Why were we so Conservative in that 2nd half?

I'm not at all surprised with how conservative, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating. I'm not wanting us to run up the score or anything. But I don't want to see us lay off the gas until we're up by three TD's. It's true that Penn State hadn't put up any kind of threat outside of the one drive. But, being up two TD's always makes me nervous if we're just trying to sit on it for two quarters. If I remember correctly, our offense hadn't really threatened much at Penn State last year, then we make a break for ourselves, and the rest is history. I don't want to let teams hang around so that one break gets them back into the game. If PSU gets a pick 6, or a kickoff return TD, etc., who knows how they might react? It might end up being a fluke, but it could also spark them. If you're up three TD's, that one break still leaves you up by 14.

amen

I really do wonder sometimes if there really are people that would complain if they were hung with a new rope.

We were so conservative because we Penn State wasn't going to score on us and Kirk knew it. Why take a risk when you don't have too?

I think a lot of it comes down to our horrible field position. I haven't checked our average starting yardage in the second half, but it always seemed we were pinned within our own 10-15 yard line (if not less). Regardless, we were in control of the game before we hit the half so there really wasn't a need to play aggressive.

Don't get me wrong, I love scoring points just as much as the next guy but tonight it wasn't needed. Alabama only scored 24 on them as well :p .

Call me crazy, but I'm pretty confident that Kirk Ferentz knows the smartest way to hold on to a 17-3 lead when you have one of the best defenses in the nation. I guess the really "smart" people on the board know better...you know...the ones that want Ken O'Keefe fired every time the Hawks score less than 30 points.

That's my thing. I usually hate conservative play calling (I think it cost us vs OSU last year) but everyone knew their was no way in hell PSU was going to do anything against us. You might as well not risk it with a couple of score lead and let the defense do it's thing. If PSU had scored a TD we wouldn't have played so conservatively but they moved the ball 7 minutes to start the half and had nothing to show for it. We knew they weren't doing anything else against us.

Call me crazy, but I'm pretty confident that Kirk Ferentz knows the smartest way to hold on to a 17-3 lead when you have one of the best defenses in the nation. I guess the really "smart" people on the board know better...you know...the ones that want Ken O'Keefe fired every time the Hawks score less than 30 points.

Shouldn't you be on your own board enjoying your last win of the year?

We were so conservative because we Penn State wasn't going to score on us and Kirk knew it. Why take a risk when you don't have too?

I wonder how many PSU fans thought the same thing last year before Clayborn blocked the punt? I'm guessing it was a lot. You NEVER know when a play like that is going to happen. PSU just missed a couple deep balls, too. When you're sitting on a 14-point lead, it only takes 1 big play to make it a ball game again.

I wonder how many PSU fans thought the same thing last year before Clayborn blocked the punt? I'm guessing it was a lot. You NEVER know when a play like that is going to happen. PSU just missed a couple deep balls, too. When you're sitting on a 14-point lead, it only takes 1 big play to make it a ball game again.

I agree but that big play may very well happen by throwing the ball to Penn
State (if you remember Penn State kind of has a niche for that sort of thing.) and even if that happens you are still up 7. Meaning they have to score another touchdown and a field goal, which wasn't going to happen.

The staff said let our defense win this for us in the second half, which was a great choice.

I really do wonder sometimes if there really are people that would complain if they were hung with a new rope.

I like to see a team that plays all out for every qtr. If by chance they get a 4 or 5 TD lead then the 2nd and 3rd string can get valuable playing time. It rubs me raw to see an OC put the brakes on an offense and make a game closer than it should have been.

I agree but that big play may very well happen by throwing the ball to Penn
State (if you remember Penn State kind of has a niche for that sort of thing.) and even if that happens you are still up 7. Meaning they have to score another touchdown and a field goal, which wasn't going to happen.

The staff said let our defense win this for us in the second half, which was a great choice.

I'm not saying make risky throws. But quick slants, screens, TE dumps, etc. are pretty high percentage plays. Something to move the ball.

I realize they'd still be down 7. But I think that perhaps you underestimate the spark that kind of play might give the opponent. If that's going to give them a big spark (see: Tyler Sash pick 6 against Indiana last year), I would feel a lot better having a 14-point cushion to weather the storm.

Shouldn't you be on your own board enjoying your last win of the year?

I am on my board...I'm lucky that way...having two boards and all.

And yes, I'm all celebrating ISU's 3rd win on its way to bowl eligibility, though that's a topic for another thread. So sheagle, take your own advice and go find a board you like better if I'm buggin' you.

I'm not saying make risky throws. But quick slants, screens, TE dumps, etc. are pretty high percentage plays. Something to move the ball.

I realize they'd still be down 7. But I think that perhaps you underestimate the spark that kind of play might give the opponent. If that's going to give them a big spark (see: Tyler Sash pick 6 against Indiana last year), I would feel a lot better having a 14-point cushion to weather the storm.

I know what you're saying and I normally agree. I usually hate conservative football but last night our defense was that damn good and I understand why the coaching staff would not want Ricky to throw so much. He was making some stupid passes I thought (actually might have been his worst game so far, against a good defense though, but anyways).

The way the defense was playing you might as well punt it instead of have Ricky make a stupid pass (he usually makes his mistakes on those short passes and those are the ones that go for touchdowns) and giving them the ball closer.

Everyone posting about hate conservative would be yelling the loudest had Ricky been INT for a pick 6 or something saying what are we doing. Enjoy a great Hawkeye performance no need to get to aggressive with our defense.

People can't complain if we win; people can't complain if we lose.

Why then do you run a message board again?

Because if it's simply to get a bunch of people to nod their heads at everything say and write, you're a bit mistaken in that belief.

Another posts reminds me: you can be as comfortable as you want with our defense and a 2-touchdown lead, but apparently many are quick to forget how bad our special teams have been this year.

Last edited:
My only concern with conservative play calling is that it puts your QB in bad third and long situations. That is a good way to get the guy killed or to have him make a mistake.

i just think he didnt want to run up the score. we really stopped taking chances deep after the goal line stop in start of 2nd half. just ran the clock out.

Latest posts