Will the Offense Change?

There is no doubt that the "conservative offense" is KF not KoK. However, KoK was the one calling plays and he was absolutely horrendous at that in extremely key situations.

Situational playcalling has been the issue for years. That is what I hope to see fixed with a new OC calling plays within the same KF offense.

If the play calling is going to improve then the recruiting is going to have to improve. It's very concerning that we pretty much ran the same offense for the last eleven years regardless of the skill level of the players on any given year. You would think that if on a given year you were blessed with a gifted group of receivers that you would tweak your play calling to take advantage of those skill positions. Not so under KOK. The only two years that stand out in my memory where anything may have been tweaked was the year we lost all of our running backs and had to go to a pass, pass, pass, run mind set. I believe that was the year we beat LSU in the capital one bowl game (was there with wife and kids, great game). The other year was when we had Green running the ball which tweaked us just the opposite.........run, run, run, run, pass, run, run, run, run....... Just think what an average year that would have been with out Green bulldozing his way through the opponents defense. I hope we see a change in our offensive schemes and that we can bring in the talent needed to do so. Most of the successful programs are going to a more open style of offense.

Last edited:
The philosophy won't change and why should it, it's a sound one that has worked for many teams on many levels. I would like to think the situational play calling will improve though.

I don't think I will change a great deal, but it really depends on who is the new OC, because each one likes to add his own wrinkle to everything

There is no doubt that the "conservative offense" is KF not KoK. However, KoK was the one calling plays and he was absolutely horrendous at that in extremely key situations.

Situational playcalling has been the issue for years. That is what I hope to see fixed with a new OC calling plays within the same KF offense.

This is disingenuous. Didn't Norm Parker call the pass defense against Northwestern? Why aren't you also harping about Norm's play calling?

Hasn't Ferentz always played it safe? Let the punt bounce even if rolls 20 yards for fear the punt receiver will fumble?
Play calling at the end of halves?
Why aren't you on Ferentz's case for his play calling?

You're just on KOK's case. Why is that?
My guess is because you love Norm Parker so much, and hate anything (like bad defensive performance) that puts a 'bad light' on Norm's defense.

Terminology might change a little depending on if its someone from outside. the major philosophies won't (run to set up the pass, play action, stretch play, etc.). I would imagine depending on who it is, that there's no way they won't be better prepared and more efficient. Hopefully the running them through different scenarios to expect will be better (read: game management). The major items will be the same, a few wrinkles change. Major philosophies come from the head coach, scheme from the coordinators. We shall see.....

Hell yes it will change,to many questions to be answered.Who will start at RB,WR,TE and Offensive line openings.Depending how everyone does in camp will dictate what kind of Off. we will have.

Hell yes it will change,to many questions to be answered.Who will start at RB,WR,TE and Offensive line openings.Depending how everyone does in camp will dictate what kind of Off. we will have.

well yea some personnel will change but we will be an i-form run 1st offense because that is what kf wants. the offense will have a few new wrinkles and maybe some changes to terminology. my hope is they use more packages and motions to dictate match ups that benefit us.

What if IA ran NW's offense? If our defense remained the same from last year even we would be able to outscore most opponents. Probably won't happen given what we kno about KF, but what if, what if.

well yea some personnel will change but we will be an i-form run 1st offense because that is what kf wants. the offense will have a few new wrinkles and maybe some changes to terminology. my hope is they use more packages and motions to dictate match ups that benefit us.

I hate to burst your bubble, but switching up packages and utilizing motions isn't required to gain match up advantages.

At the end of the day any coach will tell you the same thing on either side of the ball. It comes down to execution. The only fundamental difference between a pro style offense versus a spread is the type of reads the QB is making and the fact that the Spread typically utilizes more of the lateral space on the field.

There is no doubt that the "conservative offense=" is KF not KoK. However, KoK was the one calling plays and he was absolutely horrendous at that in extremely key situations. Situational playcalling has been the issue for years. That is what I hope to see fixed with a new OC calling plays within the same KF offense.
=

I don't understand why people can't see this. whoever the new guy coming in is given KOK's exact playbook, he will call plays differently.

Than add in the sutle changes of adding other plays, formations, personnel groupings, route combos all of those don't take much extra time to teach.

Will it be a noticeable difference? not for the causal football fan or many on this board. But most Iowa fans will see a change in situational plays for sure.

i have come up with 2 things i really want to see from the new oc. these are the 2 things i believe held us back the most. kok in my opinion was a good teacher, developer of talent, and gameplanner. but he was very pedestrian in is gameday play calling and personnel groupings. i believe better gameday playcalling (basically more consistent) and more personnel groups. the personnel groupings is my main one as i think the offense is fine. things like a speed personnel group that has your 4 fastest wrs in it even if that means you take out your top wr. or a personnel group where cjf is split out like a wr. since our formations and motions dont give a lot of match up problems lets use our personnel in different ways. we have a gronkowski type te. use him like such.

Good post! Improvement in 'gameday play calling' is what I'm primarily looking for.

=

I don't understand why people can't see this. whoever the new guy coming in is given KOK's exact playbook, he will call plays differently.

Than add in the sutle changes of adding other plays, formations, personnel groupings, route combos all of those don't take much extra time to teach.

Will it be a noticeable difference? not for the causal football fan or many on this board. But most Iowa fans will see a change in situational plays for sure.

Quite frankly I don't have a problem with this. It isn't the offense itself that is problematic. People that criticize personnel groupings, formations and any number of other factors are being disingenuous about the fact that this is the same damn offense we ran in the early 2000's.

People that think new playbooks or formations will mask the underlying problems are delusional.

New offensive twists don't mask recruiting problems and player development issues.

If we hire someone that can coach a 2 minute drill, clock management and understands on 3rd and 4 that routes need to be at least 4 + yards, we will be in better shape than we were. Hopefully KF has accepted that the only stats that really matter are how many points you give up and how many score.

Latest posts