Will Iowa be the most overrated 7-1 team?

Talking about being 7-1 seems a little premature right now. I hope we get there, but, seriously, we have beat 3 really crappy teams and lost to a team that might not get to a bowl. 3 of the 4 teams that we are getting ready to play are probably better than any team we have played so far (not sure about ISU yet - we'll see over the next couple of weeks).

I like the fact that we have opened up our offense some. Hopefully, they will be able to keep us in the game. But our defense is simply flat-out bad. It is getting a little better, but there is a BIG jump in talent on the teams that we have yet to play. Let's see what happens over the next few weeks...

It's not like we'd be in the National Title picture so it wouldn't really matter.

if we run the table, big if, but if we run the table and beat a 0 loss/ 1 loss Wisconsin team in the B1G Championship game, we will assuredly be in the conversation. especially if ISU can manage 8 wins, that would be our only loss- and it wouldn't look bad.

if if & buts were candy & nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas!

QFT!! As will Denard and maybe even Gray (depending on how Kill turns out over the course of the season).

Until Morris and Miller can contain the middle of the field and Nielsen can set an edge and wrap up his tackles those teams with quick / mobile QB's who love the shifty RB release valve will abuse the underneath of this defense. (ULM made Nielsen look silly all day and had Morris' head spinning -- suPer-sa and shoelaces are salivating.)

As of today, this defense, against B1G talent with any spread tendencies, will not sniff 7-1.

Neilson has not been up to snuff since he twisted his ankle against ISU. I hope the two weeks off give him a chance to get healed up. I also hope it gives the next guy in a lot of practice reps with the first team, just in case.

Neilson has not been up to snuff since he twisted his ankle against ISU. I hope the two weeks off give him a chance to get healed up. I also hope it gives the next guy in a lot of practice reps with the first team, just in case.

Spot on CAAR. This schedule could not set up any better with regards to when the bye comes. I also love playing Penn State to open our B1G slate.

We will be 7-1 when Michigan comes rolling into town on November 5th.

I think that the good news is that apart from PSU, whose style is much more like ours ... the first 4 offenses we've seen this year are not all that dissimilar to those that we'll be seeing against Northwestern, Indiana, and Minnesota. When you add to the fact that the D will likely only continue to improve ... it suggests that our D could end up having more luck when facing off against the trio of spread teams that we face in our next 4 games.

While the Penn State game is definitely "winnable" ... I'm still of the opinion that after we complete our 8th game ... I anticipate that we'll have a record of 6-2.

I also see us continuing to improve as we close out the season ... and I think that we have a great shot to split our last 4 games. More than ever, I'm thinking that an 8-4 season is the most likely scenario.

Of course, if the DL can continue to make strides ... and with the possible return of Lowery ... and the if the LBs can remain healthy and improve ... I think that it's a legitimate possibility that the Hawks could even finish BETTER than 8-4.

Persa's going to hang 500 yards on us
Exactly, even given the fact that Persa won't be as mobile as he was last year (and probably never will be after that achilles injury). My grandma could scramble and convert a 3rd & 20 against the Hawks.

Originally Posted by bwsmoney

Well...he hasn't played a down yet. A 100% healthy Persa would get plenty of yards against us, Persa @ 75% will get eaten alive by Iowa.

IMO nothing is certain. I think the hawks have played 5 solid qtrs this season. Thats hardly enough to toss out 7-1. One game at a time..
this is my point as well..

You also could factor in that ISU has the potential to go 4-0 with a win over Texas...

If we are 7-1 after 8 games we deserve what ever ranking we get? That would mean we are actually pretty good.

Despite looking bad in 1 1/2 games this season; if the defense just improves every week here on out and we see improved tight end play and find a solid 2nd option at RB we are indeed going to be pretty darn good.

I think all this is very possible. The defense is already starting to show the necessary improvement. CJ and Derby are now becoming a factor at TE. I really like what I saw out of Jordon Canzeri as a 2nd option to Coker.

No, because we won't be 7-1. Our defense will make PSU's offense look decent to good.

No they will not. PSU doesnt have a QB and their OL is very shaky. We win in Happy Valley by 10+. This game does not scare me much any year and especially so this year.

Originally Posted by bwsmoney

Well...he hasn't played a down yet. A 100% healthy Persa would get plenty of yards against us, Persa @ 75% will get eaten alive by Iowa.

I hope it works out that way, and that NW has a terrible evening in IC.

depends on where we are ranked. 7-1 doesn't always mean top 15 or even top 20 (though not in the top 20 is unlikely at 7-1). Also if we were the lowest rated 7-1 team could we possibly be the most overrated 7-1 team?

The interesting question is if ISU can keep winning and also be 7-1 who would be rated higher? They will have played the far more difficult schedule up to that point with having played 4 Texas schools and Mizzu. I ask this because pollster can be swayed by "names" and numbers.