Willie Guy

jesterapparel

Just tried to sell me credit card processing. Had his Iowa nike polo on.
Still looks like he could play. Seemed nice but already in a contract for processing so I didn't want to waste his time or mine.

Never mentioned being a former Iowa player.

Unfortunately, may be one of the biggest recruit busts in Iowa Hx. Wasn't he like the #1 rated receiver recruited for that year? Where did he play high school ball?

Unfortunately, may be one of the biggest recruit busts in Iowa Hx. Wasn't he like the #1 rated receiver recruited for that year? Where did he play high school ball?

He was from Memphis and played QB in HS. He never quite made that transition from QB to WR. While some label him a bust I'm not so sure I can go that far. Sure, I'm well aware his career didn't live up to the expectations. However, the fact he even made it to Iowa is amazing. Due to eligibility issues, etc. it took him 2 years before he even practiced Iowa. That's a LONG time. I also believe he was graduated. That fact he persevered and overcame the obstacles he did to play football for Iowa is hardly the stuff of being a bust.

Last edited:
IIRC I think he was a HS QB from Tennessee and was the overall #1 rated recruit in the nation. Iowa switched him to WR if I am remembering correctly.

Sounds like he has a family now, so I hope things are going well for him.

Glad to see he was showing the Iowa colors but I'm sure it helps with sales too:)

I worked with Willie soon after he finished at Iowa. Very nice guy and very humle.
In my opinion, football wise, Iowa probably wasn't the best fit for him. He didn't make the transition from qb to wr quite like McNutt has, but he wasn't terrible either. If he really wanted to make more out of football, a school with a different style probably would have better suited him. But while working with him, I learned that he really liked the state of Iowa and didn't want to return to Memphis where he didn't feel was where he wanted to live and eventually raise a family. Basically he gave me the impression that he wanted to be more things than only a football player.

He coaches a youth team in Cedar Rapids now in the MYFA organization. Our team scrimmaged his a couple weeks ago...didn't really interact with him much, but he acted as the "ref" during the scrimmage. Doesn't he do some refereeing in the area for high school football?

Willie just reffed our high school playoff game last night. He would sprint down the sidelines while the other refs drug their butts around the field. He even tucked the ball as he was running down the sidelines! We had a good time watching him ref last night :) My husband recognized him from when he was with the Hawkeyes.

Wow. I thought this thread was in the Abyss. How'd you ever find it?

Does he live in the CR area? It's amazing some of these guys stick around IC when you would think they would be the type to leave after graduating. Glad to hear he's still around & apparently doing well.

I umped 20+ youth baseball games with Willie this last spring/summer I didn't know he was a hawkeye until now(maybe before my time.) I was kinda suprised to find out we has a football player i.e. not much size. He was however far and above the best umpire I have ever worked with...

Nice Article I read a couple months ago on Willie Guy. Glad I was able to find it..

Willie Guy excited about helping Jeff

Guy was a prep All-American in 1989 and one of the nation's most sought-after recruits. He was Tennessee's "Mr. Football" in 1989 and picked Iowa over Oklahoma, Georgia, Nebraska and Notre Dame. He played for Iowa in 1994 and '95, ending his career in the 1995 Sun Bowl.

Guy stayed in Iowa after he graduated in 1996. He and his wife, Julie, have three children -- Avery, an 8th grader; Willie, a 6th grader; and Dayten, starting kindergarten -- and he will work as a para-educator at Wilson Middle School this year, where he coaches the track team. He'll also be one of the freshman girls basketball coaches at Jefferson this season.

IIRC I think he was a HS QB from Tennessee and was the overall #1 rated recruit in the nation. Iowa switched him to WR if I am remembering correctly.

Yeah, they did. Unfortunately, the staff didn't have a caretaker like O'Keefe at the time who could help a player through the transition.

I admire Willie for sticking with Iowa and fighting to become eligible when he so easily could have gone elsewhere. The man gave his word and kept it.

Latest posts