Will the Big 1G Look South?

DJL

Saw some speculation today that if the dominoes start falling, the Big 1G may look to the ACC for expansion. Some feel A&M and Florida State will go to the SEC, Big 1G gets a couple of teams from the ACC, and then ACC raids the Big East, Pac 12 gets a couple of Big 12 teams, and the Big East gets the rest. A couple of teams will probably be left out in the cold.

Other groups feel the Big 1G will never expand without ND or Texas

I don't think Texas would come to the B10 because the BTN would not like to compete against the Texas network, and they wouldn't be able to work out a deal I would think.

I think we can add Maryland and get a great basketball program as well as the Baltimore D.C tv market. Maybe add Virginia for academics and UNC for basketball and academics.

Saw some speculation today that if the dominoes start falling, the Big 1G may look to the ACC for expansion. Some feel A&M and Florida State will go to the SEC, Big 1G gets a couple of teams from the ACC, and then ACC raids the Big East, Pac 12 gets a couple of Big 12 teams, and the Big East gets the rest. A couple of teams will probably be left out in the cold.

Other groups feel the Big 1G will never expand without ND or Texas

The reports about FSU and the SEC are probably coming from FSU. They badly want in the SEC and have for 50+ years, but I can't see it. The SEC wants a unanimous vote from current university presidents before they let another school in. You think Florida's president is going to sign off on FSU? Doubtful.

For a history on FSU wanting in the SEC, see this interesting collection:

FSU and the SEC

I think we can add Maryland and get a great basketball program as well as the Baltimore D.C tv market. Maybe add Virginia for academics and UNC for basketball and academics.

You'd have a better shot at winning the lottery before Carolina and Duke go their seperate ways.

You'd have a better shot at winning the lottery before Carolina and Duke go their seperate ways.

I don't think they will, but i thik they make sense if you fill in the PA to MD to NC gap. I agree the 4 NC schools will never breakup, but what if the Big East steals BC back, or Miami and or FSU head to the SEC?

There are two options:
Texas &/or ND
That's it folks.
That's the list.

If you understand the financial implications, and understand that no current member of the B1G is going to take LESS money to add a university, the options are quite obvious.

No chance at Texas. Zero. Stupid to even consider. Big Ten would NEVER allow Texas with their own network and all the baggage they bring.

Notre Dame is obvious.

I would love to see Oklahoma be considered if things really get crazy. But to be honest, I don't want the B1G to expand. I like the 12 we got.

No chance at Texas. Zero. Stupid to even consider. Big Ten would NEVER allow Texas with their own network and all the baggage they bring.

Notre Dame is obvious.

I would love to see Oklahoma be considered if things really get crazy. But to be honest, I don't want the B1G to expand. I like the 12 we got.

I'm not saying this is "my list".
It is however THE list.

How many people here realize that you could add the entire population of New York City & Philadelphia into the BTN at "in region" subscriber rates and yet if only 1 school were added to the B1G, all current members take a sizeable pay cut?

Or how about this one...how many people realize that in order to keep the status quo for current members, any new member of the B1G would need to generate $288M/yr in TV revenue?

The only way adding ANYONE pays off is if it allows the BTN to go NATIONAL.
There are exactly two schools that would provide that benefit...
ND & Texas

if the big ten decided to expand they would look first at:

1. ND national tv coverage
2.Rutgers or UCONN new york cable companies
3. Boston College, huge tv market
4. Maryland, huge washington dc and baltimore tv markets
5. Mo. st. louis market
6. pittsburg, another market

if the big ten follows the other conferences it will expand for tv markets and big time paybacks

SEC would love to get into texas, recruit and tv market, if they select A&M then I think they raid florida for FSU, Clemsen, and Virginia TEch, wow! talk about a super football conference, maybe Georgia Tech for the Atlanta TV area, wonder what Vandy fans are thinking?

I hope Texas, Notre Dame, and BYU go independent they deserve each other, feel bad for their other sports, would be a night mare to schedule, plus travel.

No way on Texas.

Not saying I want Texas, I don't.
But the numbers are the numbers, Jon.

The only way adding ANYONE from here out is if it allows the BTN to go NATIONAL, allowing it to garner near triple subscriber rates from coast to coast just like ESPN does. We all pay it, most of us just don't realize we're paying $2+/mth for it.

I'm not trying to be the know all guy here, but once I truly understood the financial impacts it was bright red glowingly clear what the options were.

If Rutburghcuse, Uconn, etc. did anything they would have been added.

No current member is allowing a school to be added so that they would then make less money.

Latest posts