning, and the fact that KF has actually made the program stronger during the latter half of his career, I think the pupil has clearly exceeded the master. I can think of no better compliment to offer KF.

Rob, I hate to split hairs, but I partially disagree. The Fran/Mr. Davis comparison is fair. Once Ravelings recruits were gone, both men are pretty consistent in their records, although Mr. Davis did slightly better in the NCAA tourney. That said, Fran inherited a dumpster fire and Mr. Davis inherited a treasure trove.

KF has exceeded his mentor though. If you look at HF's record, it was much more up and down. There were a lot of years with .500 or below records in the middle there, and at the end, Coach Fry fizzled out. KF has maintained consistency during pretty much all of his tenure. The average year is 8-9 wins under KF, and like Coach Fry, KF has taken a few trips to national relevancy and fallen just short. Given the number of Top 10 finishes, high-end bowls, overall consistent winning, and the fact that KF has actually made the program stronger during the latter half of his career, I think the pupil has clearly exceeded the master. I can think of no better compliment to offer KF.
The situation Hayden took over was considerably worse than what he left KF. He turned around a program in the shitter for almost two decades. He broke through the OSU-Michigan strangle hold on the conference, helping other programs in the league do the same. He built the program and its resources up to pave the way for KF’s success.

And that’s just on-field success. We’re only three years removed from a pretty significant scandal in KF’s program that Hayden didn’t have happen in his program. And then there’s the nepotism. Hayden’s son wanted on the Iowa staff badly but Hayden wouldn’t hire him because he knew the of the potential issues, which KF can’t see. That also matters.

KF deserves credit for keeping what Hayden built going but Hayden is the goat of Iowa Football coaches. Nothing you say will change my mind on that. :)

Yeah, it's amazing how low the Iowa football program was when Fry took over, and how quickly he turned things around. No transfer portal to facilitate a quick turnaround in those days, boys & girls.

The situation Hayden took over was considerably worse than what he left KF. He turned around a program in the shitter for almost two decades. He broke through the OSU-Michigan strangle hold on the conference, helping other programs in the league do the same. He built the program and its resources up to pave the way for KF’s success.

And that’s just on-field success. We’re only three years removed from a pretty significant scandal in KF’s program that Hayden didn’t have happen in his program. And then there’s the nepotism. Hayden’s son wanted on the Iowa staff badly but Hayden wouldn’t hire him because he knew the of the potential issues, which KF can’t see. That also matters.

KF deserves credit for keeping what Hayden built going but Hayden is the goat of Iowa Football coaches. Nothing you say will change my mind on that. :)

Fry definitely brought the program out from the abyss and laid the foundation. True to that.

I think we also need to look a the landscape of college football and all the changes the past 20 yrs. I twas much more stable for Fry to manage. Players were recruited expecting to stay for 4-5 years and was a definite developing program. KF has had to deal with many more changes with players leaving, and now the portal and NIL. Add into that with the landscape changing in conference with teams being added over the years and changes in the post season play (BCS, playoffs, etc.). I think KF deserves credit for that as it's been the wild west.

Dumbest post in the history of HN. And that's saying something because I own at least 4 or 5 of the top 10 myself.

Funny how you think.

Look at the table below and you can see how ignorant (at best) you are to Big Ten coaching salaries relative to success. Here are some points to consider that I don't think you are sharp enough to deduce on your own just by looking at the data, so I'll hold your hand for you...

1) The average salary in the league is $3.64M. Fran makes $440K less than that. Three current coaches have performed worse than Fran and have a higher salary. No B1G coach who has performed better than Fran makes less money than him.

2) Column F is salary dollars divided by WP points. A "rustic" measure of value, showing how much coaches are paid relative to their success rate. The league average $/W% is $6,409. Fran is paid $5,351 and ranks 12th in the B1G. Only Painter (getting screwed) and Johnson make less money per WP% than Fran.

So...we have a coach who ranks 12th out of 14 in salary, 12th out of 14 in salary per W%, but is 9th in W%.

In every measure we are getting a bargain for McCaffery. Because if you're using pay compared to success rate, there are 10 other coaches who are make more money relative to their W%. I seriously tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, but It's official. You're an idiot.

View attachment 10540
Painter at Purdue only getting 3.5 mil! Dude needs a new agent

Latest posts