Why were we so Conservative in that 2nd half?

Look at the context of the game...

I agree that we're conservative, and most often I'm okay with that. But I DON'T like it when we get uber-conservative, like we did last night. Every now and then we do that, and it gets me every time.

a variety of circumstances came together. Iowa starts the half with a 17-3 lead. PSU gets the ball to start the half, chews up half the 3rd quarter and ends up turning over the ball at Iowa's 1-inch line. The only goal for Iowa in that instance is to get a first down and move away from the goal line. From 3rd and 4 at the 7, Stanzi hits McNutt for 20 yards. Iowa goes back to running it on first down, 4-yard loss by ARob. Then an incomplete pass by Stanzi on 2nd down and Iowa calls a run on 3rd and 13, which gains 11 yards. The 3rd down call was conservative, no doubt, but no complaints about it in that circumstance. If Iowa was truly not trying anything, they wouldn't have attempted a pass on 3rd and 4 from their own 7 yard line.
Iowa gets the ball back at its own 20 on the next possession. Robinson for -4 on first down, then Robinson up the middle for 0 yards, then Stanzi sacked on 3rd down. A true dud of a series. Score is still 17-3.
Iowa then forces a PSU punt and Iowa's first possession of the 4th quarter starts at the Iowa 5-yard line (again, poor field position). After a penalty, Iowa ends up 2nd and 12 on the 3-yard line, Stanzi hits Morse for 18 yards. Then Stanzi up top to DJK for 43 yards to the PSU 36 yard line. Then Stanzi misses DJK open, Sandeman runs a reverse for 3, and another incomplete pass. Iowa takes the delay penalty and punts to put PSU at the 7. Nothing conservative about this drive, just poor execution. And it was the right decision to punt on 4th and 7 with a 14-point lead in the fourth quarter.
Next time Iowa gets it back is with 8:05 left and on our own 15-yard line. Still with a 14-point lead. ARob runs it for 2, (no surprise, you want the clock to run). Stanzi runs for 3, then Stanzi hits DJK short of the marker. Conservative drive, but 14-point lead with 8 minutes to go is a time to be conservative.
Iowa forces a punt, and gets it back with 4:32 left on our own 22. ARob for 9, then Stanzi sneaks for a first down. At this point there is under 4 minutes left so the only goals on offense are to not turn it over and keep the clock moving. ARob for 7, then ARob for -1 on second down and ARob for 2 yards on 3rd. Iowa punts it back to PSU with under 2 minutes to go.
Of the second-half drives, the only head scratcher for me was the last possession of the third quarter, when we got the ball at our own 20-yard line. Run it on first down (PSU expecting it) then run again on second. Then get sacked on 3rd and 14.

It's allright to disagree/complain about playcalling, it's what we as fans do. Just try to look at what is being done in the context of the game.

Re: Look at the context of the game...

a variety of circumstances came together. Iowa starts the half with a 17-3 lead. PSU gets the ball to start the half, chews up half the 3rd quarter and ends up turning over the ball at Iowa's 1-inch line. The only goal for Iowa in that instance is to get a first down and move away from the goal line. From 3rd and 4 at the 7, Stanzi hits McNutt for 20 yards. Iowa goes back to running it on first down, 4-yard loss by ARob. Then an incomplete pass by Stanzi on 2nd down and Iowa calls a run on 3rd and 13, which gains 11 yards. The 3rd down call was conservative, no doubt, but no complaints about it in that circumstance. If Iowa was truly not trying anything, they wouldn't have attempted a pass on 3rd and 4 from their own 7 yard line.
Iowa gets the ball back at its own 20 on the next possession. Robinson for -4 on first down, then Robinson up the middle for 0 yards, then Stanzi sacked on 3rd down. A true dud of a series. Score is still 17-3.
Iowa then forces a PSU punt and Iowa's first possession of the 4th quarter starts at the Iowa 5-yard line (again, poor field position). After a penalty, Iowa ends up 2nd and 12 on the 3-yard line, Stanzi hits Morse for 18 yards. Then Stanzi up top to DJK for 43 yards to the PSU 36 yard line. Then Stanzi misses DJK open, Sandeman runs a reverse for 3, and another incomplete pass. Iowa takes the delay penalty and punts to put PSU at the 7. Nothing conservative about this drive, just poor execution. And it was the right decision to punt on 4th and 7 with a 14-point lead in the fourth quarter.
Next time Iowa gets it back is with 8:05 left and on our own 15-yard line. Still with a 14-point lead. ARob runs it for 2, (no surprise, you want the clock to run). Stanzi runs for 3, then Stanzi hits DJK short of the marker. Conservative drive, but 14-point lead with 8 minutes to go is a time to be conservative.
Iowa forces a punt, and gets it back with 4:32 left on our own 22. ARob for 9, then Stanzi sneaks for a first down. At this point there is under 4 minutes left so the only goals on offense are to not turn it over and keep the clock moving. ARob for 7, then ARob for -1 on second down and ARob for 2 yards on 3rd. Iowa punts it back to PSU with under 2 minutes to go.
Of the second-half drives, the only head scratcher for me was the last possession of the third quarter, when we got the ball at our own 20-yard line. Run it on first down (PSU expecting it) then run again on second. Then get sacked on 3rd and 14.

