Williams

Williams has passed Ellingson. Wondering if this move should have been made awhile ago. Fran has a tendency to stick with players for too long sometimes (McCabe is a prime example).

This was my thought last night... Williams should have had Ellingson's minutes all along. Granted I'm not sure it changes the outcome of many games but would have been nice to get him more experience.

Williams was a bright spot for sure. We are so thin at the guard positions. BE has had plenty of chances and has shown he is nowhere near ready. Hopefully Williams can contribute more and more often.

Baer showed up tonight and played well. Woody and Sapp pretty much ruined Senior Night. Too bad, they deserve better but you gotta produce on the big stage and they had their chances.

Uh, wut? Uthoff was 5-17 from the floor. I'm not bashing on him, but if you're going to point fingers at the seniors, you best not limit it to Sapp and Woody. Uthoff was responsible for a lot of empty possessions.

Hadn't seen much of Williams this year, but looks like the kid has got some game. If nothing else, it gives me a little more optimism for the PG position next year. He'll still have some bumps next year, just a sophomore, but maybe not quite as dire a situation as I've been thinking.

I like that instead of having a starting point guard who is known for defense, can't shoot, can't create, and a backup point guard who is known for defense, can't shoot, can't create, we have one who can shoot, and one who is a long slasher.

If you watch Iowa's offensive possessions and then the opponent's possessions, notice how Iowa always has to take defenders out past the 3 point line to defense, which spreads out the defense, while others defending our point guards can sit back at 15 feet and play passing lanes and cut off penetration. We have to go over ball screens and hedge which helps others create offense on a pick-and-roll or pick-and-pop. We then have 3 guys to help, basically given them a 4-on-3 to the basket. How many times have we seen a block-to-block pass for an easy lay-in or dunk. Indiana made a living off of it until we switched to zone. Of course, the zone helped them go 8-11 in the first half from 3.

So back to your point, yes, it will be nice to have a guy that can create and/or shoot so we can use him in our offense instead of hurting our half-court sets.

I'm so glad the coach is able get the all players some playing time especially for Williams . I'm excited for next 4 years.

Williams has passed Ellingson. Wondering if this move should have been made awhile ago. Fran has a tendency to stick with players for too long sometimes (McCabe is a prime example).

Ironically, I came into last night's game thinking we could have really used someone like Zach during these last couple of weeks who would put his head down and go to the damn basket, especially when we've gotten so many of the opposing players in foul trouble.

Exactly. Give me Devan Bawinkel and Seth Gorney over those 2. Man how I long for the days when we didn't have to worry about losing the B10 title in March. These scrubs couldn't even deliver us a split of the conference title. Worthless.

Bawinkel didn't even play point so wtf does that even have to do with my statement? At least you could've mentioned payne, though you probably know Mike ain't that much better. Face it neither Woodbury or Gesell would start on any other B1G team. That's bad considering they were both 4yr starters at Iowa.

Bawinkel didn't even play point so wtf does that even have to do with my statement? At least you could've mentioned payne, though you probably know Mike ain't that much better. Face it neither Woodbury or Gesell would start on any other B1G team. That's bad considering they were both 4yr starters at Iowa.

John Licklighter

I do feel a lot better about next year. I was concerned that we were set to rely on a PG who has hardly played. But after what I saw last night, I feel much more confident that Christian Williams will be able to handle the job.

Uh, wut? Uthoff was 5-17 from the floor. I'm not bashing on him, but if you're going to point fingers at the seniors, you best not limit it to Sapp and Woody. Uthoff was responsible for a lot of empty possessions.

I only played through high school but it's pretty clear he's floating on his shots and that's why he's side and front ironing his shots. Maybe B. Hanson needs to have a sit-down with him like he did with Gatens.

Uthoff just makes a couple of those down the stretch and we win.

Wagner also was impressive last night. Iowa made a good portion of its run with Baer, Wagner & Williams in the game.
Was thinking this as well. Next year's squad will suffer some growing pains but I'm sort of looking forward to see their progress.

No doubt Williams looked far better last night than he has so far in the few minutes he has actually played this year. I feel slightly less panicked about the point next year than I was yesterday afternoon.

Williams looked good and I like what he brings but after 4 years Mike at PG I'm absolutely fed up with having a PG who can't shoot the 3. If Williams doesn't have the 3 ball in his aresanal, even with how impressive he was.... Give me Bohannon. I know he'll be able to shoot the 3.
Mike can shoot the 3...he is not asked to do so by this staff.

Williams looked really good. He made me a bit nervous when he almost turned it over out in the open court. But he has a year to work on that...and it does happen on occasion. I have a feeling we will see him about 15 minutes per game the rest of the year...if he plays even close to how he played last night.

Williams looked really good. He made me a bit nervous when he almost turned it over out in the open court. But he has a year to work on that...and it does happen on occasion. I have a feeling we will see him about 15 minutes per game the rest of the year...if he plays even close to how he played last night.

Agreed. The handle is a little loose yet.