Wiegers

oregonhawkeye

This may sound like heresy but I think the logic is sound:

Iowa should start playing Wiegers. The odds of Iowa beating OSU in the B1G title game with a hobbled CJB are miniscule. But we can win the next four with game management/defense/running game and meanwhile find out whether Tyler has game.

And of course would allow CJ to heal some for the bowl season. If he has a "sports hernia" then 6-8 weeks of rest could make a huge difference.

Are you going to sit him for the Big Ten Championship as well? That's 5 weeks away.

At 8-0 you can't just sit your starting QB for the last 4 games of the season.

it is weird how 2 of Iowa's most succesful seasons, 2009 and 2015, involve a long time QB starter that gets beat out for the starting job by his backup, and ends up transfering.

then Iowa goes on an undefeated run with the new starter, only for him to get hurt, where in theory Iowa could have used the backup senior QB with all that experience to help keep the undefeated run going, but instead is left with a redshirt freshman as the potential fill-in QB until the starter gets healthy.

But you have to wonder if the senior QB would have stuck around as the backup, instead of transfering, would the team still have the same chemistry that helped it go on its win streak in the first place.

Would things be better or worse right now if Rudock stuck around as the backup QB?

Last edited:
All things being equal negligible. How much has Wiegers played this season? 10 minutes? IMHO not enough time for Rudock to have much of an effect, positive or negative.

Wiegers needs more play time but CJ shouldn't be pulled and should continue to start. New Kirk needs to put old Kirk down and pull CJ if things are in hand - that is the Defense is playing well, have a two or three possession lead, winning field position and the game is winding down. I really thought there was no reason for CJ to be in the game Saturday late in the 4th Qtr. Pretty Risky - think ARob in 2010.

All things being equal negligible. How much has Wiegers played this season? 10 minutes? IMHO not enough time for Rudock to have much of an effect, positive or negative.

Yes, but I have a feeling Rudock would have started the NW game this year if he was still around and CJ was still hurt.

When the opponent loads the box have CJ throw quick slants, 15-20 yard short post patterns like the one to T Smith against Maryland, the quick bubble screen type plays, regular screen passes, a shovel pass, quick passes to tight ends up the hashes. These passes can be done from both under center and shotgun.

When they dont load the box then run it down their throats.

Wiegers needs more play time but CJ shouldn't be pulled and should continue to start. New Kirk needs to put old Kirk down and pull CJ if things are in hand - that is the Defense is playing well, have a two or three possession lead, winning field position and the game is winding down. I really thought there was no reason for CJ to be in the game Saturday late in the 4th Qtr. Pretty Risky - think ARob in 2010.
IMO, If Iowa's offense isn't doing well, Iowa's defense won't either especially when the opponent has potency in space. Iowa won't, for example, be able to rest CJ in the Indiana game unless there's an injury.

Pull out starting qb, who has been THE most important element in this turnaround, as we go for one of the best seasons in the schools history, to set him on the bench, because we won't win the big ten championship game???? Really??? Wow. Shaking head. And we allow you to vote and procreate.

You seriously want to sit CJB, hurt or not, in the stretch run of an undefeated season for a freshmen who has played very little? These upcoming games are not automatic wins regardless of who's taking the snaps. I am also guessing CJB doesn't want to sit either. This is his team and unless he can't move at all he will be out there.

Not a chance, CJB at 50% is still our best option. Just having his game management skills in the game without any mobility is worth it. Wiegers only on mop up duty, and hopefully that comes early against the goofers and Purdue.

Not to mention he's our leader, with balls the size of King Kong. 8-0 with a chance at a dream season, we're not taking our foot of the gas, for what if reasons and fear of unknowns. We are flooring that sumbich and going for a once in a lifetime chance of greatness. Benching our qb....

9 and 0 as a starter. There are reasons beyond just his athletic ability why he is 9-0 as a starter.

He plays unless he physically can't. He's earned it.

Iowa should start playing Wiegers. The odds of Iowa beating OSU in the B1G title game with a hobbled CJB are miniscule. But we can win the next four with game management/defense/running game and meanwhile find out whether Tyler has game.

And of course would allow CJ to heal some for the bowl season. If he has a "sports hernia" then 6-8 weeks of rest could make a huge difference.

No way, but I do think Wiegers looks like he can handle himself. It's definitely not Stanzi getting hurt level of meltdown in my opinion.

And I thought my idea about buying commercial time with ESPN showing Iowa football to stick it to them was a bad idea. This trumps that. You don't muck up a VERY special season. You take a chance & go with it hoping this nagging injury can slowly get better. They all know his limits. There is more to the QB position than just throwing & running.

Why would you jeopardize a truly special season when the team is still undeafeated with winable games coming up. Boy.

If Rudock was still here, a bunch of you would have been ******** that our healthy backup is on the bench while our injured starter is struggling in games.

No, no it's not....

Not a shot a Wiegers, as I think he'll be a good QB down the road, but what have we seen from him in game situation that says he could get us through the next 4 weeks. Nothing against the kid, but all I've seen from him or any other QB in mop up duty is the ability to hand the ball off.

Here's just one HUGE reason why CJB is the guy:

Canzeri's 75 yard run was an audible called by CJ at the line based upon his read of the defense. I don't think a RS freshman has the knowledge of the playbook and the grasp of the field to assess a defense like that and call the right play. Comes with experience and time, both of which Wiegers has relatively little of.