It's allright to disagree/complain about playcalling, it's what we as fans do. Just try to look at what is being done in the context of the game.
And if I remember correctly (which is always questionable), Ricky audibilized into the 3rd and 13 running play. At least, that's what I thought I saw. That doesn't mean it wasn't originally a running play and he switched sides to run to, but it may have been a safe pass and he thought better of it.

After reading all this you guys simply need to ask yourself. Gong into the game if someone says Iowa will win by 3 touchdowns and hold PSU to a field goal. We would of all been jumping all over that. In my book Kirk and company know best how to win football games, I will leave that up to him...I will show up and yell and scream and support them in their journeys. We beat one of the true blue bloods of football and Kirk's record against Joe Pa is second to no one...

After reading all this you guys simply need to ask yourself. Gong into the game if someone says Iowa will win by 3 touchdowns and hold PSU to a field goal. We would of all been jumping all over that. In my book Kirk and company know best how to win football games, I will leave that up to him...I will show up and yell and scream and support them in their journeys. We beat one of the true blue bloods of football and Kirk's record against Joe Pa is second to no one...

I agree with that. But, since most fans around here it seems don't count the pick 6, kickoff return, short field TD against Arizona as "legit" TD's, or the TD that ISU scored, then we don't get to count Prater's either. Tell people before the game that we would win 17-3, and they might be a little disappointed/concerned about that.

I would agree with this. While I felt confident that we were in good shape this weekend against PSU- I never really felt like the game was locked up. Just my opinion.

I agree with that. But, since most fans around here it seems don't count the pick 6, kickoff return, short field TD against Arizona as "legit" TD's, or the TD that ISU scored, then we don't get to count Prater's either. Tell people before the game that we would win 17-3, and they might be a little disappointed/concerned about that.

I can't think of any resonable or sane person that would be either dissapointed or concerned about a 17-3 victory against Penn State.

For those that thought we played too conservatively here is a list of drives in the 2nd half including the game score and time remaining when the drive started. Please point to specific instances in which we were too conservative and what you think we should have done differently. Be sure to include specifics on why you made the decision that you did.

1st and 10 at IA 1yd line, 7min left in 3rd Quarter, up 17-3
1st and 10 at IOWA 1
Ricky Stanzi rush for no gain to the Iowa 1.
2nd and 10 at IOWA 1
IOWA penalty 0 yard Delay of Game accepted.
2nd and 10 at IOWA 1
Adam Robinson rush for 6 yards to the Iowa 7.
3rd and 4 at IOWA 7
Ricky Stanzi pass complete to Marvin McNutt for 20 yards to the Iowa 27 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at IOWA 27
Adam Robinson rush for a loss of 3 yards to the Iowa 24.
2nd and 13 at IOWA 24
Ricky Stanzi pass incomplete to Adam Robinson.
3rd and 13 at IOWA 24
Adam Robinson rush for 12 yards to the Iowa 36.
4th and 1 at IOWA 36
Ryan Donahue punt for 37 yards, returned by Devon Smith for 3 yards to the PnSt 30.

