Will Iowa go after current PSU Players?

WindyCityHawkI

There is about nothing Iowa could use more than a solid DT that wants to leave Penn St ( a fast slot WR wouldn't hurt either). They would be eligible immediately. I fear Kirk will tell his staff not to contact anyone out of his respect for PSU and JoePa. While I could understand that, I certainly hope it isn't the case. You better believe Urban Meyer, Brady Hoke, and Bielema have probably already talked to every player on their roster, so I really hope our assistants are on the phones right now. What are everyone else's thoughts?

There are some thoughts scattered about the various threads. Malik Golden is a name to keep an eye on, he's a freshman (maybe redshirt) that was down to I think PSU, Uconn and Iowa.

Highly doubt we get any of the big name upper classman. But here's a list of their top guys:

Silas Redd [Junior - Running Back] Redd is one of the top returning tailbacks in the Big Ten, with a combination of power and speed. He was at full healthy for a five-game stretch in October last year, and led the country with 720 yards over that span.

Gerald Hodges [Senior - Linebacker] Hodges decided to return for his senior season after a first-team All-Big Ten season last year. He had 106 tackles and 10 tackles for loss last year. Potential high round draft pick in 2013.

Jordan Hill [Senior - Defensive Tackle] Devon Still overshadowed him last season, but he’s a talented and experienced 300-pound defensive tackle. He can play both line positions in a 4-3. He had 59 tackles and eight tackles for loss last year. USC? Michigan? He would have suitors.

Michael Mauti [Senior - Linebacker] Talented, hard-working and makes an impact when he sees the field. The trouble has been staying on the field. He’s had torn ACLs in both knees during his Penn State career, though he’s expected to be healthy next season. Definitely worth a shot for a one-year college commitment.

Anthony Fera [Senior - Kicker/Punter] Problems on Special Teams? Fera was a Groza-award semifinalist as a place-kicker. He was second-team All-Big Ten as a punter. He also does kickoffs.

It is a waste of time, most of the players and fans will rally around their team. I doubt few players will leave and the ones that will probably benefit from being able to transfer and play somewhere else.

We wont get anyone, I just dont see KF being that type of guy. Hoke, beilema, and meyer, will go after them hard and whatever the costs. KF will use a soft approach thatll fail.

There are some thoughts scattered about the various threads. Malik Golden is a name to keep an eye on, he's a freshman (maybe redshirt) that was down to I think PSU, Uconn and Iowa.

Highly doubt we get any of the big name upper classman. But here's a list of their top guys:

I see Golden was on twitter stating that "Penn State still has the best fans #truth." Doesn't mean he won't leave, but he sure doesn't sound like he's running for the door yet.

I don't think we go after any starters, I could see us touching base with Golden or Lynch. Even if we went after some starters, we couldn't get them anyway. We seldom win recruiting battles against the power house programs which will be after them. It'd be nice to snag a DT but I am not banking on it.

There is about nothing Iowa could use more than a solid DT that wants to leave Penn St ( a fast slot WR wouldn't hurt either). They would be eligible immediately. I fear Kirk will tell his staff not to contact anyone out of his respect for PSU and JoePa. While I could understand that, I certainly hope it isn't the case. You better believe Urban Meyer, Brady Hoke, and Bielema have probably already talked to every player on their roster, so I really hope our assistants are on the phones right now. What are everyone else's thoughts?

My thoughts exactly too. Ferentz isn't a poacher.

I'd add to this that it would be hard to imagine these kids transferring to intra-conference school that plays against PSU and if they did I'd imagine it would be to the upper level teams - Wisconsin, Nebraska, MSU, Michigan and OSU that will actually compete for championships. My guess is the SEC and Big 12 take advantage.

Not sure if this has been answered or not, but are all Penn State players fair game for coaches to call, or does the player still have to make the first contact with schools?

If the player has to make first contact, Iowa will absolutely listen to any player that calls. Why wouldn't they? That wouldn't be poaching players at all. It'd be giving the kid an opportunity to compete for a Big Ten championship and play in a couple of bowl games.

Sorry, but I am of the mindset that if you sit back and watch your competitors take advantage of a situation while you take a hands off approach at the same time your team has an entire unit that needs to be upgraded and you get beat by these other teams, you may deserve to lose your job.

I'm sure MANY teams will be contacting PSU and it's players. Couldn't tell you who will go where but you have to believe that both short and long term the Pitt Panthers are sitting pretty good.

I'm sure MANY teams will be contacting PSU and it's players. Couldn't tell you who will go where but you have to believe that both short and long term the Pitt Panthers are sitting pretty good.

I'm not sure I'd make that connection, other than the in-state guys. If IOWA were hit by such sanctions, I doubt you'd see a lot of our top players end up at ISU.

I'm not sure I'd make that connection, other than the in-state guys. If IOWA were hit by such sanctions, I doubt you'd see a lot of our top players end up at ISU.

I see your point but if Pitt were to 'put things together' over the next few years, they will probably be considered the college football power in Pennsylvania which could snowball and provide a lot of momentum for their program. But who knows how this will all play out?

Latest posts