Will Kirk "let it happen"

Maybe this example will illustrate better what I am trying to say.

I hire many companies to do work for my business. I also hire my brother and his company to do work for me. When I hire him, I simple tell him to get X, Y, and Z done. I don't worry about him, I don't check up on him, I don't micromanage him. I hire lots of other companies as well, and I give them a scope of work, I check in on them frequently, I do micromanage them in both the way they are doing the job, and obviously the quality of the job. I am very hands on with these other companies. I have worked with some companies for 17 years now, but I will never innately trust them like I do my brother.

I could easily imagine the same being the case for working with my son when he is old enough. I think KF is very specific in the way he wants his offense run with a KOK or GD. As he says, he "hangs around" the offense during the week and I do think he micromanages the offensive side of the ball. If Brian is in charge I just don't see KF doing the same things to Brian that he did to KOK and GD. Posters can say all they want that KF is just always going to be like that, but all I can say is it is different with family. I am very much a micromanager of everything around me, EXCEPT for my brother. If my brother does something different that I want to see, I don't care, as long as the job gets done, and I trust him.......others around me don't get that "leeway".

Is your brother qualified to do the job? He sounds like he is. What has Clueless Junior done to be qualified to be the OC? Nothing.

Is your brother qualified to do the job? He sounds like he is. What has Clueless Junior done to be qualified to be the OC? Nothing.

When he first started working for me, no he wasn't qualified, I taught him on the job. As he learned he formed his own way of doing things that was different than me, and different than I taught him. He then worked his was to owning a business that I hire.

What do you think Brian has been doing both at New England and Iowa for the last few years? Why isn't Brian qualified? Bill O'Brien felt he was qualified enough to be an NFL coach. You are really stretching if you think he isn't qualified. Do you think Scott Frost was qualified to become OC at Oregon? I mean he was "just" a WR coach before getting the OC nod at Oregon.

We do know that any other OC won't have any latitude that is for sure. It is just a guy feeling I have about Brian getting more leeway. Here is why:

-Kirk knows that this would be Brian trying to make his "bones" and a #72 ranked offense won't impress anyone on a resume
-Family members generally have more leeway than outsides, as the dad will trust the son more than non family
-Brian doesn't strike me as a "yes man"

Nothing scientific, no proof to anything, just a gut feel as someone who has worked with his brother for nearly 20 years now. It is just different. While you are tougher on your family, you also give them more responsibility and leeway.

So all of a sudden KF is going to just hand the keys over to his inexperienced son and say here you go. That is not happening.

Think about that for a second and I did, so I'm not buying it.

So all of a sudden KF is going to just hand the keys over to his inexperienced son and say here you go. That is not happening.

Think about that for a second and I did, so I'm not buying it.

If kfootball still isn't feeling any real heat from Barta/boosters, then kfootball is perfectly capable of doing what Dean described. It may be his master plan, but I don't think 2015 is the season to do it, if it is.

There's no doubt it's Clueless' master plan to get Clueless jr. in as OC. That is the reason he hired Davis and brought clueless jr. on board. Davis is gonna be retiring, then promote jr. to OC. Well that might be tough right now since we're so bad, but Clueless doesn't care, he'll probably try anyway.

There's no doubt it's Clueless' master plan to get Clueless jr. in as OC. That is the reason he hired Davis and brought clueless jr. on board. Davis is gonna be retiring, then promote jr. to OC. Well that might be tough right now since we're so bad, but Clueless doesn't care, he'll probably try anyway.

if kfootball does pull the trigger on BF to OC for 2015, then I think he has severely misjudged his lack of goodwill with the fan base. But, you and Dean could be right and it happens after the bowl game. I just think the timing would be better to do it after 2015. Having said that, I am not in favor of BF's first OC job being at Iowa. I would consider not watching games on principle, alone.

He is so out of touch with what is going on that I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him attempt this. This will be be clueless' way of showing the fan base the big middle finger again, but he will say "Hey look, I'm making changes."

Dean, is it because our line played so well under BF? When your bro was getting his wheels under him, was he wobbly during his buildup...and then just flourished once at the helm?

This is not to say I disagree with you...as it has to be better than what we've seen under the current scenario... any change would be good change, and if it did truly flop, well, that would be 1 year closer to the EOC (end of contract) or more reason for dismissal.

Outside of 2008, our line play has been horrible. When was last time our line could handle a blitz? We were lucky with Stanzi as he made plays. So part of it is on having QB that has moxie. JVB and JR do not.

Its a scheme problem and ability. Teams know what we're doing, and we don't have the talent to overcome it. I like Brandon but did he really have that great of a year? How much was that his injury and how much is it he's really better suited as a gaurd?

KF can't even do the easy things that would make the O better like playing the QB that is obviously better.

I have no hope for him.

I have said it before, and I will say it again.......

The only chance anything changes at all on the offensive side of the ball for the Hawks is if Brian become the OC. If KF hires from the outside again, he will just bring in a guy to run his offense. If he hires Brian, Brian will get wayyyyy more leeway to do what he wants to do.

Worst case scenario is Brian leaves for an NFL position or any position anywhere actually. I think that would just scream that both Kirk and Brian think this is a sinking ship. Brian would be bailing, and Kirk wants his son out so the crash and burn doesn't blemish his sons coaching trajectory.....

I've wondered about posters saying this all season. Before GD, how many "bubble" (jail-break, whatever) screens did Iowa run? How many jet sweeps? How about the lack of crossing routes over the middle? Or the lack of tight end routes in the seam? To say the offense hasn't changed is just not true. I'm not saying it's changed for the better, but it's changed.

Last edited:
I've wondered about posters saying this all season. Before GD, how many "bubble" (jail-break, whatever) screens did Iowa run? How many jet sweeps? How about the lack of crossing routes over the middle? Or the lack of tight end routes in the seam? To say the offense hasn't changed is just not true. I'm not saying it's changed for the better, but it's changed.

The question has never been, "Will the offense present new wrinkles from time to time?"

The question has always been, "Will it always be risk averse and leave points on the field?"

The answer is "yes". The idea that the son will dictate changes to the father is comical. It's the type of straws the apologists cling to while praying for another extension. They are more invested in an individual than the University and its athletic programs. We have all seen this before with Alford.

Dean, is it because our line played so well under BF? When your bro was getting his wheels under him, was he wobbly during his buildup...and then just flourished once at the helm?

Outside of 2008, our line play has been horrible. When was last time our line could handle a blitz? We were lucky with Stanzi as he made plays. So part of it is on having QB that has moxie. JVB and JR do not.

Its a scheme problem and ability. Teams know what we're doing, and we don't have the talent to overcome it. I like Brandon but did he really have that great of a year? How much was that his injury and how much is it he's really better suited as a gaurd?

You could also say that Brain took a 3* OL coming off a season ending injury and turned him into an Outland trophy winner. DBA if you think Brandon didn't have a good year, you simply don't know football. The same week he had knee surgery he still played, and still won the Outland. What more do you want out of a guy??

I think most intelligent posters understand that the last 3 years has been a RB problem at Iowa, not that the lines weren't good enough. Abdulah, Gordon, Coleman would have had just as good of years running behind Iowa's line. We stink at the RB position, and it is a crime that KF hasn't recruited over a FB in Weisman......but that isn't the OL's fault.