DRIVE TOTALS: IOWA drive: 6 plays 35 yards, 03:32 IOWA PUNT

1st and 10 IA 20, 2min left in 3rd Quarter, up 17-3
Iowa at 2:40
1st and 10 at IOWA 20
Adam Robinson rush for a loss of 4 yards to the Iowa 16.
2nd and 14 at IOWA 16
Adam Robinson rush for no gain to the Iowa 16.
3rd and 14 at IOWA 16
Ricky Stanzi sacked by Michael Mauti for a loss of 5 yards to the Iowa 11.
4th and 19 at IOWA 11
Ryan Donahue punt for 53 yards, returned by Justin Brown for 13 yards to the PnSt 49.

DRIVE TOTALS: IOWA drive: 3 plays -9 yards, 02:06 IOWA PUNT

1st and 10 IA 5, 13min left in 4th Quarter, up 17-3
Iowa at 13:38
1st and 10 at IOWA 5
Adam Robinson rush for 2 yards to the Iowa 7.
2nd and 8 at IOWA 7
IOWA penalty 4 yard Holding accepted.
2nd and 12 at IOWA 3
Ricky Stanzi pass complete to Brett Morse for 18 yards to the Iowa 21 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at IOWA 21
Ricky Stanzi pass complete to Derrell Johnson-Koulianos for 43 yards to the PnSt 36 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at PSU 36
Ricky Stanzi pass incomplete.
2nd and 10 at PSU 36
Colin Sandeman rush for 3 yards to the PnSt 33.
3rd and 7 at PSU 33
Ricky Stanzi pass incomplete to Adam Robinson.
4th and 7 at PSU 33
IOWA penalty 5 yard Delay of Game accepted.
4th and 12 at PSU 38
Ryan Donahue punt for 31 yards, downed at the PnSt 7.

DRIVE TOTALS: IOWA drive: 6 plays 57 yards, 02:43 IOWA PUNT

1st and 10 IA 15yd line, 7min left in the 4th quarter, up 17-3

1st and 10 at IOWA 15
Adam Robinson rush for 2 yards to the Iowa 17.
2nd and 8 at IOWA 17
Ricky Stanzi rush for 3 yards to the Iowa 20.
3rd and 5 at IOWA 20
Ricky Stanzi pass complete to Derrell Johnson-Koulianos for 3 yards to the Iowa 23.
4th and 2 at IOWA 23
Ryan Donahue punt for 35 yards, fair catch by Devon Smith at the PnSt 42.

DRIVE TOTALS: IOWA drive: 3 plays 8 yards, 01:42 IOWA PUNT

1st and 10 IA 22yd line, 4:32 left in 4th Q, up 17-3
1st and 10 at IOWA 22
Adam Robinson rush for 9 yards to the Iowa 31.
2nd and 1 at IOWA 31
Ricky Stanzi rush for 1 yard to the Iowa 32 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at IOWA 32
Adam Robinson rush for 7 yards to the Iowa 39.
2nd and 3 at IOWA 39
Timeout IOWA, clock 2:25.
2nd and 3 at IOWA 39
Adam Robinson rush for a loss of 1 yard to the Iowa 38.
3rd and 4 at IOWA 38
Adam Robinson rush for a loss of 2 yards to the Iowa 36.
4th and 6 at IOWA 36
Timeout PENN ST, clock 1:53.
4th and 6 at IOWA 36
Ryan Donahue punt for 45 yards, returned by Chaz Powell for a loss of 3 yards to the PnSt 16.

DRIVE TOTALS: IOWA drive: 5 plays 14 yards, 02:52 IOWA PUNT

Last edited:
Our overall play selection in the 2nd half:
14 runs (including 2QB sneaks) and 9 passes.

If you factor out the last drive which started with 4min left in the game up by 2tds the play selection was 9 runs (including 2 QB sneaks) and 9 passes.

That doesn't strike me as ultra conservative.

I can't think of any resonable or sane person that would be either dissapointed or concerned about a 17-3 victory against Penn State.

Against an AVERAGE Penn State team? This ain't 2008. This Nittany Lion team looks like 8-4 AT BEST. Putting up just 17 points is a little dissappointing. Maybe my expectations are a little high, but that just doesn't sound like many points.

