Will JVB get drafted?

Will JVB be the second consecutive Iowa QB to be drafted?

• Yes

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • No

Votes: 38 74.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I want say yes but my answer is no. He has the arm strength and above average accuracy but his read recognition needs to improve dramatically. He will also need to harness a better pocket presence which he lacks at times on 3rd downs.

As things now stand, no. But if he can put it all together and become a complete qb next year, maybe.

He's no Stanzi, but I think he will get drafted on his strong arm and playing in a pro style offense. He may actually go higher in the draft because of scouting and their love affair with a strong arm. (Jemarcus Russell) He is inaccurate, poor pocket presence, locks onto receivers, and has way too long a throwing motion to make it at the next level IMO but in saying all that he will get drafted.

Based off of this year - no chance

When you are inaccurate and panic under pressure - this does not work in the pros unless u r tebow

With McNutt gone and a shaky O-line I dont see him making the leap

He has a strong arm but his delivery is pretty slow...I vote no

If JVB gets drafted, I will resign from the Hawkeye Nation, but not before putting a poll out to the masses of what my new handle will be:

Jon Bon Jovi or John Cougar Mellancamp.

Yes.

Physical tools, good stats, A 6'3 205+ lbs. frame gets drafted.

A good combine, good pro day he will get drafted, absolutely.

Not a chance. Composure isn't there when he is under pressure. That's something that is nearly impossible to teach or acquire. You either have it or you don't.

Drew Tate is a good example of a kid who naturally had it.

Yes.

Physical tools, good stats, A 6'3 205+ lbs. frame gets drafted.

A good combine, good pro day he will get drafted, absolutely.

How does stats and physical attributes but inability to deliver accurate throws especially under real or perceived pressure make him draft worthy?

Last time I checked NFL teams do not throw away draft picks

He has to show a lot next year..... We have only had 1 drafted QB in 20 years - the Manzi

I disagree with the arm strength claims. The kid has a huge wind-up, which makes for a slow release. Those aren't hallmarks of a "big arm" qb. The guys with the guns (farve comes to mind) don't have that time-consuming wind-up that JVB has. Yes, he can manufacture good velocity, but he does not have a naturally powerful throwing arm.

How does stats and physical attributes but inability to deliver accurate throws especially under real or perceived pressure make him draft worthy?

Last time I checked NFL teams do not throw away draft picks

He has to show a lot next year..... We have only had 1 drafted QB in 20 years - the Manzi

My goodness take the emotion out of it. A team will take at look at his upside and give a chance and feel they can work with him.

People are acting like he can't have a good pro day, a good combine. Have you seen the QB play in the NFL? Barring injury, his attributes, what he does well, running a pro style offense in a major conference gets you drafted.

I disagree with the arm strength claims. The kid has a huge wind-up, which makes for a slow release. Those aren't hallmarks of a "big arm" qb. The guys with the guns (farve comes to mind) don't have that time-consuming wind-up that JVB has. Yes, he can manufacture good velocity, but he does not have a naturally powerful throwing arm.

C'mon, Vint it is not a Tebow, Byron Leftwich type wind-up.

C'mon, Vint it is not a Tebow, Byron Leftwich type wind-up.

No, and it ain't a ridiculous sidearm like Philly Rivers, but my point is that vandy can't "flick" a strong throw like most of the successful nfl qbs. I mean, look at your boy Big Ben - dude can rumble out of the pocket and launch a cross-body strike.
Cam Newton has a big arm; Vandenberg, not so much.
I don't think he will be drafted. Signed as a FA maybe, but not drafted.

No, and it ain't a ridiculous sidearm like Philly Rivers, but my point is that vandy can't "flick" a strong throw like most of the successful nfl qbs. I mean, look at your boy Big Ben - dude can rumble out of the pocket and launch a cross-body strike.
Cam Newton has a big arm; Vandenberg, not so much.
I don't think he will be drafted. Signed as a FA maybe, but not drafted.

I agree...his delivery needs a lot of work

Yes and higher than Stanzi as well. It is easy to pick apart JVB for the things that went wrong this season. He has three things to improve- poise, anticipation and pocket presence. He has shown since his very first action against Northwestern solid decision making skills, his arm strength is way above average, and his delivery is not nearly as long as some people think. No one complained about his delivery until Matt Millen said something about it.

Matt Millen. Seriously Matt Millen. You know Matt Millen obviously has an eye for QB talent. This is garbage and I laugh every time some of you parrot this idiot.

JVB has one year of experience, has the physical ability to grow and faces one of the easiest schedules an Iowa QB has faced in many seasons. Do I think he is someone that will be drafted and expect to play immediately, no he has legit issues and I don't have the confidence that he will receive the coaching at Iowa to drastically improve. But take a deep breath, compare his tape to Stanzi's junior year and realize that if he makes 50% of the leap that Stanzi did from his junior year to his senior year with one less year of experience he will be drafted in the third round.

Latest posts