Will May Ever Develop That "Attack" Mentality?

SheagleHawk

Again he amazes me with his tentativeness. That turnover with about 5mins left in the half was absolutely terrible and mind-boggling. He took a skip pass in the corner with NW in a zone, passed on the wide open 3 with the usual unneccesary head fake, drove to about 10ft from the basket for another open look and then makes an errant pass to the top of the arc where it's picked off. Thoughts?

He seemed to be in attack mode when he posterized half the Big Ten earlier this season and last. It's a funk. He'll snap out of it.

Yeah he attacks off the break for half court oops, but I meant taking on more of a scoring mentality and not passing up great looks b/c you've missed a couple of shots earlier in the game. This team desperately needs to share the load as no one is a superstar and put the team on their back.

If he does get more aggressive, he will be the best on the team...

ummmm...... sorry NO

He can't dribble well enough to ever be the "Best" on the team.

He is timid because he is not a good ball handler so he doesn't want to get into a situation where he is trying to force things.

He seemed to be in attack mode when he posterized half the Big Ten earlier this season and last. It's a funk. He'll snap out of it.

Dunking on run out fast breaks is not exactly posterizing half the big ten. May is a tremendous athlete, but a very average basketball player. The dude has hops, but that's about it. I don't question his heart or desire to win, he just isn't a starter in the big ten and is being exposed for having lots of holes in his game. Much like Archie, May is athletically gifted, he just doesn't have a very well rounded game and can't take big ten defenders off the bounce, thus his reluctance to attack.

I am getting so tired of the announcers featuring May at the begiinning of games. The same old "the hawkeyes win when May plays well". Well we do't have a lot of wins to begin with and you could find more justification in our wins based on the barometric pressure that day.

The bottom line for Mays game to me is, NO SHAKE, NO BAKE! He couldn't dribble through a team of mannequins. I will still jump off my coach when he slams one home but he has a lot to learn about scoring besides breakaway dunks.

Confidence is a huge deal in b-ball. You cannot hide b/c the ball will find you, it seems. He has to continue working, believe in himself, and I hope there will be a break-out game at some point. I would like for him to just shoot 10-15 times in one game to see if he can get a feel. He is sooo unsure of himself right now, so just don't think and let it fly. If anything, I think the coaching staff's frustrations are with his timidity.

May is a robot. He is a powerful athlete, but not very fluid athlete. His offensive skills are lacking. He cannot change directions with his dribble, his body control seems to be lacking, and he has poor touch around the basket.

His "mentality" is largely a product of his skill-set. He can't beat people off the dribble, and he is not pure shooter and has a slow release on set shots.

May is a robot. He is a powerful athlete, but not very fluid athlete. His offensive skills are lacking. He cannot change directions with his dribble, his body control seems to be lacking, and he has poor touch around the basket.

His "mentality" is largely a product of his skill-set. He can't beat people off the dribble, and he is not pure shooter and has a slow release on set shots.

This. I keep hearing how he's such a great athlete. Great athletes can change direction. He's an explosive leaper and probably a fast straight line runner but not an "athlete" when you get to the Big 10.

This. I keep hearing how he's such a great athlete. Great athletes can change direction. He's an explosive leaper and probably a fast straight line runner but not an "athlete" when you get to the Big 10.

I don't think so. His inability to change direction isn't a lack of athleticism, but rather a lack of ball handling ability.

May can't dribble left......and May is normally on the right side of the court when he gets the ball, thus he either dribbles baseline, or tries to dribble left which doesn't work. When he attacks the hoop, it's almost always after dribbling right. Hopefully Coach ties his right hand behind his back this off-season.

Again he amazes me with his tentativeness. That turnover with about 5mins left in the half was absolutely terrible and mind-boggling. He took a skip pass in the corner with NW in a zone, passed on the wide open 3 with the usual unneccesary head fake, drove to about 10ft from the basket for another open look and then makes an errant pass to the top of the arc where it's picked off. Thoughts?

I thought he'd be a 12-15 point per night player this year. His game hasn't progressed like I thought it would. I agree with those who point out his lack of ball handling ability and inability to use his left hand are probably big reasons for his lack of progression. There's still time left for him to get better while he's at Iowa, but he's going to need to work on it. He's a liability out there on offense right now.

I was really disapointed he did not take that open three pointer that Zach set him up for. He is our best three point shooter at 45%,and his first one was in and out...and he seemed to fold his tent on shooting after that...cannot happen. We need him to shoot threes,period.
Like most of our players,he has flaws,but he also has strengths. Fran will find a way to max out his strengths and minimize his flaws. He can be valuable,as an above average defender and with some polishing of his offensive skills,maybe off the bench,but Kramer of PU was that guy and he was very valuable.

Latest posts