We also were 2-10 on 3rd downs. I don't care what the score is, I'd like to see us convert on more than two 3rd downs.

Last edited:
I understand we were up 17-3. But really? It seemed to me like every play was a -1 yard rush or a run for no gain. It was kind nice to see us throw the ball a little bit in the 4th. Im just glad we got a good W tonite against a "decent" Penn St. team. We were the dominant offensive team in the 1st half and it seemed to me like we held back a bit and we could have impressed the Polls by putting up more points but we aren't Oregon lol. Also I loved all the praise the commentators were giving us like comparing to Alabama. LETS GO HAWKS AND COULDN'T ASK FOR A BETTER BYE WEEK GETTING PREPARED FOR B*TCHIGAN!

I hate to say that I agree....I just hope when the day comes and we need to continue scoring TD after TD that we can make it happen. It just seems like we take our foot off the gas when we could really make a statement. Not so much to the Polls as who cares what they say but more so to confirm our capabilities. For everything they do that makes me struggle you cannot complain with Kirks results. Go Hawks!! Next up Denard....lets deflate that heisman head that is swelling!!

Who the hell cares? We won, and won convincingly.

Guys who have MUCH more football knowledge than you, are making the decisions that they believe will give us the best chance to win. Why not let the the best aspect of our team (punting/defense) go out there and win after we have a 17-0 lead?

Who the hell cares? We won, and won convincingly.

Guys who have MUCH more football knowledge than you, are making the decisions that they believe will give us the best chance to win. Why not let the the best aspect of our team (punting/defense) go out there and win after we have a 17-0 lead?

I'm certainly not calling for anyone's head. I'm just voicing what I would like to see. I'm entitled to my opinion, whether it always meshes with Kirk's or not.

Against an AVERAGE Penn State team? This ain't 2008. This Nittany Lion team looks like 8-4 AT BEST. Putting up just 17 points is a little dissappointing. Maybe my expectations are a little high, but that just doesn't sound like many points.

We also were 2-10 on 3rd downs. I don't care what the score is, I'd like to see us convert on more than two 3rd downs.

We did anything we wanted to Penn State offensively in the first half and we would have continued to do that in the 2nd half had we needed to. If you are that hung up on point totals than you care about the wrong things.

Please review the drive chart I posted earlier and note specific instances in which we were "too conservative".

We did anything we wanted to Penn State offensively in the first half and we would have continued to do that in the 2nd half had we needed to. If you are that hung up on point totals than you care about the wrong things.

Please review the drive chart I posted earlier and note specific instances in which we were "too conservative".

I'm happy we won the game, don't get me wrong. And watching the replay on ESPN3, I think I agree with you to a degree that we didn't get too conservative. It was more an issue of execution than anything else. I do still wish we'd have gone for one more score, though. We just don't ever seem to really put that last nail in the coffin, and win in convincing fashion on the scoreboard, rather than just the stat sheet.

I understand we were up 17-3. But really? It seemed to me like every play was a -1 yard rush or a run for no gain. It was kind nice to see us throw the ball a little bit in the 4th. Im just glad we got a good W tonite against a "decent" Penn St. team. We were the dominant offensive team in the 1st half and it seemed to me like we held back a bit and we could have impressed the Polls by putting up more points but we aren't Oregon lol. Also I loved all the praise the commentators were giving us like comparing to Alabama. LETS GO HAWKS AND COULDN'T ASK FOR A BETTER BYE WEEK GETTING PREPARED FOR B*TCHIGAN!

Our D was playing well enough that the only realistic chance PSU had to come back and make it close was if we threw a couple pics with good returns, etc. Playing it conservative was probably the high-percentage move for getting the W.

After all of this rhetoric, guess I'm torn.

It's maddening to see us dink around the entire 2nd half. Either open it up or bring in the 2nd team offense and let them get reps. At least let Coker get reps.

On the other hand, our 2nd half looked alot like "Tessell ball" and we know how successful OSU's been since 2005.

Short term win...perhaps a bit of a long-term loss. Time will tell.

Latest posts