Will we ever get to the Rose Bowl under the current staff?

Re: By the way, Cory, I am unsure of something.

For the thousandth time, proles, even applying pre-BCS rules we would not have gone to the Rose Bowl in 2003. First tiebreaker was head to head (N/A), second tiebreaker was overall record, oops, we lost to the Clowns. So even under the old rules, we wouldn't have gone.

Now that Ferentz has to have a better record than Michigan, MSU and Nebraska and then beat the best from the other side of the conference in a one game matchup, I don't see any way we make it to the Rose Bowl in the next 25 years unless some sort of miracle occurs. We only got a leg up on Michigan because Carr was the only coach who was more conservative than Kurt and then their program got ruined by RichRod. OSU is gonna be backer than our basketball team when Urban takes over. At least PSU is prolly toast, though, but that helps Nebraska bince I think PSU is Nebraska's protected rival.

I do believe Wisconsin has been to something like 5 Rose Bowls bince we went to our last Rose Bowl, so second tier teams can make it, but Wisconsin has been out-Iowaing Iowa of late, with consistently dominant o-lines and a robust running attack that can cover up deficiencies in terms of talent and speed on defense other than against the very best of offenses.

There is a lot of truth in this, but I actually think that the divisional format makes it easier for Iowa to get in. If they win the division they will likely be matched up with Ohio State for the foreseeable future, but upsets happen in conference championship games. Depending on how are defense is adjusted with a new DC it is possible we will match up better against an Urban Style of defense.

Re: By the way, Cory, I am unsure of something.

There is a lot of truth in this, but I actually think that the divisional format makes it easier for Iowa to get in. If they win the division they will likely be matched up with Ohio State for the foreseeable future, but upsets happen in conference championship games. Depending on how are defense is adjusted with a new DC it is possible we will match up better against an Urban Style of defense.

I've been to a lot of Northwestern-Iowa games and I agree upsets happen. The fact that OSU will likely be representing the other division is why I really dislike Iowa's chances. Kurt has gotten absolutely owned by OSU during his tenure, other than in 2004 when OSU was playing a very inexperienced Troy Smith. You figure we'll get to the title game once every 6 years or so and maybe we'll get a lucky break and draw someone other than OSU one out of 4 times = one Rose Bowl in next 25 years if we are lucky.

I miss that game and all that surrounds it. A whole generation is not going to have any idea of how great it is to go to the Rose Bowl.

We have had more than our share of chances but have always lost to a team we should have beaten and were favored against. Are we running out of time?
We should have been there in 2002 but the Bowl Selection process made it so the Orange Bowl got to pick before the Rose. Im Sure the Rose Bowl would have much rather had Iowa vs Wazzu that year and OU vs USC in the Orange instead of OU vs Wazzu in the rose and Iowa vs USC in the Orange.

Cover3, I am not trying to be dense, but at least now maybe I am getting somewhere. What specifically is the head-to-head wins tie breaker to which you refer? We didn't play OSU that year so it isn't that. What tie-breaker method meant that a non-conference loss to ISU kept us from being a B10 automatic qualifier and out of the Rose Bowl? How would OSU ever NOT have been the automatic qualifier from the B10?

I misspoke. I was trying to say they had the 'overall record' tiebreaker (13-0 over 11-1). If we had been 12-0 and OSU 13-0, we actually would have been locked into Pasadena by being the first Big Ten team up for grabs. OSU would have been #2 in spite of their (presumably) higher national ranking because they had been to Pasadena more recently (a tiebreaker the Big Ten still had then).

Like OK4P said, the BCS didn't mess up Iowa's Rose Bowl trip that year. In the pre-BCS days, the 2002 Hawks are playing in Orlando in the Citrus Bowl. If the same season had played out after 2006, yes, Iowa goes to Pasadena, but we still would have gone in '02 (or to the NCG) if we beat the Clones that year.

I will agree with the general sentiment that Rose Bowl trips have become a little arbitrary, as KF has had at least three, and maybe five teams better than the Zooker's 2007 Illini which got to play whipping boy for USC on 01/01/08.

Latest posts